Cutting out the "X" behind the back seat

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Trying something different with my stereo. Will cutting the "X" behind the rear seatback affect the structure..I'm thinking it's gotta be there for something.

And what you are planning with audio, that need this cutoff?

you'll have to wait for pics..naw..Maybe adding 1 more sub and have a 2 12" blow through up the rear deck and 2 towards the front of the car instead of a 3 12" blow through...And a reclining rear seat. did it in my caprice so i'm hoping it will work in the 8.i allready made a amp rack for my sub amp,jbl amp, and whatever that other black box is that was on the rear shelf.

Its still up in the air though..

That piece of structural bracing is there for a reason. Unless you want your car to twist like a pretzel everytime you corner or gas it.

There's really no reason to cut it - nothig of the audio parts can be put there because if the seat back. Nevertheless, there are enouth room between the X-steel.

Sappers is cut out and yes it does make the car a little more loose.

i've been thinking about it...Alot of poeple on carauidio forums have done it with no ill affect. If i decide to do it i prob would put a metal support along the top and bottom.

there is very little tension, the car would have to twist a great deal for them to even do anything... if the car is twisting enough that those things are pushed on you are probably screwed anyway, they are very thin and wouldn't support much

I'm assuming they are mostly to support the back seat

Before this goes any further, it is notecable! Its not severe but you can feel it on rough roads and through the turns. My car with no braces and on air ride was still much less flexable then Sapperfires with his brace removed. SCP braces and subframes would prolly kill most of the flex but the chasis WILL FLEX MORE without it and in corners and rough roads you will notice it.

I have had mine cut out for a long time like a couple years. I have not really noticed much of a difference. I just got tired of trying to work on my stereo with it in so I took it out. As far as support for the seat it does not affect the back rest. You can still sit back there and e fine.

I have had mine cut out for a long time like a couple years. I have not really noticed much of a difference. I just got tired of trying to work on my stereo with it in so I took it out. As far as support for the seat it does not affect the back rest. You can still sit back there and e fine.

lol, maybe if your 5' tall....I'm 6'4" and have to have the seat all the way back and that leaves 0 room..Even the pass seat normal theres very little room..My car is strictly a 2 seater, 3 seater if someone puts there feet up and sprawls out.

I know that I just meant someone can sit back there if need be and not fall back through without the x there. I'm 6 foot and have to have my seat back as well. I try not to have anymore than 2 at a time in my car.

I know that I just meant someone can sit back there if need be and not fall back through without the x there. I'm 6 foot and have to have my seat back as well. I try not to have anymore than 2 at a time in my car.

yeah, i thought my responce came out wrong..lol..

I cut mine for 2 reasons, 1 it was already stress fractured in half, and my box is so big that there was no way it was gonna fit thru the trunk opening...not only did I have to cut the brace out, but I had to roll the back dash up about 2 inches to get it thru that way..and then Beat the dash back flat with a rubber mallet

the thing in the little black box you moved is your compass sensor, as long as it stay flat and stationary, you're compass will still work if calibrated properly

what exact bass effect are you aiming for with your audio setup? I like alot of rock and some rap, I've got a Super Bass ProBox ported with 2 12" Kicker CVRs pushed by a 1000 watt Memphis amp, mine hits so hard that with the back seat removed, my rear view mirror will fall off the windshield...with very little body rattle

none the less,
there's a bit of change, the body creaks a tad when going over steep drive slopes at angles, but as long as you aren't racing it on a track..it doesn't make that much of a difference...

I will be replacing mine one day with a better brace and sub-braces...

Good luck with your project...If you figure out reclining rear seats,I'm interested in doing a rear seat fold mod

what exact bass effect are you aiming for with your audio setup? I like alot of rock and some rap, I've got a Super Bass ProBox ported with 2 12" Kicker CVRs pushed by a 1000 watt Memphis amp, mine hits so hard that with the back seat removed, my rear view mirror will fall off the windshield...with very little body rattle

none the less,
there's a bit of change, the body creaks a tad when going over steep drive slopes at angles, but as long as you aren't racing it on a track..it doesn't make that much of a difference...

Good luck with your project...If you figure out reclining rear seats,I'm interested in doing a rear seat fold mod

Good to know, I was gonna buy one of those Proboxes but didnt think it would fit. I ended up buying a prefab box (4.5 cf) for my 12 Kicker CVX's. I have the Big 3 done and have a planet audio BB2400.1 pushin right around 2000 rms.

I cut mine for 2 reasons, 1 it was already stress fractured in half, and my box is so big that there was no way it was gonna fit thru the trunk opening...not only did I have to cut the brace out, but I had to roll the back dash up about 2 inches to get it thru that way..and then Beat the dash back flat with a rubber mallet

the thing in the little black box you moved is your compass sensor, as long as it stay flat and stationary, you're compass will still work if calibrated properly

none the less,

Yeah, thought it was for the compass. thanks

As for the rearview mirror.....argggg.I've reglued mine 4 times and finally decided to reinforce the sh it out of it. i glued the metal tab to a little "saucer" to give it more surface area to adhere. Then glued support "braces" from the metal tab to the saucer. Then took off the adhesive side of the saucer, put some super glue on it and its been fine so far. Put elec tape to cover everything up and it looks great.

i've been thinking about it...Alot of poeple on carauidio forums have done it with no ill affect.
keep in mind that the car audio guys dont really beat on there cars like some of us do. i began cutting my x brace and decided against it. if you plan on cutting it out, i would at least try to reinforce it or buy the braces that laser has on his car

I've done alot of car stereo installs and was a professional for several years. If you cut the side to side bracing out behind the seat the back deck will have a high pitched squeak at the joints when driving in a coupe car. sedans not so much. No amount of damping will help.

well i just ripped everything out..doesnt look like i'm going to cut it.

on a side note though..right now i have a portion of the rear deck cut out for my subs to fire upwards through the rear deck...The int panel/board that goes across the rear deck is pretty much soilid minus the holes for the stock amp to breath...i'm thinking that would cut out alot of the bass going into the cabin...you guys got any ideas on how to open it up w/o making it look like sh it?

Do a fold down rear seat mod...then post pics when you have it working so I can copy it

Members online

No members online now.
Back