custom cams & head work by summers end

revolutionaryconcepts

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OOk well I finally found a company here locally that will grind a set of custom cams for me lol, cheaply too. I am also going to send off the heads, intake, and exhaust mani's and have them cleaned up, decked and cc'd.

What i'm after is if any of you guys have put any time into cam profiling for these things, the factory cams for the gen2's is .354" intake and .340 lift on the exhaust sides, not sure about the duration, but, basically with the head work i'll be able to sustain ve through about 7800 rpm, maybe 8000+ but its iffy, any ideas for a starting point?

Starting point? Make sure they don't take too much plastic out of the intake. ;)

Better watch that compression ratio if you're going to have the heads milled, too.

how did the story end with your LS? didn't Ford refuse to cover you under warranty?

OOOk, ya lol the intake will pretty much be left alone just port match the shape and change the injector angle a tad

it ended poorly with ford, basically a buddy of mine in the dealer tried to push it through and ford rejected it thanks to the dick cheese in the other dealer revoking the warranty status, my friend called hotline and told them to send an engineer out to inspect the vehicle to prove that there was no modifications that would result in the failure and ford called him back and the engineers exact words were ":q:q:q:q him let em sue us" and I dont have the time or the energy to sue ford lol, i just bought an engine 800 delivered with less than 40k on the clock, it will do while im building the next

the cams will run aprox 50 bux a piece!!! i know right lol and I was asking if anyone knew a good starting point for a custom cam grind, the port work is being done by argueably one of the best in the north east part of the country so im not worried about it

I am a little concerned about the compression ratio, err rather not about the ratio itself, im more concerned with mashing a valve when vct advances the cam timing, the higher I can get the comp ratio the better, im going to have it tuned for 100-105 octane fuel, I just developed a fuel modifier that turns about 16 gallons of 93 into between 100-106 cheaply so thats not an issue

I'm very interested in your development regarding fuel additive. Tell us more!
KS

ook well im not going to tell you the formula :) but I will tell you that there is nothing more toxic or dangerous in it than regular gasoline, matter of fact most of the chemicals in it are already in pump gas. It is o2 and converter safe and will not cause accelerated top end wear or heat spikes like mtbe or jet fuel, it also will not boil out of the gas or evaporate, which is a big deal for me seeing as how surface temps here in dallas get over 120 from time to time in the summer, i'm currently working on tm'ing the mixture and looking into the legistics of shipping, but it WILL take 91-93 octane pump gas and reliably turn it into 100-104 tested ron and mon verified, lol its good stuff and its cheap too pm me

Not to start a argument... but i don't see a custom cam for 50 bucks!!! seeings how stock or aftermarket cams are atleast 4-8 times as much and there production cams lol.:confused:

ya well lower ball joints for the gen 2 ls are over 900$ from the factory too so.. ya, basically this is a privately owned race shop here in dallas, pretty much does it as a hobby, I couldnt believe it either, and its 50 a cam after i pay the 400 to have the molds cast, but should be fun

Factory cams can easily enough be re-ground. Small runs are most easily fabricated from steel 'wagon wheels' and heavy-wall tubing.
KS

ya I mean its not bad, I figure what the hell for the cost of a programmer might as well give some cams a shot, seeing as how the factory cams prob wont even let the engine idle with the heads when there done lol

all this make power above a beyond talk is making me all giddy! LOL

Should be interesting to see the second cammed LS.... just make sure numbers come this way or the site may riot! LMAO

its the real deal, and cheap too, see most people say "run av gas, its like... over 100 octane...." well ya thats technically true, however av gas is designed for farm equipment, and actually burns much slower than even regular pump gas thanks to its additive blend or lack thereof, thus making it not suited for high rpm applications. my additive will bump a full tank of premium to at or over 100 octane reliably, and also contains synthetic top end lubricants and deturgents, and is o2 and cat safe :), not sure about street legal but :q:q:q:q who cares lol. Im working out the legalities of shipping it now, so when I get that straight ya'll be the first to know

why are you doing head porting if you dont even know what the cams are going to be... head work should not be done at all till the cams are done and valve to piston clearance is figured out.. oh and if your doing this much work... why arent you working on bigger valve reliefs in the pistons or new pistons/ can the stock ones handle higher compression?... have them cut for more room... one thing these engines really dont need is more compression... they just need more lift and duration... are you gen 1 or gen 2... thats makes a really big difference sense your going to be messing with the variable valve timing after the cams are custom ground???

why are you doing head porting if you dont even know what the cams are going to be... head work should not be done at all till the cams are done and valve to piston clearance is figured out.. oh and if your doing this much work... why arent you working on bigger valve reliefs in the pistons or new pistons/ can the stock ones handle higher compression?... have them cut for more room... one thing these engines really dont need is more compression... they just need more lift and duration... are you gen 1 or gen 2... thats makes a really big difference sense your going to be messing with the variable valve timing after the cams are custom ground???

He's got a 2nd gen

thats what makes it all tricky, I dont know the crush depth of the gen 2 3.9 untill I pull it apart, bad thing about that is that I cannot anywhere find torque spec's for the rotating assembly and ladder frame assembly :( I'm not really going after increased compression, im more or less on the par of having everything cc'd and matched. As far as the cams are concerned im shooting for a 8k power band. @6800 rpm assuming 90% VE were lookin at about 422 cfm, same set up at 8k would have to flow 496 cfm, which could be a problem with our manifolds, anyone know off hand what they will flow? So my mark with the heads and manifolds is 500 cfm, Dunno if I'll be able to get there but we'll see. There really isnt room for bigger valves, at least not while maintaing good reliability. How polished everything gets will revolve around the cam profile when its all said and done. I'm also working on having my machine shop fabricate some titanium valve train parts, ie one piece buckets, retainers etc

that gen 2 variable valve timing is going to be the hardest thing to work around

I know... I've put custom cams in other ford engines with vct but they didnt have nearly the stretch of this system, I'm afriad that if I go too crazy on the lift or deck the heads too much they'll crunch lol

So I want cams, the last post on this thread occured in April..

WHATS THE DEAL MAN?!?!?!?!?!?! I smell open-ended lies!

I'm waiting for cams until I make my decision on all motor or FI (different cams for each scenario, obviously).

Im going the N20 route, turbos and superchargers cost too damn much, if a whipple falls in my lap you better bet your ass its gonna end up on the LS tho..

I haven't seen revolution guy post anything recently, does he even have a LS anymore???

Members online

No members online now.
Back