Cruise Control StoppedWorking

Raesby222

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've got a 93 Mark VIII and my cruise control stopped working a while back... any ideas? Is this a common problem with marks? I truly appreciate any help you can offer me! Thanks!!
Rae

67Continental said:
yeah, the fuses are ok. my horn works too.
I have the same problem and I haven't fixed it yet either because i dont own a manual yet and if it is the CC module i am not ready to buy a new one.

maybe someone can tell us how and where to locate the mechanical parts of the CC.

The CC's electronic module is under a cover attached to the drivers side strut tower (i think). check and see if everything is hooked up. if so, it could possibly be a mechanical problem. what ya need to do is see if the CC is hooked up properly to the throttle. if it is, ya prolly need a new module. If your CC light does not come on when you try to turn on CC from the steering wheel, then it is prolly not a mechanical issue, but an electronic issue -- the module.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Here ya go...start troubleshootin'...

PINPOINT TEST A: SPEED CONTROL DOES NOT WORK

² A1: VERIFY POWER TO SPEED CONTROL SERVO
² A2: CHECK IGNITION CIRCUIT
² A3: CHECK MODULE GROUND CIRCUIT
² A4: CHECK DEACTIVATOR SWITCH CIRCUIT
² A5: VERIFY POWER AT DEACTIVATOR SWITCH HARNESS CONNECTOR.
² A6: CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUIT BETWEEN DEACTIVATOR SWITCH AND SPEED CONTROL SERVO
² A7: CHECK BRAKE SWITCH
² A8: CHECK BRAKE CIRCUIT
² A9: CHECK FOR STUCK ON SWITCH
² A10: CHECK ON SWITCH OPERATION
² A11: CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUIT IN SWITCH GROUND
² A12: CHECK FOR STUCK COMMAND SWITCHES
² A13: CHECK SET/ACCEL SWITCH OPERATION
² A14: CHECK VSS CIRCUIT
² A15: CHECK VSS
² A16: CHECK FOR BROKEN OR BINDING CABLE

=========

PINPOINT TEST A: SPEED CONTROL DOES NOT WORK

A1 VERIFY POWER TO SPEED CONTROL SERVO

l Disconnect 14290 harness connector from speed control servo assembly.

l Use a VOM to make the specified measurements at the connector.

l With ignition switch in RUN position, measure voltage between Pin 7 (B+, Circuit 687) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

l Is there battery voltage?

Yes
GO to «A4».

No
GO to «A2».
==========

A2 CHECK IGNITION CIRCUIT

l With ignition switch in RUN position, measure voltage between Pin 7 (B+, Circuit 687) and a ground point on the chassis.

Yes
GO to «A3».

No
SERVICE ignition fuse or circuit as required.
==========

A3 CHECK MODULE GROUND CIRCUIT

l Measure resistance between Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57) and a ground point on the chassis.

l Is resistance less than 1 ohm?

No
SERVICE ground circuit.

Yes
REPEAT Step «A1».
===========

A4 CHECK DEACTIVATOR SWITCH CIRCUIT

l Place ignition switch in OFF position.

l With no brakes applied, place a 12 volt circuit test light between Pin 9 and Pin 10 of the servo harness connector.

l Is the light illuminated?

Yes
Go to «A7».

No
Go to «A5».
===========

A5 VERIFY POWER AT DEACTIVATOR SWITCH HARNESS CONNECTOR.

l Remove 14401 harness connector from deactivator switch.

l Place a 12-volt circuit test light between Circuit 10 (LG/R)(Pin 1) of the deactivator switch connector and chassis ground.

l Is light illuminated?

Yes
GO to «A6».

NO
REPLACE blown fuse 11 or open Circuit 10 (LG/R).
============

A6 CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUIT BETWEEN DEACTIVATOR SWITCH AND SPEED CONTROL SERVO

l Measure resistance of Circuit 146 from deactivator switch connector to Pin 9 (Circuit 146) of speed control servo connector.

l Is resistance less than 1 ohm?

Yes
REPlace deactivator switch.

No
SERVICE open circuit in between servo and deactivator switch.
============

A7 CHECK BRAKE SWITCH

l With no brakes applied, measure voltage between Pin 4 (BRK, Circuit 511) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

No
GO to «A8».

Yes
REPLACE switch.
============

A8 CHECK BRAKE CIRCUIT

l Measure resistance between Pin 4 (BRK, Circuit 511) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

l Is resistance less than 10 ohms?

Yes
GO to «A9».

No
SERVICE stoplamp bulbs or circuit.
=============

A9 CHECK FOR STUCK ON SWITCH

l With no steering wheel switches depressed, measure voltage between Pin 5 (command, Circuit 151) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

No
GO to «A10».

Yes
REPLACE switch.
==============

A10 CHECK ON SWITCH OPERATION

l With steering wheel ON switch depressed, measure voltage between Pin 5 (command, Circuit 151) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

Yes
GO to «A12».

No
GO to «A11».
==============

A11 CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUIT IN SWITCH GROUND

l With horn depressed, measure voltage between Pin 6 (command RTN, Circuit 461) and chassis ground.

Yes
REPLACE switch.

No
SERVICE open, blown fuse, failed relay or open in switch return circuit.
=============

A12 CHECK FOR STUCK COMMAND SWITCHES

l With no steering wheel switches depressed, measure resistance between Pin 5 (command, Circuit 151) and Pin 6 (command RTN, Circuit 461).

l Is resistance greater than 3k ohms?

Yes
GO to «A13».

No
REPLACE inoperative switch.
============

A13 CHECK SET/ACCEL SWITCH OPERATION

l With the SET/ACCEL switch depressed, measure resistance between Pin 5 (command, Circuit 151) and Pin 6 (command RTN, Circuit 461).

l Is resistance between 646 and 714 ohms?

Yes
GO to «A14».

No
REPLACE switch.
==============

A14 CHECK VSS CIRCUIT

l Measure resistance between Pin 3 (VSS, Circuit 150) and Pin 10 (GND, Circuit 57).

l Is resistance between 200 and 300 ohms?

Yes
GO to «A16».

No
GO to «A15».
===============

A15 CHECK VSS

l Remove VSS connector.

l Measure resistance across VSS terminals.

l Is resistance between 200 and 300 ohms?

Yes
CHECK for opens in wiring or short in Circuit 150.

No
REPLACE VSS.
=============

A16 CHECK FOR BROKEN OR BINDING CABLE

l Remove speed control actuator from speed control servo assembly.

l Check for broken or binding cable by pulling on cable ball slug to ensure throttle moves freely.

l Is cable OK?

Yes
REPLACE speed control servo assembly.

No
REPLACE speed control actuator.

If anyone wants the diagrams, post your email address and I can send them. I can't make the screen shots small enough to post here and be legible.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much - a question: i had to have a daytime running lights module installed to pass inspection. i removed this module because i was getting constant errors on the message center about my lights always being on. i see that there are specific reference to DRL in the diagrams you sent me. I wonder if there is something I needed to do afte rremoving the DRL. I COMPLETELY removed the DRL box.

I take it those diargrams were readable? I compressed them down a lot to fit them on here, so if you can't really make them out, let me know and I'll take newer screen shots without all the fuzziness.

As far as DRLs, no idea. It took me forever to find the info on the cruise control. lol I'll have a look around on that CD again tonight and if I can find anything, I'll email it to you.

i solved my problem - i had a 20 amp fuse in the horn spot instead of a 25. i replaced it with a 25 and voila - problem solved. how strange is that?????

67Continental said:
i solved my problem - i had a 20 amp fuse in the horn spot instead of a 25. i replaced it with a 25 and voila - problem solved. how strange is that?????
I am bowing in your direction, prints please, epjga@verizon.net Thanks, your humble servent, Ed :wrench

I don't have access to those files at work. If someone else doesn't send them to you, I can send them when I get home from work.

Manual on CD?

As far as DRLs, no idea. It took me forever to find the info on the cruise control. lol I'll have a look around on that CD again tonight and if I can find anything, I'll email it to you.

He hasn't posted since 2006, but does anyone know what "CD" he's referring to? I've got the shop manuals for the 98 Mark VIII but his troubleshooting steps seem clearer? Or it just me being more inclined to more patience searching with a mouse as opposed to turning pages?

I see two on ebay. One is a hard CD for $35, the other is emailed for $5. Anybody get either of these?

He hasn't posted since 2006, but does anyone know what "CD" he's referring to? I've got the shop manuals for the 98 Mark VIII but his troubleshooting steps seem clearer? Or it just me being more inclined to more patience searching with a mouse as opposed to turning pages?

I see two on ebay. One is a hard CD for $35, the other is emailed for $5. Anybody get either of these?

He is still on here. Send him a PM and ask what CD he has or had. He doesn't own a Mark anymore as far as I know.

[url]http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=7[/URL]

I've checked both of my shop manuals.without any luck on fixing c.c...I've checked all fuses in engine bay and inside car that are above a 15 rating with none being out as far as I can tell. My car sat for 3.5 months while I was in hospital. Got home battery was dead and wouldn't recharge/hold. So I replaced that. Once I re acclimated to driving I hoped on the.freeway and cruise didn't work. Lights weren't working on steering wheel for a while but month or 2 later worked. Top right resume button seemed not to ne working right mechanically either. All of the things I've mentioned worked fine and hadn't been driven prior to it being parked for 3+ months. August to November in seattle so not hot and not cold.

Since all of this and my 8 surgeries my cash and physical ability is extremely limited.

Any ideas here folks?

Try pushing the buttons on the steering wheel several times, as I have seen them get a bad connection after sitting for long periods. Other than that it's usually the cruise control module that goes bad, which is unlikely if it worked when you parked it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back