Cricket noise from hell in my mark viii!!!!!!

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Ok, so for the last week or so I started hearing a screeching noise coming from the passenger side of the car. I thought it was the brakes but it got worst as time progressed. When I accelerated the car the noise would go away & if I would brake slowly the noise would get worst... brakes right? WRONG! If I happen to brake slowly & downshift at the same time the noise would be gone!:confused:

Tonight everything changed though... I traveled about 35 miles from home & the noise was there from start to finish! It only stopped when the car stopped & I already determined it comes from the rear of the car. I'm worried it may be the ball bearings or something of that nature since I know it's NOT the brakes. I also checked my e-brake & it's not that either.:confused:
I was planning on lifting the car onto a pair of jack stands in the rear, take the rear tires off & let it run to see if I hear the noise.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past?Any suggestions?:confused:

How do you KNOW it's not the brakes...have you taken them apart and done an INSPECTION...take them APART and LOOK at the pads...even if they are thick they can be heat glazed are cracked which WILL normally make them squeel,
also some brands of rim cleaner, normally the spray on kind,can get on the rotors during you cleaning, that stuff gets cooked on the rotors which can also make your brakes squeel

Wear indicators on brake pads sound like this. That is where I would look first.

have you had the wheels off lately? (before the noise) ive seen rust shift between the rotor hat and the hub causing an out of round condition and the squeak is the caliper and pads sliding back and forth following the rotor. try this remove suspect rotor, and grind the hub and the mating surface of the rotor clean and apply antisieze also clean and lube the caliper slide and where the pads ride on the arbor. ive seen this many times and the noise will go away when you brake, also check pad life squealers etc

Prybars are your friend. If it doesn't make any noise, whack it until it does.

How do you KNOW it's not the brakes...

I checked them (didn't take them apart) but they were fine. Plus, when I take a loooooong wide turn to the right on the expressway, the noise completely goes away.

if not the brakes try the ujoints

They just did my transmission 3 weeks ago & this is pretty much when it started happening but very little... I started suspecting the U JOINTS but the noise went away up until last week.

Wheel bearing.

That was my 2nd option after U-joints. I'm worried that it might be the wheel bearing but wouldn't that heat up the wheel? I touched the wheel after a 30 mile trip & it was barely warm.

check lug nuts!

DONE!

just don't break anything

:mad::mad::mad:I'M GOING TO GO AT IT WITH F'ING BRUTE FORCE & WHILE I'M F'ING PULLING I PLAN ON F'ING DENTING MY REAR QUARTER PANEL & I MAY JUST F'ING DECIDE TO BREAK ONE OF MY F'ING VALVE COVERS!!! BUHAHAHAHA.... BUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA.... BUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D:D:D

prying the center nut?

I just wedged a crowbar between two of the lugs (using the ground for leverage) and it held the hub in place while I loosened the crush nut. Once it is loose it is real easy to get off...

Definitely the wheel bearings from the passenger rear wheel. Today I took apart the brakes, tried prying the center nut so I can get to the bearings but had no luck. Any suggestions?
Impact gun.

Go buy one ya cheap bastage! I bought my IR 3/4 from a pawn shop for $11.

try this

put your socket and ratchet on and smack it loose with a hammer or chunk of wood what ever is laying around but buy a impack go 1/2 inch there cheap at harbor frieght and they save you lots of time next time you have to do something dont put the new bearing on with impack

also

if you got a spare tire with a big center hole put it on drop it down then losen it

THIS IS WHY I LOOOOOOVE LVC!!!!!!!!!! We practically get spoon fed with advice on this thread! Laser, I'm going to check out the local pawn shop for air tools. Andrew, that's the safest way to go. Thanks everyone. :)

Members online

Back