Cracked lug nut, can't remove wheel, HELP!

captainkneecap

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After receiving a wonderful screw in my tire, i proceeded in the usual steps to remove my wheel and put on the spare. While doing so i found that the nuts were tightened to an EXTREME by good year when they had put the summer tires on. i was able to get two of them easily with a 4 way bar, not the useless wrench that comes with the car. two more were quite a a fight and the last one has been nearly impossible. Even with 6 feet of pipe we could not get the nut off. While I was at work my father tried to use a hammer and chisel but realized he could damage the rim so he stopped. so now i have half a nut on there, we couldn't get a plug in to the tire, and the fix a flat was a sad desperate useless attempt. Obviously i know we can get it on a trailer and bring it to a shop, but i'm trying to avoid that. if there is some way to get this damn nut off and put on the spare so i can avoid a tow, please let me know!

After receiving a wonderful screw in my tire, i proceeded in the usual steps to remove my wheel and put on the spare. While doing so i found that the nuts were tightened to an EXTREME by good year when they had put the summer tires on. i was able to get two of them easily with a 4 way bar, not the useless wrench that comes with the car. two more were quite a a fight and the last one has been nearly impossible. Even with 6 feet of pipe we could not get the nut off. While I was at work my father tried to use a hammer and chisel but realized he could damage the rim so he stopped. so now i have half a nut on there, we couldn't get a plug in to the tire, and the fix a flat was a sad desperate useless attempt. Obviously i know we can get it on a trailer and bring it to a shop, but i'm trying to avoid that. if there is some way to get this damn nut off and put on the spare so i can avoid a tow, please let me know!
Sure, get an electric impact gun with sockets, or if you have an air compressor, get an air impact wrench, best buy you'll ever make.

+1. I haven't looked at the back of the hub, would it be possible to cut the lug stud from the back and punch it out? Cheaper to replace the stud than a tow.

Oh I just remembered something, there is a tool for cutting off stud nuts. It fits over the nut and you tighten down the bolt which cuts the nut in two pieces. works great, sears may have one or other auto parts places. if you need a new stud just hammer it out then put new stud in position add washers over the new stud and tighten the nut to seat the new stud. Oh! you can probably get a free loaner tool from advance auto, check it out.

Oh I just remembered something, there is a tool for cutting off stud nuts. It fits over the nut and you tighten down the bolt which cuts the nut in two pieces. ...

AKA nut splitter

I removed one by taking vice grips and pinching the end of the nut off. Then spray pb blaster in the opening

Find a socket just a little smaller than whats left of the nut and beat it on with a hammer

Find a socket just a little smaller than whats left of the nut and beat it on with a hammer

I had same issue. One pain in the a** nut wouldn't come off my front passenger wheel and I rounded it. Take a slightly smaller size lug, hammer it over the bolt with relative caution, and grab a torque bar and turn her out. Good luck

I had a nut splitter once. Evidently she didn't like my pick-up line. I blame the rum.

IMG_20130820_110225.jpg

IMG_20130820_110302.jpg

Well once we tried to unlock the car we found my father had left it on accessory for two days.....so i also had a dead battery! We ended up having it towed (for free) and brought to the shop. he was able to get the nut off, ill have to remember to ask him how he did it i was just too excited to get my car back. It ended up being cheaper than i had worried. I also wondered about getting different center caps that don;t have the exposed lug nuts like on the Ultimate and V6 rims. i know the V6 rims are 16s but could they fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-05-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7177ddbd&vxp=mtr

IMG_20130820_110225.jpg

IMG_20130820_110302.jpg

It might be better to just replace the lug nuts that come with covers. The OEM 19mm lug nuts come with chrome covers which makes it difficult to slip on a 19mm or 3/4" socket. I ended up rounding off a few of them as I was torquing them down so I decided just to replace them all.

I had a spare set for my 3000GT which uses the same thread pitch (M12x1.5mm) and it fits well. It uses a 21mm socket and also the length of the shank is a bit longer which sits very close to the hub/rotor but it does not make contact. This is the same style lug used on various makes and models (Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge and Kia) so you can cross reference the Mitsubishi part number MB579420 for better pricing. I believe these are the same lug nuts found on the Sebrings which I've read people use to replace their stock ones.

You can find an entire set of 20 on eBay for around $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-MITSUBIS...fits=Model:3000GT&hash=item5d4080291d&vxp=mtr

i'm sure nobody is stupid enough to go down to the hardware store and just grab a fist full of regular nuts...

however, i can see what you are talking about lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back