Couple of ?'s for QuickLS

Styles

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this in the forum just in case somebody else wants to know.

1. I noticed you did a 2" drop is it by springs? and how much of the ride did you loose? I'm not used to as much body roll that my new 2003 sport v8 has (ex WRX owner) but I love the ride right now for cruising, but when it comes down to the turns I would like to stiffen her up a bit with out loosing too much of the luxury ride felling.

2. Also you have a 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters, how noisy is it? I would like to keep mine as a sleeper but under WOT I want to scare the crap out of people :) Also I'm thinking of 3" instead of 2.5 " because I want to install a supercharger.

3. Have you heard anything new about your supercharger kit yet from boosthead? I found a couple of Eaton m90 on ebay for $200 and I'm sure I can fab out something to make it fit and work, but I'm too familiar with the internals of the 2003 LS (this is my first v8) how much (IYHO) PSI do you think a stock 2003 Sport ls8 head can take safely? I have seen numbers from 3 - 14 PSI ???

Cheers, and thanx for your time,

Eric

P.S. I'm shooting for low 13's to high 12's

Styles said:
I'm asking this in the forum just in case somebody else wants to know.

1. I noticed you did a 2" drop is it by springs? and how much of the ride did you loose? I'm not used to as much body roll that my new 2003 sport v8 has (ex WRX owner) but I love the ride right now for cruising, but when it comes down to the turns I would like to stiffen her up a bit with out loosing too much of the luxury ride felling.

The 2" drop wasn't too bad - but w/bodykit it leaves the car less than 4" off the ground - so have to be careful on slopes, speedbumps...

I also added Howe spring rubbers to reduce the roll further - it is very stiff now - harsh stiff - but corners like on rails. (I also run about 1+ degree of negative camber).

Styles said:
2. Also you have a 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters, how noisy is it? I would like to keep mine as a sleeper but under WOT I want to scare the crap out of people :) Also I'm thinking of 3" instead of 2.5 " because I want to install a supercharger.

The flowmasters are very loud - mustang loud, the V8 sounds pretty mean - but it is a kinda wake your neighbours up loud. If you're looking for something quiter - try Magnaflows or (even quiter) Borla.

Styles said:
3. Have you heard anything new about your supercharger kit yet from boosthead? I found a couple of Eaton m90 on ebay for $200 and I'm sure I can fab out something to make it fit and work, but I'm too familiar with the internals of the 2003 LS (this is my first v8) how much (IYHO) PSI do you think a stock 2003 Sport ls8 head can take safely? I have seen numbers from 3 - 14 PSI ???

Yes - I am Boosthead's ginea pig - infact - an intake and charger casing should be showing up today at my house - I am doing a test fit this weekend to make sure it all fits under the hood before we take the next step. The full kit should be on my car mid-March.

the engine is already running 10.5:1 compression - and you cannot buy stronger internals on the aftermarket - yet. So we are only going to run 4 - 5 psi.

Cool thanx man.. Keep us updated on the supercharger ;)

:yourock:

Quik LS said:
The 2" drop wasn't too bad - but w/bodykit it leaves the car less than 4" off the ground - so have to be careful on slopes, speedbumps...

I also added Howe spring rubbers to reduce the roll further - it is very stiff now - harsh stiff - but corners like on rails. (I also run about 1+ degree of negative camber).

The flowmasters are very loud - mustang loud, the V8 sounds pretty mean - but it is a kinda wake your neighbours up loud. If you're looking for something quiter - try Magnaflows or (even quiter) Borla.

Yes - I am Boosthead's ginea pig - infact - an intake and charger casing should be showing up today at my house - I am doing a test fit this weekend to make sure it all fits under the hood before we take the next step. The full kit should be on my car mid-March.

the engine is already running 10.5:1 compression - and you cannot buy stronger internals on the aftermarket - yet. So we are only going to run 4 - 5 psi.

jdsimons said:
here is the supercharger i am placing an order with when it comes available. I have done much research though as to how much power this thing is going to add. here is a link. this thing is gonna be sweet.. lol there are actual photos of the supercharger on the vehicle. So all those looking to gain a couple horsepower here ya go..lol
http://www.specialvehicles.com/content/view/43/1/
http://www.specialvehicles.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery&catid=5

here's some background for you:
- they have been promoting a SuperCharged LS since 2000 - never could get it to work and actually sold one of their Lses without the Supercharger on it. No doubt with the recent unlocking of the PCM - they probably have it working now - but at $5,500 is doesn't sound like big value.

i was also talking to a couple of wrench heads..lol -- mechanics-- that said they have no idea how it would work with the engine already at a high compression but needless to say i bet this thing does add some pony's.

Quik LS said:
here's some background for you:
- they have been promoting a SuperCharged LS since 2000 - never could get it to work and actually sold one of their Lses without the Supercharger on it. No doubt with the recent unlocking of the PCM - they probably have it working now - but at $5,500 is doesn't sound like big value.

Is it your thinking that the SC you are working with will be cheaper?

jdsimons said:
i was also talking to a couple of wrench heads..lol -- mechanics-- that said they have no idea how it would work with the engine already at a high compression but needless to say i bet this thing does add some pony's.

we will all hit the same limit - the engine has stock internals at 10.5:1 compression, the trannie is good for 340hp, the rearend.....

MikeB said:
Is it your thinking that the SC you are working with will be cheaper?

yep - will not have all the pieces put together till the end of the March - but looks to be in the $3,500-$4,000 range - depending on the 'tuning' required / intercooling sytle.

Quik LS said:
yep - will not have all the pieces put together till the end of the March - but looks to be in the $3,500-$4,000 range - depending on the 'tuning' required / intercooling sytle.

How big is the intercooler so far quickLS do you have it in your hands yet ?

P.S.

Added some blury pics of my new ride :)

not yet - tonight I should finish with test fitting the chager and manifold.

got to see if my air tube will clear the charger pulley and see if it will all tuck under the hood.

if not we may have to reroute the air tube - which will change the intercooler design/placement.

BTW: car looks good and clean :Beer

Quik LS said:
not yet - tonight I should finish with test fitting the chager and manifold.

got to see if my air tube will clear the charger pulley and see if it will all tuck under the hood.

if not we may have to reroute the air tube - which will change the intercooler design/placement.
:GotPics:

Well - started....

Here's some pics.

1) Starting shot - all pretty.

2) Ending shot - stock intake manifold out.

3) mock up Eaton with the 'rough' intake manifold

Next steps are to trial fit, grind, cut, fit, grind, cut, ....etc

engine bay - start.JPG

engine bay - end.JPG

mock supercharger.JPG

can't wait too see it in the engine...:) any idea on how much it will increase the performance?

Right on QuickLS too bad I live way up North of you or I would be at your house helping. So how well did it fit, how much fab and mod do you think you'll have to do?

NICe! Get the price down to 2000 and I'll buy one today. :Beer

Styles said:
Right on QuickLS too bad I live way up North of you or I would be at your house helping. So how well did it fit, how much fab and mod do you think you'll have to do?

haven't tried to test fit yet - but eyeballing it - looks like quit a bit of fighting for space. The cooling tower, the rad hoses, hydralic fan hose, ....etc

not alot of room.

but it's fun looking at the 100 or so pieces of my car on the garage floor :wrench

Quik LS said:
haven't tried to test fit yet - but eyeballing it - looks like quit a bit of fighting for space. The cooling tower, the rad hoses, hydralic fan hose, ....etc

not alot of room.

but it's fun looking at the 100 or so pieces of my car on the garage floor :wrench

Do think if you swaped out heads lets say for a 202 race or Jag E-Type head, would screw with the supercharger even more?

Styles said:
Do think if you swaped out heads lets say for a 202 race or Jag E-Type head, would screw with the supercharger even more?

there would be alot of modding as none of those are direct bolt swaps - the jag started with the same block but that where is ended.

IMHO, the better approach would be to port the current heads and play with the cams

Hey good work quik, thanks for the pictures, man i hate to see it all prettied up then tore down like like.. lol.. You said that you are going to increase the size of the oil cooler as well, figure out if that is even gonna fit..Good luck looks like its coming along just fine. look like you may need to add a hole in the hood too.. lol

Members online

Back