Cooper Zeon rs3-a or Continental Extreme Contact DWS

gregdavid85

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at tires for my 06 LS V8. It's lowered with Eibach springs, and has new stock shock absorbers and stock 17" chrome wheels.

I'm wondering what the best tire would be for the car, considering it's lowered and has a slightly stiffer ride. The guys at the tire store said I should go with a touring tire, and recommended the Toyo Versados. They seem like an ok tire, but I'm not sure if I want to go with a touring tire. I really like the beefy look of the Zeons, they get really great reviews, and the price is right (about 130 a tire!) I asked my mechanic what he thought, and he said the new Contis are really nice, and recommended those. Kinda threw a curveball in.

What would you guys recommend? Should I listen to the guys at the tire shop? The versados are more expensive, and that's whats throwing me off.. are they trying to give me the best tire, or the more expensive one.

Thanks!!

LMAO.. These are the EXACT 2 tires I have been eyeing for my 20's.. I'm going to go with the Conti's, but unfortunately they are backordered in my size :( I don't think the coopers are a bad tire at all, but I the DWS are supposed to be better in rain and snow, which I have to be prepared to encounter any month of the year

Don't get the Toyo Versados.. not the best tire, especially at that price. Mine worn fairly quickly, and got loud towards the end. Zero grip in snow, and wet traction wasn't all that good either.

I've been really impressed with the my Nitto NT555. Fantastic ride and softness, with a ton of grip, but seem to have a ton of life in them... I've had them for 3 summers now and hardly any wear... I'll def buy them again

I'm running the Contis on my '06. They're not Bridgestone Potenzas or Michelin Pilot Sport Pluses (both of which I've run on the '06), but they also didn't carry the price tags those two do. The Contis are quiet enough, and the handling is fine; we're in the middle of a drought and haven't reached winter yet, so I can't really tell you much about their characteristics in the wet or snow. ;) I was debating going back to the Bridgestones when the Michelins wore out, but the price was so much better on the Contis, and their reviews on the Tire Rack were pretty good, so I decided to take a flier on them. I've not been disappointed thus far.

I'm running the Contis on my '06. They're not Bridgestone Potenzas or Michelin Pilot Sport Pluses (both of which I've run on the '06), but they also didn't carry the price tags those two do. The Contis are quiet enough, and the handling is fine; we're in the middle of a drought and haven't reached winter yet, so I can't really tell you much about their characteristics in the wet or snow. ;) I was debating going back to the Bridgestones when the Michelins wore out, but the price was so much better on the Contis, and their reviews on the Tire Rack were pretty good, so I decided to take a flier on them. I've not been disappointed thus far.

With this drought, I don't think our tires will ever see snow again.

If you can't get Michelin's, then I would go with the Continentals...

I've run the ExtremeContact DWS in a 245/45/17, and they were surprisingly good in the snow. unfortunately, I did get stuck once (in a situation where I would have needed 4WD and snow tires to get out of) and tried like hell to get out, ruining 2 of the tires, otherwise I would have had them quite a bit longer.

But for the money, I think the DWS is one of the best all season tires out there.

I now run Continental's Sport Contact M3, in a 255/40/18 during the summer, and a 92 BWM 318i w/ blizzaks in the winter.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have Michellin Pilot Sports A/S Plus tires on the car right now, and they are just awful. They're loud, ride like crap, and don't stick very well either. They were expensive too. Only had them for two years and they are already worn unevenly, causing an oscillation in the steering wheel. If you do research on those tires, they have tons of bad reviews and I highly DONT recommend them. People are saying they can pick the treads right off the tires!

I'll check prices on the contis and availability. Any of you guys have your LSs lowered? 2000sport: Did you have your eibachs on the car when you had the contis?

Thanks!

Im lowered with Eibach's and I have the Cooper Zeon's. While I am lucky enough to drive my F150 in winter I do LOVE the Coopers! I don't think they get the credit they deserve. They have a 540 tread rateing so they will last,(as long as you allign and rotate) They stick REALLY well on twisty roads which I drive harder than most people I hang with. Wet traction is very good, IMHO better than my Hankook that were on my car when I purchased it. I'd look hard at the Cooper!!

by the way, I run 245-45-18

Im lowered with Eibach's and I have the Cooper Zeon's. While I am lucky enough to drive my F150 in winter I do LOVE the Coopers! I don't think they get the credit they deserve. They have a 540 tread rateing so they will last,(as long as you allign and rotate) They stick REALLY well on twisty roads which I drive harder than most people I hang with. Wet traction is very good, IMHO better than my Hankook that were on my car when I purchased it. I'd look hard at the Cooper!!

by the way, I run 245-45-18

Have you ever driven them in snow? I will be running snow tires on my stockers, but would like a snow capable tire on my other wheels because I will be running them as long as possible

Have you ever driven them in snow? I will be running snow tires on my stockers, but would like a snow capable tire on my other wheels because I will be running them as long as possible

No, I park my LS all winter only to pull it out to be washed and an occasional drive across town. It's never been in snow since I've owned it.

My opinion, (only from reading here) is if you run a dedicated set for summer tires / winter tires, then you would be better suited with looking at the General Arctic or the Bizzacks.

I feel that the Zeon's are a great (I almost said all season) spring thru fall tire that have a great cost versus ride comfort and traction quality. I just can't answer to the winter portion of that. I guess it doesn't mean that they are bad,, I just cant speak to it.

I'm currently running the Contis. I haven't encountered snow yet... but I will soon. My only negative so far is they flat spot pretty easy. Other than that, they're a really comfortable tire.

Members online

No members online now.
Back