Coolant leak

cannons_custom

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the most common places coolant would leak out of on a gen 1? I've been delivering tonight and smelling burning coolant and seeing a little bit of smoke under the hood. The water temp gauge looks fine. I don't have time to look right now but I'm worried.

Driver's side, where the windshield wipers are. You know, where you look to check if the coolant level is okay.

I've always called it the puke tank. i did know its proper name though.

if the degas bottle is leaking - it's not likely to get on anything that will smoke it.

if you are getting smoke - it's 99.999999999% of the time oil from leaky valve cover gaskets. either leaking oil inot the spark plug wells or leaking out the back bottom corners of the valve covers and dripping onto the exhaust manifolds. it just takes a small drop of oil to cause a big cloud of smoke.

if the degas bottle is leaking - it's not likely to get on anything that will smoke it.

if you are getting smoke - it's 99.999999999% of the time oil from leaky valve cover gaskets. either leaking oil inot the spark plug wells or leaking out the back bottom corners of the valve covers and dripping onto the exhaust manifolds. it just takes a small drop of oil to cause a big cloud of smoke.

Quik,
I know it's not the valve cover gaskets. It smells like burning coolant.

Well I found my leak. It was impossible to see at night but in the day it was clear as day. The hose going to the thermostat housing slipped off almost completely.
4195704581_d59aa18909_m.jpg

4195692499_fcc231909a_m.jpg

cool!

Check your belt - if enough coolant got on it - it will create a buildup on the backside and on the pulley - making a mess - especially once it get hot.

when mine cracked my car smoked on start up and coolant would come out of my exhaust when i let it idle. i thought it was weird but my mechanic confirmed that it was my coolant, after i got it replaced it has never happened since.i thought it was very odd

Ok now that I've got the leak fixed I'd like to replace the engine top cover I broke in the process. Anyone know of any junk yards that have the one for the v8 in stock? Otherwise does anyone have one laying around in their garage?

So this may be a dumb question and i'm sure i'll get poked at for it but what is the best way to clean my engine bay now that there is coolant all over it? I'm sick of the sweet smell from the coolant burning off my exhaust.

So this may be a dumb question and i'm sure i'll get poked at for it but what is the best way to clean my engine bay now that there is coolant all over it? I'm sick of the sweet smell from the coolant burning off my exhaust.

Water hose and spray nozzle (normal pressure, not high pressure washer). The electrical connections are well sealed, just don't fill the coil wells with water.

Members online

Back