Cool headlight mod (at least I think so)

starfox86

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So after buying an is300 for another daily driver, I noticed that at night, the is300 has no amber corner parking lights, only when I use the turn signal do they come on. I like how it looks at night compared to my LS. So after some research, I found out how to make ours headlights do the same. There are three wires going to the turn signal. Just cut the middle, minor wire and walla, you have no more amber corner lights at night. It makes a bigger difference for me since I have projectors installed. I wasn't happy with the gap between my corner lamp and my projector. My 2 orange LEDs are still always on so cars from the side can see me. I will have to post pics later tonight. Of b4 and afters

Pics, so basically the orange bulb only lights when signaling?

Does your IS have other running lights?

Im thinking this is illegal.

it wouldnt seem like it would be illegal, especially if you have another running light like the LS. lets see some pics, i might like to do this.

it wouldnt seem like it would be illegal, especially if you have another running light like the LS. lets see some pics, i might like to do this.

Not illegal...There is alot of glare from the camera so the ambers are a little bit darker in person.
mc91ue.jpg

29bysr5.jpg

2u45y4x.jpg

21jc9ro.jpg

33mlt1d.jpg

Here are my tail lights. They are 02 tails but I took the middle bulbs out. It almost looks like an 03 at night. The four tail lights just reminds me of an older honda accord: only when they are on at night.
2mrxkat.jpg

Interesting!! If u can post a pic of the wire It would be great!!

I think im doing this tommorrow!!

Interesting!! If u can post a pic of the wire It would be great!!

I think im doing this tommorrow!!

lol. Its SUPER easy.

Take the headlight off to get to the turn signal light

Unplug the turn signal light from the headlight

You will have three wires going into the signal light.

They are labled GRD, Minor, Major.

Cut the Minor wire.

Cover up each end with some electrical tape or those wire connectors that you can crimp.

Then reassemble and check.

The only feature you wont have is your corner parking lamps. (a quarter turn of the headlight switch)

NOTE: On my car I have blacked out the parking lamps on my bumper. So you will still have those!

+2 on illegal that would be a "parking lamp" and the reason its ok on the lexuis is it still has a amber lamp, look on the bumper

+2 on illegal that would be a "parking lamp" and the reason its ok on the lexuis is it still has a amber lamp, look on the bumper

I still have amber LEDs on the sides and they are bright if your standing on the side of the car.

2ptckrn.jpg

oic, thought that was a reflection, i dunno, a cop could pull you over and point out to you the bulb isnt lit

oic, thought that was a reflection, i dunno, a cop could pull you over and point out to you the bulb isnt lit

I really doubt it. They are more worried about TINT around here. I got a ticket today for illegal tint. It would be one thing if it was like 75 or even 80 here on a daily basis, but its like 110 everytime I get in my car. Even with legal tint, I used to have to wait to get in my car because the steering wheel would be too hot.

im not saying they will, but they could, if he was a prick, out here they like to stack the tickets up

lol. Its SUPER easy.

Take the headlight off to get to the turn signal light

Unplug the turn signal light from the headlight

You will have three wires going into the signal light.

They are labled GRD, Minor, Major.

Cut the Minor wire.

Cover up each end with some electrical tape or those wire connectors that you can crimp.

Then reassemble and check.

The only feature you wont have is your corner parking lamps. (a quarter turn of the headlight switch)

NOTE: On my car I have blacked out the parking lamps on my bumper. So you will still have those!

On the contrary my friend! That is one of the reasons why I installed the 2005 LSE Front Fascia

I still have amber LEDs on the sides and they are bright if your standing on the side of the car.

2ptckrn.jpg

Parking lamps and side markers are totally different things.

And regardless of having one in the rear you still need one fr oncoming traffic!

Installing the newer model front fascia is also a illegal mod but a cool one. The dot needs to to have amber side markers no matter what of some kind and they need to be reflective ( as I just learned ) so if you are disabled at night and have o battery power you can be noticed.

Now the newer model ( 2nd Gen Lses ) have those integrated into the headlights.

what about just putting a 3156 bulb (single filament same as used in the taillamp signal) in replacement of the 3157?

i think i might tinker with this after work

Parking lamps and side markers are totally different things.

And regardless of having one in the rear you still need one fr oncoming traffic!

Installing the newer model front fascia is also a illegal mod but a cool one. The dot needs to to have amber side markers no matter what of some kind and they need to be reflective ( as I just learned ) so if you are disabled at night and have o battery power you can be noticed.

Now the newer model ( 2nd Gen Lses ) have those integrated into the headlights.

I see what your saying. Well, since Florida does not have yearly dot checks, I am not too worried. When I get a ticket, I'll let everyone know.

Members online

No members online now.
Back