compass only points south

I've had to do this once. Quick question though, for some reason it won't let me change the compass zone. When I try, it says compass error. No big deal, it just isn't always correct, and I'm sure someone must have experienced this before.

compass

So the compass on my 98 tells me that i'm going south( south east, sometimes east) and only that never north or west. Is this a calibration issue or is something toast in the computer.

I think your mark is telling you something.MOVE SOUTH! It cant be any plainer than that.

ok now it says check compass system and it wont let me reset it or nothing...its :q:q:q:qed up....what do i do in this case? should i just say screw the compass or what?

ok now it says check compass system and it wont let me reset it or nothing...its :q:q:q:qed up....what do i do in this case? should i just say screw the compass or what?

I would. Seriously, why do you need it? Unless you travel frequently and just don't know where you are in your town. If I ever get in an area that I don't know well, I put my Samsung Infuse up on the message buttons, in front of the lights (it's in a front folding case) and I turn it sideways and press on maps. It shows me exactly where I am with a blue arrow and the direction I am traveling and street names. I never press my compass button to see North, South, East or West. That's just me though and many others.

Some people have nav units stuck to the windshield. I ain't doing that and then some have navigation built into their head units and I'm not paying the price for one to have it in there. Common sense and reading signs and most phones will help you if you end up lost. So yeah, my opinion, screw the compass.

Do you have a Sub woofer?

Rich, it's a Gen 2. The compass is not anywhere near a sub woofer, unless he has it setting up on the dash. I don't even know if he has a sub woofer. I have three sub woofers in the trunk and my compass isn't being bothered by any of them. Mine is also on the mirror, not in the trunk.

it all happened after i installed my 5% tints...i think they screwed something up.

What brand tint was used? Some contain metalized materials in the tint but if that's the culprit, your cell phone reception would also be affected in some way, if it's enough to be messing with the compass. Just taking a shot in the dark guess here.

solar tints i guess i dont know i have to check and see.

Might want to try a calibration test with the windows rolled down just to see if it makes any difference. If you're not seeing any difference with your cell phone coverage, then maybe you either have very close towers and the metalized film isn't having any effect that you can see but may be causing problems with the old school compass. That's the only thing I can think of since this all happened since the tint install and especially 5% tint. The film is going to be even thicker. I would just find out what brand they're using and then Google that brand to see what you can find out about it. I use Llumar tint and haven't had any problems but I'm also using 35% and would love to have 5% but the state troopers, especially one that I know of would go crazy on me if he ever caught me out. Tint laws here really make no sense to me.

A Yukon, Suburban or the like can have as low as 2% behind the driver on all windows and buddy, I have stood next to the shop owners little SUV he drives and he has 2% on all windows behind him and you can not see inside that thing, even if you put hands on each side of your eyes and try to look in. Now this law is what makes no sense to me. There could be a truck load of people in the back of one of them rolling houses with guns in hand but anything behind the driver on a 2 door - 4 door "car" has to have 35% on all windows and nothing on the windshield. 6" strip can be put up there but I'm not doing that.

My ideal tint job for me would be 5% on all windows, maybe even 2% on the very back windows, 5% on door windows and 35% on the windshield. If I could have it, I would be there Monday morning paying the price to get it done.

well i have 5% all around and the front strip is lower than normal. I havent had any problems with cops yet, so what I do when I see a cop is roll my windows down so they see whos driving.

well i have 5% all around and the front strip is lower than normal. I havent had any problems with cops yet, so what I do when I see a cop is roll my windows down so they see whos driving.

I tried the window down thing too at 75 mph and the only thing I got out of that was a 4 min windstorm and a ticket.

Rich, it's a Gen 2. The compass is not anywhere near a sub woofer, unless he has it setting up on the dash. I don't even know if he has a sub woofer. I have three sub woofers in the trunk and my compass isn't being bothered by any of them. Mine is also on the mirror, not in the trunk.

Wasn't sure where the Gen II compass unit was ... Gen I is in the trunk ... subs effect it ... so Just looking at the possible overlooked simple solution.

I think 93-94 were the only ones with the compass module in the trunk. Not sure if all 95's are on the mirror but mine is. Maybe earlier built 95's could have had it in the trunk. Not really sure on that one.

So it's the little black box mounted to the rear view mirror?
It detatches , change it out, and see if that makes the compass work.
Gotta recalibrate anyway .
Here's a good one , when you drivin in circles to calibrate , hit the horn in series of beeps to emulate pop goes the weasel that way the red necks at wallmart know your nuts
Hahaha.
Sorry couldn't hep my self.

ok i tried programming it, i drove to the right 5 times in circle and nothing happened how slow do i have to do it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back