Common 90s Towncar Problems?

Lincoln Pimpin'

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I just joined these forums.

I have a 1979 Lincoln Continental and it only gets like 8 mpg city and I just can't afford it. So I am selling it and I am planning on buying a 90-97 (preferably not 90-92 because of the larger headlight design) TC.

I know they generally get about 18 city mpg. Perhaps one of those economy performance chips would help?

I will run it on Mobil Synthetic, either 5W30 or 10W30? I live in Colorado.

I also plan on putting a K&N filter in, expensive but they seem well worth it, I have one in my '79.

I am going to put 20" chrome rims on.

I was originally considering a 90s Cadillac with the Northstar but decided against it due to the higher maintenance costs.

I prefer the 90-97 TC models over the newer ones because of the squarer style.

I am just interested in some rather common problems and how much they are normally to repair. Or any other info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and thank you for any info you may have.

Lincolns came in 2 types during the 90's

90-95 5.0L
96-99 4.6L

The 4.6 is a lot reliable generally, it does have electrical problems and now n days (being older) they have problems with the air ride.

I like 98's-99's myself but i'm wanting to get a 96.

Lincolns came in 2 types during the 90's

90-95 5.0L
96-99 4.6L

The 4.6 is a lot reliable generally, it does have electrical problems and now n days (being older) they have problems with the air ride.

I like 98's-99's myself but i'm wanting to get a 96.

Wiggl3s you are wrong about the engine size 91 to 99 was the 4.6. :D

just so you know the body upgrade was in 95 not 93
IMO 20s are ugly
common problems are the rear air bags going out you can get springs from a vic for $25-30 used
valve stem seals go bad not sure how much $ to replace
trannys go bad if not taken care of

my last 93 I sold a 285,000 miles
and my current 95 is at 195,000 miles over all they are great cars very very dependable

just so you know the body upgrade was in 95 not 93
IMO 20s are ugly
common problems are the rear air bags going out you can get springs from a vic for $25-30 used
valve stem seals go bad not sure how much $ to replace
trannys go bad if not taken care of

my last 93 I sold a 285,000 miles
and my current 95 is at 195,000 miles over all they are great cars very very dependable

Only way to take care of a tranny is fluid pretty much eh?

"Really its not a question of if your torque converter is going to break, but a question of when." Straight out the mouth of the transmission tech I took my car to before buying it. So far. . . . crosses fingers. . . . when hasn't happened yet.
135k and still rockin' the socks off Hondas.

oh, its "slow." I've never measured 0-60, but I can tell you that it will get up and go whenever you want. Mine is 100% stock with single exhaust, which puts power at 190hp, 285ish in-lb.

antifreeze leaks at the intake crossover and nipple in back on r/side.

correction. . . ft-lb. . . . my head was a little stuck in work there. . . . . . .

'91 and early '92 models have the 'bastard block' 4.6 w/ AOD transmission bellhousing and 2 bolt starter. Nothing particularly wrong with this if you are just using the car stock but if you plan on ANY performance modifications you're better off starting with at least a '92.5- (and much preferably a '96-)

1995 and older 4.6l 2vs are prone to valve stem seal seepage which causes excessive oil consumption and the infamous blue smoke puff from the exhaust at stoplights. -'95s are also prone to clogging EGR channels which will throw a CEL for insufficient EGR flow.

'96- models don't have the valve stem or EGR issues of the -'95s, however if they still have their original composite front coolant crossover it is prone to bursting. There was a recall on this however any of the vehicles effected are now out of the extended warranty of the part. It's not a difficult repair, though. The new manifold kit will run you ~$200 aftermarket.

'95- (-'02) have an improved front suspension and steering linkage for better on center feel and handling. '97- even better steering response thanks to revisions to the steering gear and '98- have the watts linkage rear suspension.

If you experience torque converter shudder with any '92.5+ Town Car (AODE and successors) drain and flush the ATF with fresh Mercon V fluid.
Also, the o-ring seal on the 1-2 accumulator piston on -'96s wears out (often causing delayed and/or harsh 1-2 engagement) and the aluminum accumulator can scratch the bore. Common issue, easy fix.
Info: http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/accumulators/partnumbers.html

Members online

Back