Common 90s Towncar Problems?

'91 and early '92 models have the 'bastard block' 4.6 w/ AOD transmission bellhousing and 2 bolt starter. Nothing particularly wrong with this if you are just using the car stock but if you plan on ANY performance modifications you're better off starting with at least a '92.5- (and much preferably a '96-)

1995 and older 4.6l 2vs are prone to valve stem seal seepage which causes excessive oil consumption and the infamous blue smoke puff from the exhaust at stoplights. -'95s are also prone to clogging EGR channels which will throw a CEL for insufficient EGR flow.

'96- models don't have the valve stem or EGR issues of the -'95s, however if they still have their original composite front coolant crossover it is prone to bursting. There was a recall on this however any of the vehicles effected are now out of the extended warranty of the part. It's not a difficult repair, though. The new manifold kit will run you ~$200 aftermarket.

'95- (-'02) have an improved front suspension and steering linkage for better on center feel and handling. '97- even better steering response thanks to revisions to the steering gear and '98- have the watts linkage rear suspension.

If you experience torque converter shudder with any '92.5+ Town Car (AODE and successors) drain and flush the ATF with fresh Mercon V fluid.
Also, the o-ring seal on the 1-2 accumulator piston on -'96s wears out (often causing delayed and/or harsh 1-2 engagement) and the aluminum accumulator can scratch the bore. Common issue, easy fix.
Info: http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/accumulators/partnumbers.html

Didn't the 91 and before have the 5.0?

:W to :V i have seen you post on LOL.

SHHHH please dont say LoL in my presence. heheh Im despising that site at this moment. but thats another story... Im hopign this site is better. Im trying to figure out when it bacame so important to me to be part of a forum at all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back