Cobra intake manafold swap

OxmanWI

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Yes I did a search and couldn't find anything. Please post up threads if you have any.

With the Gen2, what kind of number increase would you see with a basic Cobra manafold swap over the Mark unit? Not only would it look cool under the hood, I was wondering what the benefit is. Is this also a better choice to go with a vortech SC later on?

Thank you,

Josh

just getting into these cars (so my advise wont be much) but i would assume you'd see in the area of ten horsepower, since the cobra's were only rated at 305. I imagine a bigger increase would be seen when you add the blower.

Actually, if you plan on a blower, it's not worth changing the intake to a Cobra intake unless you're going forged internals with a short runner intake and mega-rpms.

It would be a better N/A setup over the Gen2 intake for sure.

If you want the truth with a stock GenII you wont see any increase, as a matter of fact you will lose a little. Don't get me wrong the GenII intake is a POS the Cobra is a much better design, but the design is intended for an 800LBS lighter car with a standard trans and 3:53 gears it will raise you power band and you will lose bottom end you will gain some top but it will be a marginal increase.
Put in a 3Grand stall converter and 4:10's and it will be worth something.

FWIW, 96-98 Cobra's came with 3.27's, and are only about 300-400 lbs. lighter. Race weight on my '98 Cobra is 3,650 lbs. and my '98 LSC is 3,980 lbs., both with me in the car.

I put a cobra intake on my 97. I also have 2.5 true dual exhaust (mandrel bent), conical air filter, and had the setup tuned at alternative auto. I made 249 hp and 248 tq at the wheels. From what I've read, genII's usually do anywhere from 210-225 stock.

I did some gasket matching of the intake and also blended the area where the air is split into the valves. I also deleted EGR, but I don't think it made much difference on the dyno.

I never dynoed the car before the intake swap. I also have 4:10 gears which make up for any lost low end torque. I think the swap is worth doing for sure. I felt a big difference above 4000rpm especially.

If you want the truth with a stock GenII you wont see any increase, as a matter of fact you will lose a little. Don't get me wrong the GenII intake is a POS the Cobra is a much better design, but the design is intended for an 800LBS lighter car with a standard trans and 3:53 gears it will raise you power band and you will lose bottom end you will gain some top but it will be a marginal increase.
Put in a 3Grand stall converter and 4:10's and it will be worth something.

How can you say this is "the truth"??? I've never seen a dyno sheet from anyone who swapped to a cobra intake showing they lost power. Maybe you should start out saying "If you want my opinion". Not cool to misguide people based on your hunches.

I felt a big difference above 4000rpm especially.

As did I with the worked over Gen1 intake. ;)

op4.jpg

driller.. damn that is a nice looking gen 1 intake,
aj, do you just have the conical filter out there in the open, or an ice box?

It would fit fine... but the EGR tube would need to be switched... and you would need gen 1 fuel lines, and throttle cable... and cruise cable... and probably lengthen a few wires...

It would fit fine... but the EGR tube would need to be switched... and you would need gen 1 fuel lines, and throttle cable... and cruise cable... and probably lengthen a few wires...

I've got all these parts still on my Gen 1 parts mark, if anyone wants to try it out, toss me an offer.
I need to save up for my Cobra intake...and my endless list of other upgrades and mods that ill never be able to afford to do:)

Searching for close to an hour now and this is the only thread that directly discussed Changing to Cobra intake on a 2nd gen. I found another from 2011 that briefly discussed adding it, but didn't discuss the gains - that thread was: "Got these in the mail today"

Was it ever dyno proven if it actually hurts or improves the performance of a stock 2nd motor?

And with changing gears to 4:10 what does is the M8's rpm at 70mph?

Members online

No members online now.
Back