cleaning caked on dirt / brake dust off wheels??

01LSv6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Chrome wheels, they have some dirt and brake dust I'd like to remove before it does damage. I sprayed some Eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner on and theres some dirt stains that wont spray/rub off. Should I use some 0000 steel wool and chrome polish? clay bar? what would you suggest to get the stains off without doing damage to the chrome obviously? Thanks

Mothers chrome cleaner and a soft towel and a lot of elbow grease. dont use the steel wool, just find a soft cloth. once you get them clean use some wheel wax, that way next time the brake dust comes off easier.

Has anyone ever tried one of the Mother's power ball polishers? Thanks guys

You know what works well, that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...

Well if you want to really get them looking like brand new again go and buy Eagle Never Dull. I have been using this on my chrome wheels for some time now. The stuff comes in a tin and it isa wading material. It works like magic on my chrome wheels with a little elbow grease and I mean a Little. Just wipe it on and let the chemicals do the work, go back over it to remove the embedded stuff then polish it off with a towel. My rims always look factory new.

IMG_0487.jpg

I agree, I have been using never dull on my aluminum polished wheels for year now. They get really bad in the winter and this stuff has them looking back to brand new.

Good move trying to clean your chrome rims. If you leave the brake dust on too long, the accumulated brake dust particles melt from the heat on the wheel, and basically weld themselves onto the rim. It's nearly impossible to remove that stuff once its welded on, so regular cleaning is essential.

You'll need a product that is more aggressive than the spray-on chrome wheel cleaner you've been using. Generally, you want to use the mildest stuff first, and progress from there until you get the results you want. I'd start with the Never-Dull wadding (great stuff, I use it myself), or another good chrome polish. The powerball option or a claybar would be your next step if the chemicals alone don't do the job, and as a last resort you could use the 0000 steel wool.

Good luck.

Thank you guys very much. I've never heard of never dull. Where could I get it? Autozone or an equivalent store?
Oh, and the whole steel wool on chrome sounded crazy to me, but a few people suggested it to me so I figured I'd ask on here lol. I've never used 0000 fine stee wool before, but it just sounds harmful to me.

Chrome wheels, they have some dirt and brake dust I'd like to remove before it does damage. I sprayed some Eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner on and theres some dirt stains that wont spray/rub off. Should I use some 0000 steel wool and chrome polish? clay bar? what would you suggest to get the stains off without doing damage to the chrome obviously? Thanks

I use AlumaBrite acid. My calipers and dust shields still look like they did from the factory. It's very strong and you can't use it on hot wheels.

Thank you guys very much. I've never heard of never dull. Where could I get it? Autozone or an equivalent store?
Oh, and the whole steel wool on chrome sounded crazy to me, but a few people suggested it to me so I figured I'd ask on here lol. I've never used 0000 fine stee wool before, but it just sounds harmful to me.

You can probably get both Never-Dull and the 0000 steel wool at any good hardware store.

Armor-All Orange Wipes

I have the silver factory LSV8 rim, not chrome. On any of my previous cars, I was always able to wipe the rim with a paper towel to clean the brake dust off. I tried this with the LS and found the same as you, the dust seemed to have mated with the surface of the wheel. I tried wheel/rim cleaner (the type you supposedly spray on and spray off with a hose. Didn't work. In the end, Armor-All Orange Wipes did the trick. You'll be amazed. I wiped my whole interior down with these while I was doing my sound system install. It literally takes years of dirt off of the surfaces that you are wiping to make them look as if brand new. The trick is to scrub with orange wipe, then make a pass with a clean cloth. That way you are not just continually rubbing dirt around. Make another pass with the orange wipe, and then clean cloth. Spend a minute on a small section of your leather seat and you'll know what I'm talking about. Concentrate on the wrinkles and creases. Instant "face Lift". http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=7&main_group=1&category_index=wipes

I wouldn't use the steel wool. Even though you can't visually see the scratches, you are putting tens of thousands of scratches on the surface.

Use some Simple Green. Spray it on. Hose it off and then use whatever chrome polish you want.

Btw, I have cases and cases of #0000 steel wool. I used alot of it. That is why I know. Heck, part your car under a light at night and you won't believe what you can see.

Members online

Back