charging system

No, both are 120 amp alternators and a lot of them are Mitsubishi also. Making sure you have an original Motorcraft would be considered an upgrade. I know O'Reilly's used to sell a rebuilt Motorcraft but it only had a one year warranty whereas their cheaper one that they have in stock by Ultima has a lifetime warranty. I went through about 3 of those before buying the Motorcraft from them and it worked fine until the car burned up. They had to order that one for me and it took a day or two for it to come in. It did come from Ford, rebuilt by Ford, not in China.

I believe g1 and g2 may be interchangeable. Charging post may be clocked differently. I don't think it's much of an upgrade. If you go with a higher amp alt you may run into charging issues at idle and or melted wires.

No, both are 120 amp alternators and a lot of them are Mitsubishi also. Making sure you have an original Motorcraft would be considered an upgrade. I know O'Reilly's used to sell a rebuilt Motorcraft but it only had a one year warranty whereas their cheaper one that they have in stock by Ultima has a lifetime warranty. I went through about 3 of those before buying the Motorcraft from them and it worked fine until the car burned up. They had to order that one for me and it took a day or two for it to come in. It did come from Ford, rebuilt by Ford, not in China.

Gen2's are 130a and not a Mitsu unit.

Gen2's will work on a gen1, the only minor issue I believe is the connector. In some cases you might have to clip a tie on the loom to beable to reach the gen2 alt.

Gen2's are 130a and not a Mitsu unit.

Gen2's will work on a gen1, the only minor issue I believe is the connector. In some cases you might have to clip a tie on the loom to beable to reach the gen2 alt.

I forgot all about the extra 10 amps they had. Just assumed since most Gen 1's I have been around and had, all had Mitsubishi that the Gen 2 probably had the same. Now that you mentioned the 130 amp, I do remember getting one that was cross referenced with I think a 96 Crown Vic was a 130 amp Gen 4.... Seems like that's what he said it was. Either way, it didn't last me but a couple of months.

Every parts place lists them as not being interchangeable, but they are. Only difference you need to be concerned about for installing is the harness port is in a slightly different place. You'll likely have to cut one of the charging harness's zip tie holding it to the engine in order to make it reach, but it works fine. I have a Gen 2 alternator in my '94, works fine.

You can't run a 93 94 or 95 alternator on a gen 2 because charging post sticks out the back and hits the intake manifold on a 2nd gen.

Members online

Back