"Charging System" Help and New Pics

ok so i got the opportunity to run to autozone today (using my friend's car) and bought a booster pack. Haven't a chance to take the car anywhere as its not driveable, very far at least.

Jumped the car, left the thing plugged in, went inside the car, and everything was working perfectly. All the electronics, locks, windows. the "check charging system" still come on, but everything worked. Until a few minutes later, i guess the booster pack ran out of juice. Everything got dim, dummy lights, screwy nav.

This points to the battery right? Sorry i keep bugging you guys about this problem im having, but i'm just trying to see if i can resolve this without having to get my car towed to the nearest shop.

This points to the battery right? Sorry i keep bugging you guys about this problem im having, but i'm just trying to see if i can resolve this without having to get my car towed to the nearest shop.

Nope, it points to the alternator.

great! :mad:

Joe since i have your attention, how would i go about replacing the alternator? could i do this myself or is a shop absolutely necessary(keeping in mind i only have basic tools)? I don't want to have to pay for the job again!

i tried following the instructions from Deneau, but it doesnt seem that simple now that i look at the engine bay.

great! :mad:

Joe since i have your attention, how would i go about replacing the alternator? could i do this myself or is a shop absolutely necessary(keeping in mind i only have basic tools)? I don't want to have to pay for the job again!

i tried following the instructions from Deneau, but it doesnt seem that simple now that i look at the engine bay.

You should be able to do it yourself sent it was recently changed and shouldn't be stuck in there. Be warned, it does take some time and effort.

Finally have her back! Mad Happy

Got the issue resolved.

It was the alternator. Bought a new one from the stealership and everything is working fine. Getting some $$$ back for the old alt. and I'm getting a full refund for the ebay one, so everything worked out relatively OK.

thanks for all the help guys.

Makes sense.

The ALT is basically the heart of the charging system. Good to hear everything is ok with the ride. Leaves more cash open for mods.

I have seen a few cars that dont like the ho alternators and if it wasnt rebuilt right or if the regulator inside the alt is not producing the right voltage or amps at low rpms that can cause the issues as well. my suggestion would be to replace the alt with a new one. not remanufactured. being a tech at a professional garage i have seen way too many "reman" alts bad right out of the box. if you want to check it before you take it off and send it back our need to have it checked both with voltage and amperage at the alt and at the battery. you will be looking for 14.5 volts at idle with no accessories on (radio, a/c, etc) and around 15-25 amps. then turn on all the loads (a/c, radio, and high beams). if you drop below 12.5 volts its bad. amps should go no high than about 60 fully loaded at idle. hope this helps. oh also the tester needs to be able to tell you if the diodes are good

Members online

No members online now.
Back