"Charging System" Help and New Pics

mlara1129

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
*EDIT: Just realized how effin long this thing is. Here's an abstract lol if you think you can help please read the book i wrote below for detailed info:

Been having problems with my "charging system." Alternator was working fine (14.5volts) Checked connections, light still on. Changed alternator, Light still coming on. No noticeable affect on drive-ability. Battery seems to be fine, doesn't loose charge. Car hasn't just died on me or anything like the other cases that were posted before

Hey guys,
Need some help.

I've been battling the "check charging system" message for a few weeks now and I can't get the issue resolved. Read a few threads, but haven't found a solution to my specific problem.

It all started, when I got my motor mounts replaced. No issues whatsoever before this.

(Im not very knowledgeable on electrical systems so forgive me if i mess up the language) So the Mechanic checked the alternator output, it was 14 point something with the engine running, I read that should be fine. I THINK he checked the battery and everything was fine. The battery was replaced in 2009 with a new Motorcraft unit.

(On a side note, we found some "unexplained" liquid in the engine bay, next to the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, and it had dripped along the underside of the car, probably from driving. Light brownish in color. Found a little bit of leaking from the upper radiator hose, but at the rate it was leaking, i dont think it could have been the same liquid we found next to the reservoir and underneath the car. Not sure if its related to the problem at hand, but i thought i should mention)

So he found nothing wrong. I told him i would drive it for another week and see if anything changes. No noticeable changes. All electronics worked fined. Everything was asusual, minus the damn error message of course.

Took it back the next week. He did a thorough check of all the connections, and checked the alt. again, and everything looked fine.

***Decided to change the alternator to see if that put the light out. Bought a higher amperage alternator. 150 amps supposedly. Remanufactured. Don't know the brand, got it from ebay. Got it put in, and the light was out. The only thing was there, was a message asking me to apply the parking brake. Applied it and all was fine.

Left the shop and a few minutes later the "check charging system" message came back on. Went out soon after. Then several messages began to flash. Check left tail lamp, then check right tail lamp, and something else(can't remember). Then they all went out, even the check charging system. Drove home, about another 8 miles with everything good. Later that night, turn the car on, and the f*cking message comes back on. I dont know if it was just me, but the lights on the dash seemed a bit dimmer. Checked the dimmer and it was all the way up.

Sunday morning, turn the car on, message is still on. Left home, and on my drive back to school (about 75 miles), about half way, the message went out. As i got off the highway and back into the city, the light came back on.

Went out for a drive just now, and the light was still on, but as i picked up some speed around 50mph, the light went out. Few minutes later came back on. Tried different speeds and nothing, still on.

The alternator came from a "top rated seller," with a year warranty, so i don't think i got ripped off. But Prob not a smart buy anyway.

On a brighter note...

Look what i did this weekend:

Color-matched rear surround and stock grille.
fba91c8d.jpg

6433f435.jpg

Not a perfect match, but not bad for being my first time. Came out a bit darker than it should. I followed the directions from LSK. 2 wet coats.

The match surrounds look great! Sorry I can't help you with the charging problem.

Color matched is so sexy! Blacked out lower grille and you're set.

Yay, nay?

6433f435.jpg

Wow that looks much better. How about one with the whole thing in black? Lol if its not too much to ask.

Lol my bad poor wording on my part. No, the bottom grille, blacked out all the way to the fogs. I dont know how to explain it lol

thanks Joe, ill look into that, hopefully i can find a solution without spending too much more.

how difficult is replacing an alternator? 2003 V8

Here's a real picture of mine:

IMG_7770.jpg

I know, I know, old photo. New ones soon, with maybe a new surprise mod. One I'm not too happy about, but it may have to be done.

You're welcomed Mlara.

I actually did my lower grille like pektel did his. I like it better than way than painting the edge where it meet the fog. Someone else had theirs painted all the way and I looked at pektel's and liked his better, seemed to be cleaner.

I like it because it looks like it could've come from the factory that way.

Lookin' good mlara ;) Can't wait to color-match my lips and grille!

Message went away for a couple days, came back last night. Drove around a bit today, and began getting all these weird messages, nav system began acting up(on, off), began losing power, luckily i remembered the stories i read here and immediately turned back and parked it. Battery is dead now havent had a chance to try to jump to see what happens.

Should i replace the battery? Or Wtf?

Also can Anyone give instructions for replacing an alternator on a gen II v8?

Message went away for a couple days, came back last night. Drove around a bit today, and began getting all these weird messages, nav system began acting up(on, off), began losing power, luckily i remembered the stories i read here and immediately turned back and parked it. Battery is dead now havent had a chance to try to jump to see what happens.

Should i replace the battery? Or Wtf?

Also can Anyone give instructions for replacing an alternator on a gen II v8?

You may or may not need a new battery now that it has been deeply discharged, but it would be unwise to replace it before correcting whatever issue you have with the charging system.

You may or may not need a new battery now that it has been deeply discharged, but it would be unwise to replace it before correcting whatever issue you have with the charging system.

Unless it was the battery's time and it died a "natural" death. If it's the factory battery it is almost 8 years old.

ok, jumped it. Took a few minutes before it even began to turn.

When it was on, a lot of dummy lights were on. Mileage didn't appear. Message center was off. Nav didnt come on. Lights on the dash were very dim. Locks didnt work. Tried to lock the car from the outside, using the keypad, to let it charge a bit but didn't work.

does this narrow it down a bit?

ok, jumped it. Took a few minutes before it even began to turn.

When it was on, a lot of dummy lights were on. Mileage didn't appear. Message center was off. Nav didnt come on. Lights on the dash were very dim. Locks didnt work. Tried to lock the car from the outside, using the keypad, to let it charge a bit but didn't work.

does this narrow it down a bit?

If it's the original battery I still suspect the battery. A dying/dead battery manifests itself in all kinds of electrical gremlins.

i believe it was replaced within the past 3 years. Its a motorcraft unit. Could it still be the battery?

i want to and i will, haven't had a chance. i'm in school, and i usually get all my work done in NJ, i have exams until next, AND at this rate i don't think the LS would make it home anyway :(

i guess ill be LS-less until next week!

I had a similar problem with mine. Lucky for me my lightning cap has a voltage readout on it and with the back seat folded down I could see..... Sometimes the check charging would appear while it was charging, and sometimes when it was not. I replaced the alternator and check charging appeared all the time even though it was always charging. Many hours later in my buddies shop it was (change alternator again, or replace PCM). No reason could be found for the check charging system message. I replaced the alternator again, and problem solved. Hope this helps...

Members online

No members online now.
Back