Changing gears? (first time)

+1 i highly recommend replacing anything you can get to ehen you can and not to do this yourself. pay someone to do it right if its off even the smallest bit you can shred the rear in a day.

TIGHT tolerances within thousandths of an inch. I too agree. If you are an amateur, don't try to tackle it yourself or you could wreck the whole works. Pay the money now and save yourself a lot of money down the road.

Housing.jpg

Housing.jpg

i would advise getting your parts and rebuilding what you have but get someone professional to set it all up. a very small mistake in clearance or not replacing something needed ruins everything. changing the unit is no small job if u happen to get a bad one all your time and money is wasted. i,ve got a 3;73 ring and pinion ford racing with 4000 mi. i will sell u. $100 del. if your interested email me. i just switched to 4;10s,the guy i had set it up specialized in ford rear ends all of what i had was near new so we didnt need an install kit. good luck

Wether or not it is worth doing yourself depends on how bad you want to learn how to do it. You would also have to go into it accepting the risk that you may do it wrong, destroy everything, and have to pay someone to do it all over again. It is no different than building an engine for your first time. I did the gears and rebuilt a traction lock on my car without ever doing it before. Came out as good as I could expect and I learned allot about how a rearend goes together. I also got alott of good tips from Driller, DLF, and the guy from BAdshoe Productions. I also have allot of experience in industry working with thousandths of an inch tolerances which helped. DIYing gears is possible but risky.

old thread revive..
will any 28 spline, 8.8'' Trac-Loc work for my Mark without cutting a bevel in it?
I found a mechanic (the guy parting the 95) who worked at Ford many years; if I remove and bring him my diff assembly he'll install the T/L and gears (with rebuild kit) for $100...or he'll pull that one out of his parts 95 and rebuild it with my parts for an extra $100
---
he's out in the middle of nowhere- has a big shop and stays busy, former Ford tech...
I already have 3.73's (in a box on the floor)..this mech is saying I might want 3.55's...LVC-ers mostly say I want 4.10s...:shifty:

any 28 spline trac lock will work, but you will have to remove the circlips on the axles, or they wont come out of the differential.

any trac lock will work, but you will have to remove the circlips on the axles, or they wont come out of the differential.
ah,,, BEFORE jamming it back in the new (T/L) diff ...
diff assembly (pumpkin) removal=
a)press-pull half shafts,
b)remove diff bolts to frame,
c)remove abs sensors
d)detach from d/s?
...easy peasy?

right. pull the clips off, insert axles into diff. put everything else back together.

Yup, I have a stick axle trac lok in my SVO with IRS, just pulled the clips. they are only there for original assembly in the plant to keep the axles from falling out.

I just rebuilt a 04 Cobra pumpkin. All new bearings, seals, clutches and 4.10 gearset. I even made a jig to mount the pig in a vice and a spreader.

71707_452750798154791_1169063986_n.jpg

1069142_452750641488140_435481542_n.jpg

1003012_454670901296114_683450126_n.jpg

I want to steal his cover.....

988244_454677581295446_195149979_n.jpg

here's a simple and possibly stupid question, and I digress:
I'm not building a race car, I don't run 0.25 miles, I don' want to impress friends with two sided burn outs, and I don't drive in snow, ice or mud. I do however want to save money for other stuff and i want to be quicker. Why do I really need an LSD if I just swap gears to 3.55s? or, why wouldn't I want to go from 3.08s to 3.55s?

here's a simple and possibly stupid question, and I digress:
I'm not building a race car, I don't run 0.25 miles, I don' want to impress friends with two sided burn outs, and I don't drive in snow, ice or mud. I do however want to save money for other stuff and i want to be quicker. Why do I really need an LSD if I just swap gears to 3.55s? or, why wouldn't I want to go from 3.08s to 3.55s?
Because your there. You are going to have to pay to set up what ever gears you buy. It will not cost more to install posi.(labor wise) Why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

you don't need a posi with 3.55s. but you might as well since you are going through all the set up trouble already.

imo, everybody needs a trac lock! even with stock gearing. :D

No need to buy a IRs specific track-lock assembly, i just got my gear swap done with one out of a solid axle and paid about 80$ for it vs. the 300$ PLUS for an IRS specific track-lock assembly, as far as the isntall id definitley let a driveline shop do it, wrong clearances on your crush sleeve or anything and your gonna have some noisy gears or worse, irregular wear patterns. just my 2 cents.

Is there a write up on how to remove the pumkin on a Mark Viii? this is my first time pulling it out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back