Changing gears? (first time)

SleeperMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am changing my gears to a set of new ford racing 3.73 that I got from someone else on the forum. I want to do them myself but have never done it before. My friend has done it but I would like some tips and background info also. Mainly what all do I need? Shims, grease, etc. How much and recommendations on type? I looked and looked for a write up or something but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I am changing my gears to a set of new ford racing 3.73 that I got from someone else on the forum. I want to do them myself but have never done it before. My friend has done it but I would like some tips and background info also. Mainly what all do I need? Shims, grease, etc. How much and recommendations on type? I looked and looked for a write up or something but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

You need a kit with axle bearings, axle seal, carrier bearing/race, pinion bearing/race, pinion seal, all gaskets, pinion nut, crush sleeve, shim set, new ring gear bolts, and set up compound. And of course, don't forget the trac-loc. The rebuild kit should be universable for a Ford 8.8" but the posi is IRS specific.

a bevel cut into the side gears to help let the snap ring on the half shafts release.

the 8.8 rebuild kit is almost universal. a solid axle rebuild kit will not have half shaft seals or bearings that go in the side of the case. as a solid axle just has a tube there.

You will need dial indicator and mag base,Ft lbs and inch pounds torque wrenches,press with bearing plates ,bearing pullers,mics or verniers. I also have a set up pinion nut with crimp threads machined off. Also I made up an alum bearing carrier shim installer. I also highly recommend that you buy the adjustable side carrier shim kit.(this never comes in master kit)Be prepaired to learn how to crush a crush coller and get break away torque right. This is really something I don't recommend to first timers.

Wow, this sounds like a little more than I can chew. lol Ill look around to see how much an install is. Whats normal for an install?

The rebuild kit is needed wether you do it or someone else does. At least if you want ot do it right. No point taking it all apart and not installing new bearings and seals. How much depend son how much you do and how rusty you car is underneath. If you remove the pumpkin yourself and bring it to a shop a rebuild should be $200 or so for the labor plus the parts. If you drive the car in to a shop it will costmore. If you have none of the tools already you will spend more on the tools than paying someone for the install. There is a good DVD on rebuilding all Ford differentials from Bad shoe Productions for $30. It will show you exactly what is involved. You also want to get a traction lock carrier. You do not want 3:73 or higher without a traction lock.

I would say you will soend $1000 for parts and labor to getthis done.

I don't plan on being to rambunxios with them. I cant afford a t-lock, I still have to buy books for college. I have decided to just remove the pumpkin and take it in to a shop. How do I do this? From what I can see.. Disconnect drive shaft, remove one of the half shafts, unbolt the 4 bolts holding to frame while holding with a jack, and slide out other half shaft as I am lowering the pumpkin? just a guess..

I don't plan on being to rambunxios with them. I cant afford a t-lock, I still have to buy books for college. I have decided to just remove the pumpkin and take it in to a shop. How do I do this? From what I can see.. Disconnect drive shaft, remove one of the half shafts, unbolt the 4 bolts holding to frame while holding with a jack, and slide out other half shaft as I am lowering the pumpkin? just a guess..

Find a used nice posi unit and do it all at once. They are not that much money. If your getting new gears set up might as well put a posi in!!!!! You can just remove the c clips off end of axles. Alot of peeps on here have done that to run a solid axle posi unit.

So I can pull a unit from a solid axle and just remove the clips? I have 0 idea what is in there so im sorry for the dumb questions

So I can pull a unit from a solid axle and just remove the clips? I have 0 idea what is in there so im sorry for the dumb questions

You remove the C clips from the ends of your axles. I think Chris2523 took his clips off with no problems. I have a str8 axle posi in mine but I machined the bevels into side gears. This confuses alot of peeps so no worries. You can most likey pick up a used posi for 60 -75.

cool. well ill get some estimates and let you guys know what I do.. I cant wait!!!

You remove the C clips from the ends of your axles. I think Chris2523 took his clips off with no problems. I have a str8 axle posi in mine but I machined the bevels into side gears. This confuses alot of peeps so no worries. You can most likey pick up a used posi for 60 -75.

Correct. I removed the c clips without any issues. And I drive my car pretty hard. I had to remove an axle to change the hubs once and still had to work to get the half shaft out of the diff.

i thought e had this discussion that any of the trac locs will work they dont have to be irs specific, thats what you did chris, and the ford racing part sold by muscle mustangs said for use in straight and irs models.

i thought e had this discussion that any of the trac locs will work they dont have to be irs specific, thats what you did chris, and the ford racing part sold by muscle mustangs said for use in straight and irs models.

Yes they all will drop in and "work" but you will have a hell of a time pulling an IRS axle out of a solid rear posi. Maybe all the new Ford racing ones are all fitted with the beveled side gear as standard thing now?

edit. meh.

better pic.

818c2334ee9b6bec2e74f47e08e75c86.image.330x330.jpg

on the big gears you can see the little bevel cut in it. solid axle spider gears will be just flat there.

In chris's pic the larger side gears. These are the ones the axles slide thru the center. You can see the 28 spline count cut into center of gear. Now that little bevel cut on the ID of that gear is the one we are talking about. That makes the C clip compress into the shaft as you are trying to pop it out. Without bevel(or 45) its like hitting a wall and locks the axle in.

when you got your trac loc it wasnt from a irs car anyways,right. all i remember was it said it would fit both straight and irs applications, but have since discontinued the item and i deleted it off bookmark lists. no way to retrieve it is there?

Members online

No members online now.
Back