"Change AC Filter Soon" What is this?

amagalla

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a message: "Change AC filter soon". I thought this was the cabin filter, but now I found this:

Inline Filter

Can someone tell me what the message is referring to?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

AC Filter is your Cabin Air Filter. Its under the wiper blade cowl on the passenger side.

Cool. That's cheaper. I have a Motorcraft part number of MIFP45. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again.

Tony

MC part isnt worth it for an AC Filter. Grab one from NAPA, its $24. There is also FRAM which is even cheaper, but not as common to find.

Otherwise, take yours out and take an air compressor to it and clean it out. AC Filter lasts 2x longer than the car says it does.

You might want to consider a activated charcoal filter that will help remove odors when you replace yours, you see them on Ebay.

You might want to consider a activated charcoal filter that will help remove odors when you replace yours, you see them on Ebay.

My understanding is that the charcoal is used up after the first day of use.

MC part isnt worth it for an AC Filter. Grab one from NAPA, its $24. There is also FRAM which is even cheaper, but not as common to find.

Otherwise, take yours out and take an air compressor to it and clean it out. AC Filter lasts 2x longer than the car says it does.

+1 I've been driving around with a filter in my trunk. I've already reset the alarm once. There's usually an off smell that comes when it's really time to change/clean the filter.

Just blow out the old filter with compressed air, reset and go. Done.

I tell you. Go for the Purolator cabin air filter. It adds at least 20 HP!

strange always thought ac filter would have been the "ac filter dryer".

Why would you need to change that on a closed system, and how would the car know it needed replaced?

The Lincoln LS is not a closed system, ever notice the vents in your rear deck, it is a one way direction for airflow.

The cabin filter uses a time/mileage timer. I don't put many miles a year on my LS and I have to reset mine a few times before changing every 20K.

The Lincoln LS is not a closed system, ever notice the vents in your rear deck, it is a one way direction for airflow.

The cabin filter uses a time/mileage timer. I don't put many miles a year on my LS and I have to reset mine a few times before changing every 20K.

You have to read quotes when people use them...I was referring to the filter/dryer in the closed system vapor cycle loop that constitutes the part of the A/C with the filter fryer in it. ;)

so if my a/c filter is dirty and says it needs to be changed
do I really need to, I mean just wondering cuz I dont use my a/c cuz it just blows hot air anyways

do I really need to, I mean just wondering cuz I dont use my a/c cuz it just blows hot air anyways

All air (except for when you select recycle) that goes through the climate system goes through the filter. If you restrict airflow enough for long enough, it may overheat your blower speed control.

Either replace the filter, or remove the filter and leave it out.

The "replace filter" message on the dash is just based on how much you used the car since the last time the message was reset. It doesn't really know if the filter is clean or dirty or not even there.

Just pull it out and inspect it, then reset the warning message (check your owner's manual).

Just like the engine air filter, this is just another maintenance piece. You don't necessarily need a new one. Take a look, knock out the dirt, and get back on your way.

I haven't changed mine sice 2007 :p I will soon. After the leaky sunroof drains last fall, I had a smell in the car, from the wet carpet I'm sure. It was cleaned but the vents have an odor.

Oh oh I know, take the old one out, blast with air compressor, spray with Febreeze and reinstall :)

I've done that a few times, because I'm cheap like that.:cool:

You guys must have cleaner air there then here. By the time the message comes up for me, the filter is dark colored all the way through and uncleanable.

Members online

Back