Cb

lsc 98 f100

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
any one have any information about a cb radio with no antenna at all? i want a cb in my mark but i dont want anything sticking off the top of it. do they even make such a thing?

You don't necessarily need an externally mounted antenna for communications radios..

Trucks still use them and they are always pointing out cops. Plus it's easier to use than a cell.

I though c.b. radios went out in the early 80's

No, truckers and rednecks still use them.

Trucks still use them and they are always pointing out cops. Plus it's easier to use than a cell.

In case you didn't get the memo...?

A Mark VIII, a truck it is not.

Don't expect any range out of internal antennae. And by "any range" I mean over 1 mile. Think of what happens when you unplug the antenna connector out of your am/fm radio and you then tune into the AM band... static. And some of those AM stations broadcast at 50K watts. A few more than your standard every day run of the mill Cobra radio.

Actually back in the late 70 and 80's General Motors offered a Stereo AM/FM / CB radio that utilized one external antenna. I traveled a lot back then and found it a good friend, I think I still have one or two units in storage as I removed them and installed the standard radio as GM stopped with the fully integrated one. They are also popular with fisherman on the great lakes so they can chat off the marine radio frequencies.

You don't necessarily need an externally mounted antenna for communications radios..

You do if you want range, and frequency pick-up. Without one you would not get any emergency channels nor someone calling out a few miles out.

Try using a scanner without a external antenna, you get nothing without a antenna.

A CB radio in a Mark VIII? :rolleyes: Is this said Mark going to be on the HWY all the time speeding and "depending" on truckers to tell you about cops? If you're going to ruin it, go all the way. Cut a hole in the trunk, dead center and install the 10' antenna with a tennis ball on the top. :D The "Bandit" in a Mark VIII. Next you can put the gold eagle on the hood.

A CB radio in a Mark VIII? :rolleyes: Is this said Mark going to be on the HWY all the time speeding and "depending" on truckers to tell you about cops? If you're going to ruin it, go all the way. Cut a hole in the trunk, dead center and install the 10' antenna with a tennis ball on the top. :D The "Bandit" in a Mark VIII. Next you can put the gold eagle on the hood.

You forgot the T top Terry :)

No, truckers and rednecks still use them.

Yeah, I know...had a redneck that lives around the corner from me when I moved to this sh*thole. He had a hopped up base station and would make my dsl (I was the only one who had dsl in this neighborhood) lose sync. That was until Ma Bell got the FCC involved. ;)

Go for it...it is your Mark paid for with your money...if you want to put an 8 track in there you could get one of these http://www.8trackheaven.com/cbradio.html or one of these:8trackcb.jpg :cool:

8trackcb.jpg

This thread is a laugh riot.... especially for someone who was 21 during the height of the cb craze in the 70s.

But I can identify with what the OP is seeking. There are still a lot of truckers using CB or GMR bands just for companionship on the highway. I believe many of these hand held units have enough range for other motorists within straight line of sight. And if not, they also make decent magnetic mount antennas for temporary use, if the radio unit has a jack.

If really serious, I would recommend looking into one of the higher quality ham radio hand held units that can transmit/receive a wide spectrum. From what I understand, one can get into the entry level of ham radio nowadays fairly easily. No morse code tests or anything like that for a beginner.

You do if you want range, and frequency pick-up. Without one you would not get any emergency channels nor someone calling out a few miles out.

Try using a scanner without a external antenna, you get nothing without a antenna.

... Internal antenna is not the same as NO antenna.

If really serious, I would recommend looking into one of the higher quality ham radio hand held units that can transmit/receive a wide spectrum. From what I understand, one can get into the entry level of ham radio nowadays fairly easily. No morse code tests or anything like that for a beginner.

or even easier get a nice ham radio and just use the citizen band but remember you gotta pay to play. thats what i did for years, my favorite radio was a RCI 2970, it could go anywhere and as long as i didnt talk where i wasnt supposed to i as ok.

ive thought about putting a radio in the mark but it would have to be really small and i dont want the antenna on the car. i had a Cherokee that was tiny and could do anything the rci did, but my buddy borrowed it and let the magic smoke out :(

Members online

Back