"Cash for Clunkers" puts the LS where is belongs

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Due to the piss poor value of the LS the cash for clunkers program should pretty much make most 1st gen. LS's destined for the crusher. The 2nd Gen is not quite there yet but most likely deserves the same fate. As eye pleasing as the LS may be the reliability sucks. I'm on my 2nd and 3rd set of coils and i feel yet another misfire building. I have never owned or heard of a car that was so horribly designed as the LS in this aspect. Add in the dccv, valve cover gaskets and other common problems it only gets worse. So for that and the currently unacceptable 18 mpg average that the LS gets i actually think the gov. is doing a great thing with this Clunkers program. I can only hope the program is still around when mine is paid off, i'd have great joy putting my LS out of its misery and crushed. The only problem i have found with that program is your pretty much limited to buying a four banger. I couldnt find any decent V6's that qualify. I dont visit here too much anymore but its crazy how many new people join here and complain about the coils. Its seems the buyers of the LS keep getting younger and are going to have to deal with expensive repair bills. Lincoln should be ashamed of the LS. They had a great opportunity to make a great car but totally failed.

I wouldn't call it a total failure. It is an amazing car when it is all working properly. There are weak points as you mentioned, but with it being way cheaper when it was new than the other new vehicles in the same segment, you have to expect some things to have issues. The VCG/Coil issues on the V8 I do agree it was totally bad engineering and quality control that allowed it to pass out the door as it was and should have been altered over the years to correct the issue.

Overall, I think Lincoln was using it to see if it was worth them moving away from the oversized grandpa rolling LaZboy rides into a more youthful market. As that, it was a success. There are many fans of the LS young and old. Granted those with a thin wallet would be discouraged with the repair bills, but most still love the car's balance of ride, handling, power, and looks for the money. If the LS hadn't found fans young and old, they would not have spent a penny or second one in the MKR concept.

I read somewhere (most likely from a link in here) that Gen2 had something like 15% less repairs needed on average than the Gen1s. So they did improve some things over the years. Gen2 may not meet the same fate if the reliability truely comes into play on qualifications.

Overall I have seen Lincoln making great improvments since the LS and am excited to see where things go.

The reason you see younger people getting the LS, is the depriciated cost. All luxury cars lose value fast, esspecially American luxury cars. They can afford to buy it now and couldn't before. Same reason anyone buys used luxury cars.

I joined this site months before I got my first LS. Knowing that it is what I wanted. I still think the benefits of the car outweigh the negatives. It looks great. Plus if you know how to fix all the common problems, whats the big deal?

I'll say it, I'm not scared. I LOVE my LS. ;]

What kind of gas are you using, and how are you driving if you are only getting 18 mpg? I have a 2001 lsv8 and I am currently getting 23.8 mpg combined. Granted that I am using 93 octane without ethanol in it, and I pay a little more at the pump, but for 6 miles more to the gallon I will take it. I also bought my first ls three weeks ago, and I got lucky in the fact that it was a one owner california car that was owned by an older gentleman that took great care of his car. I know this because I have all of his service records in my glove box, and there hasn't been a single problem with the coils or anything else. How we take car of our cars has a great deal to do with what needs to be fixed on them.

Are you kidding me? You remind me of Apple computer users and Jap car owners..... My apple/ my honda is the best thing never has any problems..... Then when you actually go to there blogs its filled will complaints and problems as much as or more than Windows/American car owners.

As far as the LS not being a good vehicle. I don't know what your vision of a great product is.... I haven't had coil problems and might not, but the engineering on this car is and was ahead of its time... $30k car to compete with BMW and do it.... I mean give me a break...

And screw the clunkers for cash BS retarded idea.... Pay you now Tax you later. Total agenda idea.

Ive had my LS for 5 years bought it new and I still think its one of the better looking cars on the road. That being said Ive had the usual problems. I think the coils the dealer kept installing were either defective/cheap. Same for the DCCV. Once I had the oem coils replaced by non motorcraft by my mech they have been fine. Ive never read of replacement DCCV's failing so maybe the new ones were by a dif. vendor. This is def. a high maint vechicle and needs to serviced on a regular basis. It seems Im always throwing cash at it for some thing or the other.

IMO I think the LS is a great car also!! Great looks and half way decent power stock. I'm getting 23.6 MPG after all the work I did.

As far as reliability, one thing I can say is that at least the cars have the same problems that are common to each other and almost predictable. Better than something way out of left field when something malfunctions.

Reliable unrealiablity on some of the parts I guess. :shifty:

You gotta sacrifice something to gain something. Sure trade in your fun LS that smokes plenty of other vehicles for a lil 4 banger...have fun with your ricer, focus, or cobalt.....have fun with them...I'd rather keep my luxury and V8 power where it is. And since Ford announced NO MORE RWD sedan shall be made it means the LS is a collector's item in the fact it's the last production 4dr RWD sold. Plus only a 6 year life in the market means that years down the road finding a old one to tune up (kinda like the old cars such as a Gran Turino, Barracuda, Duster) I enjoy my LS and not bad for my first car. I'd rather keep my car going til I have no use for it or gasoline engine are outlawed. Cause I'm saving funds for a great retirement car :-D

I don't remember what the "official gas milage" was for the LS, but if it was more than 18 MPG it will not qualify for the Cash for Clunkers program.

It almost seems as if some here only own an LS to give themselves something to complain about. You can always sell the car and buy a ricer!
KS

It almost seems as if some here only own an LS to give themselves something to complain about. You can always sell the car and buy a ricer!
KS

Ditto! I'm on my 4th. My daughter purchased my 2000 V6 w/~167K miles on it. I have had to do normal repairs; VC gaskets, coils, plugs, PCV hose, DCCV, degas bottle, cooling fan hydraulic pump, shocks, brakes; but those repairs are to be expected on any high mileage car. We're on vacation and my last tank yielded ~25mpg; 340 freeway miles above 75mph (~45 of those mountainous) and 50 in hilly town miles. My last 4 fill-ups showed over 400 MTE. My latest showed 425. Not bad mileage for a vacation loaded V8!

Nah, i have owned an LS for awhile now. I was excited to go from a '02 V6 to a '05 V8. The trip computer shows an average for me at 18.2 mpg. Now i live in Orlando where traffic sucks, its humid and hot as hell, so i am sure that has alot to do with the mileage. I always pump 93 octane in my car. I have had the car maintained on a regular basis, I'm just really really tired of the coil problems. I put alot of miles on the car, it will be turning 110k by friday this week. I plan to keep the car till its paid off but i am starting to doubt if it will make it another 14 months without another major repair and as i said i can feel another misfire building. My one comparison is my wife's '01 Intrepid. It has 108k miles and other than gas and oil changes it has been great. Not one single coil issue which wouldnt be so bad on that car because they are sitting right on top of the intake and have easy access. The more i think about it most of the cars that i have seen with COP's, the LS is about the only one that has "covers" on them. I'm thinking maybe that design just allows them to trap heat and get fried. If the coils on the LS were easier to swap i probably wouldnt mind replacing one after another, but the process of replacing a coil sucks. My hands just dont quite fit well in the tight spaces to replace the coils.
As far as the Clunkers program, i think its concept is good in regards to getting old gas guzzling cars off the road, but when you really examine it i think it has its issues. With the program you have to buy a brand new car, most people who own the cars that qualify are also the type of people who either dont want or cant afford a "new" car. I have my issues with it because you pretty much get stuck with a 4 cylinder and most of those models are plain boring cars. I could get by with a decent V6, but i will never own a four banger. The LS is the eigth car i have owned since i was 16 yrs old, all of those previous cars i have taken over the 100k mark. The LS has been the worst as far as sh!t needing repair. I think Lincoln should implement a lifetime warranty on the coils for the LS as most are starting to push 100k and the coil problems continue well after that.

Seems the V8 LS barely qualifies. The V6 doesn't. I have news for the EPA; both my V8s get better mileage than the V6.

I smell a scam. The '00-'02 V8s qualify but the '03-'06 don't? The '03-'06 get just 1 combined mpg (18) better! I wonder why they picked 17mpg and not 16 or 18...........

I smell a scam. The '00-'02 V8s qualify but the '03-'06 don't? The '03-'06 get just 1 combined mpg (18) better! I wonder why they picked 17mpg and not 16 or 18...........

The 2nd gen does qualify, the cutoff if 18 mpg. There are different qualifications for two door, four door, trucks, suvs, etc. A four door sedan has a cutoff of 18 mpg.

I wanted to take advantage of the program but dont want a car note right now. I love my Ls but I have my eyes set on the new Camaros. The program is good until November or until money runs out. I'll keep the ls another 2 years.

Pretty harsh words for the LS saying it's a clunker. I purchased my LS just under a year ago. I had just graduated college and was hired as a teacher so I decided it was time to "grow up" and buy a nice car. I had about a 20 miles drive each day to and from school so I didn't want to be driving my Camaro 45-50 miles each day (not exactly the nicest ride). Anyway, I spent a couple months looking at Saabs, Volvos, Cadillacs, etc. I wanted something with both performance and luxury but didn't look like a grandma should be behind the wheel. Out of everything I drove, the LS was by far my favorite. I was always a Chevy/GM guy and I have owned a couple Camaro's. My dad has owned a few Cadillacs, a Tahoe, and a Blazer, but the LS really caught my eye. Obviously I could have bought a Honda or something at a similar cost and perhaps gotten better reliability, but I am a young guy and I like styling and performance. The styling of the LS is sporty enough, the interior is luxurious enough, and the reliability is good enough for the price I paid. The only car I test drove that was even close (and in my price range) was a CTS.

Before I bought the car, I knew about some of the issues the LS faces. However, the major problems of these cars is pretty much covered by ford depending on the year. My 03 has only been in the shop a couple times and nearly every time it was a simple fix or covered by the extended warranty (VCG/coils). Sure there are some days when the car drives me nuts and I wish I would have bought that damn Cadillac, but I deal with it and look at all the positives. Besides, who's to say I wouldn't have problems with another car.

I will restate my opinion that it is all a matter of perception. To some of us VCGs, hydraulic pump, Coils, plugs and window regulators are no big deal and a part of owning a car. To others those are major issues and qualify a car as being a POS. I have heard stories of people that get pissed when their engine siezes after they drove 40,000 miles without ever changing the oil. "But it was under warranty, I shouldn't have to". My brother's Honda had to have a new transmission after only 3000 miles. The thing just fell apart on him. Does that mean all Hondas suck? Nope. In my opinion even that specific Honda is a great reliable car. Sometimes Sh1t just happens.

My car kicks ass so don't rain on my parade. :D

The EPA took the original window sticker ratings and applied some sort of formula to come up with the new ratings probably based on age and other factors. I would never consider trading my LS for $4500 in the C4C program.

But, Friday I did trade in my 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 using this program for a Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 390hp V8 Hemi. Dodge is offering matching dollars so the $4500 clunker money, plus Dodge matching $4500 plus other standard discounts totaled over 10k all together. I think it is great that I could use this program to drive home in a loaded to the hilt truck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back