Car turning off at full throttle?

jcavz24x

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got an oil change today (synthetic) and put some injector cleaner in my gas tank before filling. About 30 minutes later I decided to open it up at 50mph. At about 65 my car just shut off. I pulled into a parking lot and it restarted fine. I do not think the oil change or cleaner caused it.

This happen to anyone else?

Chris
'01 LS v6

How many miles are on the car??? If your getting up 60,000-100,000 mile point, fuel pump could be ready to take a dump. I dobt the oil had any bearing on this, but injector cleaner could have loosened something. Also when was the last time you changed your fuel filter??? Clogged filters could cause this.

There are 32k miles on it. I just got the car 2 weeks ago.

Chris

If there are no check engine lights, it will be hard to detect. Did it only happen once??? I would still replace fuel filter, it may be the original. Couldn't hurt.

Yeah it could be the pumps or the rear electronic module. I went through this with my 00 LS V6 Sport. Eventually it would spontaneously shutdown even at neighborhood sppeds and at stop lights.

You can put the car in neutral and roll the key back to off and coast the turn the engine over while coasting.

el es...WHat did you do to fix the problem..just pump or both?

Heres another question for a tech that i always wondered...Does gas get pushed through or sucked through the fuel filter. Meaning, if i were to pull the fuel filter and put the car to the ON position, would gas pour out to the ground or would nothing happen. If gas were to pour out, wouldnt that be unfiltered gas going through the pump making it easier to brake?

Chris

well the shop first replaced the pumps but the problem recurred the next next day. I had it towed back and they had the car for over 90 days trying to figure the problem out. I guess they got the assistance of the Wixom Engineers becasue they made some mention of having spoken with them and that they recommended replacing the REM when the pumps get replaced.

I think that might have been a cover story though in hind sight. I think it might have been the REM but they couldn't isolate the problem to that component or did not have the experince to know at the time that the REM was the point of the real fault. That is just my speculation based on what I have learned about the system since then.

The fuel line is pressurized by the fuel pump in the fuel tank. Vaccum does not come into play utill it hits the manifold which is basically a vaccum. The fuel rail sits pressurized and the innjectors inject the fuel into the fuel supply maifold. basically it is a sending system from tank to intake.

where in FL do you live? I live in Brandon another member here Fordman is in my neck of the woods as well.

there is a documented issue with the early LSes stalling - it usually happens at lower speeds, under a change in speed (braking or accelerating) and usually when the vechile changing direction. The LS engineers never did get it figured out - a lot of us have had it happen once or twice. They were leaning to a fuel pickup problem.....

man there was no such pattern with my stall/shutdowns. Hwy/city any speed it just went. At first it tended to happen at hwy speeds but later decided that city driving was a good time to die. Then progressed, if you will, to happening when I would apply throtle from a full stop say at a red light or stop sign.

It wouldnt even show any sign prior not a sputter or rough idle, nothing. BAM would just shutdown. I was nearly rear ended by a suburban and a city bus on two occassions the day after they replaced the fuel pumps. My phone call to the shop after I changed my soiled under pants was not professional or polite by any measure.

did the car still have electrial power? (dash readings, radio, ...etc)

el es..Broward county

yeah..the dash and AC continued to run, however the power steering went out and was pretty hard to turn.
Which reminds me...My old car did the same thing a few years back. I turned the stereo on and floored it. While changing gears(auto) it shut off. Im pretty sure it turned back on by itself while rolling when i turned electrical parts off. A few days later the battery went dead

Chris

Quik LS said:
did the car still have electrial power? (dash readings, radio, ...etc)
sure did. The engine just shutdown. not even a rough idle on the way out. Just wham no engine power at all. It is the weirdest thing I have ever witnessed in a car. I equate it to a sniper hitting someone in the brain stem with a 50cal. Just drops dead. Accys still worked though.

Hey chris I have always wanted to hit Lincoln Drive there in Miami. I let you knwo the next time we come down. I have family out in Davie.

I am currently having the same problem. I am about to hit 70,000 I am going to check if I have had the fuel pumps replaced. I am almost positive becuase I remember them having to redo it because they put somthing in backwards.

It happens when the engine is broke in for the day at a nice temperature. It only happens when I accelerator a lot, usually in the upper gears. It almost always happens when I am cruising at 55-65 and want to pass a car. Like El Es state, like a sniper.

Lucas05 3 said:
I am currently having the same problem. I am about to hit 70,000 I am going to check if I have had the fuel pumps replaced. I am almost positive becuase I remember them having to redo it because they put somthing in backwards.

It happens when the engine is broke in for the day at a nice temperature. It only happens when I accelerator a lot, usually in the upper gears. It almost always happens when I am cruising at 55-65 and want to pass a car. Like El Es state, like a sniper.

sorry to hear you are getting burdened with this problem. I hope you have a great relationship with your LM dealer/shop. Get this in before the 75k mile mark. Lincoln offers 2 after warranty adjustments upto 75k miles.

I left my car for over 90 days before they fixed my car. Ask them if they can diag the REM if the fuel pumps have been replaced.

It happened again. This time i was accelerating and it shut off at about 45. El es and lucas...Do you guys have the factory upgrade for the security system? I did not have the car long enough to know but the first time it happened was after they installed the factory upgrade box which connected to the one already there.

Chris

jcavz24x said:
It happened again. This time i was accelerating and it shut off at about 45. El es and lucas...Do you guys have the factory upgrade for the security system? I did not have the car long enough to know but the first time it happened was after they installed the factory upgrade box which connected to the one already there.

Chris

My alarm is stock. In the end mine would do it at any speed, from a dead stop at a stop light and rolling to a stop.

Members online

No members online now.
Back