Car painting

LS4me

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
With all this whole car painting discussion going on I have to ask.....

Why and are you guys getting a smokin' deal? I got a quote for the 2000 about 4 years ago of ~$10K, waaaaaay more than the car was worth; and that was for the same color. I can't imagine what a color change would have cost! Wouldn't it be less expensive to just acquire a newer car? You just have money to burn? I could think of much better places to dump the money (paying off my house would be nice!).

Just asking....... Trying to get a feel for the way utes think these days.....

$10k for a same-color repaint is obscene. $3k is more reasonable, and if you know what you are doing and have a painter you can trust on the side, $1k paint jobs (good ones) can be done if you put in some effort with prep and finish work.

Your extremely high quote was probably a combination of being in CA as well as most likely being a "high end" shop.

Yea I feel your pain on that. I'm in the market of getting my car repainted which I was going to have done last July but put it off because I bought a house in December. I had gotten a quote for $2800 to do the whole car the same color, take everything off including bumpers etc, and to paint my chrome surround and factory side skirts. Then after a few weeks they knocked $600 off the price. For a nice paint job back the same color I wouldn't pay over $3k. Now unless the car needs extensive body work, then that can drive the price up a little bit. Now I would expect to pay over that if I decided to change the color on the car and have them do the jams and stuff like that. I guess it all depends on what part of the country you live in and shop itself. I know when I got my 01 back in 05 I had got a quote of $4k to go back the same color and that didn't include any body work. I was like f@#k that.

Last edited:
Your extremely high quote was probably a combination of being in CA as well as most likely being a "high end" shop.

It was a quality shop with an "as long as I own the car" warranty. That's what I like as I keep my cars until they die or repairs start getting out of hand.

They were also removing all the trim, glass and painting the jambs and anywhere the paint may be visible.

I guess Maaco would charge less......

$10K is way too much.

even for a classic muscle car restoration it would be less.

$5K will get you a high quality paint job matched to an oem color. Its best to use oem colors that way if you get into an accident you can have it repaired easily as they dont have to mix and match the paint.

It was a quality shop with an "as long as I own the car" warranty. That's what I like as I keep my cars until they die or repairs start getting out of hand.

They were also removing all the trim, glass and painting the jambs and anywhere the paint may be visible.

Chip Foose himself wouldn't charge 10gs for a repaint of the same color. Also, why would paint the jambs on a repaint of the same color. Its a waste of time, paint and money.

There is a shop around here that will respray your car the same color for $1000. I thought it would be crap work, but my buddy took the plunge and it looks better than a another friends $3500 paint job.

I guess Maaco would charge less......

Yea they will charge less but you will get what you pay for. They don't do a lot of prepping from what I've seen. They will paint right over the old paint.

I a body guy prep my camaro, then towed it to macco. I see the car still around town and the paint looks great still. I had it done 10 years ago. Spent $700.

macco is a franchise and each one is different.

some good but most are bad.

[/B]
They will paint right over the old paint.

Yea so will every other shop. If you take your car anywhere to get the same color sprayed, they will scuff the paint and only primer any areas where they do body work. If the car is straight, they are not gonna primer the whole car.

yeah but ive heard macco wont even rough it up...just paint right over.

Yea so will every other shop. If you take your car anywhere to get the same color sprayed, they will scuff the paint and only primer any areas where they do body work. If the car is straight, they are not gonna primer the whole car.

Depend on what shop you take it too. Can't say that's true for every shop. I've seen shops primer the whole car with very little body work. It all depends on the shop, but mainly what the customer want if they have some knowledge of the paint process. If you don't know better then they will get over. That's why I do my homework on anything I plan on doing. So that way I know what questions to ask when I conduct business.

Depend on what shop you take it too. Can't say that's true for every shop. I've seen shops primer the whole car with very little body work. It all depends on the shop, but mainly what the customer want if they have some knowledge of the paint process. If you don't know better then they will get over. That's why I do my homework on anything I plan on doing. So that way I know what questions to ask when I conduct business.

On a same color respray, priming the whole car is just a way of ripping off insurance, or a customer paying out of pocket. As long as the prep is good it is not required.

You ship your LS to me. I can have the rear doors suicided and a custom paint job done for $4000.:)

He told me he wants it to look like a giant pink dildo.

I have been searching for a shop locally here that does vinyl wraps. I want to go satin black

I'd pay 3k to get my whole car repainted if it ever needed it, but not 10k.

Yeah for $10K you can just buy one the color of your choice and sell the current one.

Maaco screwed me twice. I prepped the car and even took the door panels off (my Mustang) they sprayed the inside of the doors and got the irregular triangle shapes painted into the windows which must have been down at the time. They delivered the car to me this way! WTF! When I took the car back to get that and numerous other problems fixed a pair of Costa DelMar sun glasses and toll quarters were stolen. When that paint job completely failed (2 years) I had it repainted by another Maaco shop under warranty (still cost me like $1000) and another crap job was done. I even payed for clear coat and never got it. Either time..... Thats why I do my oen painting now, but I couldnt do an entire car.... Yet...

I have been searching for a shop locally here that does vinyl wraps. I want to go satin black

Why wrap it in a single color?:confused: Why not do something original/different? IMO If all your doing is changing the color, its a waste of time and money. Just paint it.

Actually a wrap is cheaper than a paintjob, and is easily reversible. Also it would cover up any existing paint imperfections. I think an LS in satin black would look real mean.

Members online

No members online now.
Back