Can Anyone Beat This?

I know on the 1st gen I have owned you could reset it while coasting down a hill and get big numbers. But for me none of them did better than 30 mpg on a full trip.

I could make my average say 99 mpg if I wanted to. But I highly doubt that method works for "miles to empty" as that recalculates over a much longer period of driving.

How many miles did you actually get before you filled it up? Hand method is always the best way to figure out what your actually gas mileage is. I never trust the on board computer to get MPG.

picture.php

I could make my average say 99 mpg if I wanted to. But I highly doubt that method works for "miles to empty" as that recalculates over a much longer period of driving.

Correct. IIRC that calculation is based on the past 500 miles of driving.

The best I've seen is 570 something. Don't have a picture and don't have the car any more either. That was in my old 94 Z4HO doing 70ish MPH, getting around 32mpg with a decent amount of hills. Getting slightly better mileage is the ONE good thing about living a mile above sea level.

Also, Gen 2s seem to get significantly worse fuel economy than Gen 1s..

I am trying to figure out why Gen 1s get such better mileage on average.

I thought it was drag coefficient or frontal area but they are both the same at .33 so I figured it had to be weight but they are within 50lbs of each other. The only thing I can figure is that most people on here that have second Gens have LSCs so maybe its the 3.27 gears. Its that or most first Gen owners drive like old people and second Gen owners have more fun. Or second Gen owners are more popular and have more friends that want to ride in their cars thus adding more weight. :D

*note*
Last two sentences were in jest.

Well, first gens accelerate so much faster that we don't have to floor the gas pedal for 3 minutes every time we merge onto the interstate. :)

I'd lay the blame on the tune and intake manifold, with a very minor difference due to the gearing.

Members online

Back