calling all LS Owners

Cool, I figure out when I can sign up and post to these forums.
Man I wish I could sleep.
I've got a job interview tomorrow, that was total unexpected and I have to teach all the classes tomorrow at the karate school from 4-8 so its like the last thing I need is to not get sleep tonight.

Hopefully these folks will weigh in and then we will have another bunch of emails to toss over to GMS.

Uuuuughhhhh, I hear ya on the sleep thing.

Time check... but I'm at work actually.

Okay, I got a couple of hours of sleep.
Aparently that was enough for me I guess.
I've got the second interview on Monday.

Now if I could just pull this together, I'd be home free.

Hey Mike where did you send the links???

okay, folks. I've gotten word out to the Tbird people and the S-type folks as well.
Hopefully that will push enough emails into GMS's mailbox that they will wake up and realize there is a need for these coils.

Keep'm comming folks.

Well, getting really good responses from the Tbird and Jag folks.

I will have to call GMS on WED, to see what they say now.

Hopefully it will be yes on both motors coils.
Everybody that mailed me already, think positive thoughts.

the rest, come on.

What are you getting for responses from the T-Bird and Jag folks, as far as numbers and responses?

JES_LS said:
Today I spoke with my contact at GMS. He says that the design study is done and it is do able.
The only hold up with the team is the engineers want to be convinced that they would sell.

to that end he suggested that if I could you guys to send me a short little "Yes" email simply stating that you would like to by HD coils for your car and which engine your car has then they will be able to see that they can really sell the coils. I'll forward the mails to GMS, and try to keep some sort of running total for us.

Infact lets make this easy make the subject line "Yes, I want HD coils" and I set up a filter to catch these quickly.

I'm also going to post this on LLSOC.

If one of our s-type jag owners and any member of the Tbird lists could post this over there and have them shoot the email to me, I'll be glad to tally them and forward them to GMS as well. And if I'm missing any particular group please let me know and I work out how to get their votes as well.

this is it folks, If we ask enough, they will build them.

Thanks

Joey in the interest of getting as many mails as possible to GMS can we get a sticky on this post.

Well, John if mine fail I'd rather have something from GMS that was properly designed and made correctly in the first place -- not something that keeps failing. So, count me in!
Lincolnlov

Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, sure as the Pope is Catholic...

Driving home from work this morning, car starts running like $hit! Soon after the CEL starts flashing. So I swing by Autozone to have them pull the code and the infamous P0302 comes up... misfire in cyl #2!

This makes the seventh coil I've replaced on the car!

These OEM coils sure are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike send that to me in an email and I'll forward that to GMS. If they see that the OEM coils keep failing, they should see that thier product will sell.

mholhut said:
What are you getting for responses from the T-Bird and Jag folks, as far as numbers and responses?
Well just last night I got 15 emails to forward, 12 tbird's, 2 jag's and one additional LVC member. That count exceeds the whopping total of three from LLSOC members that I do not see here as well.
I'll have to re-tally the total counts but I know that we are over 60 emails already to GMS.

Remember they were already thinking about building them, they just kind of needed a "we want them" kick the pants to get them moving.

JES_LS said:
That count exceeds the whopping total of three from LLSOC members that I do not see here as well.

Are the LVC/LLSOC members talking it up at the LLSOC forums? I can't really say that I'm suprised however. I think they still hold alot of animosity towards LVC.

My contact tells me that the engineering team is trying to get together to meet to decide to build these this week.
He says that several of the team are convinced that there is enough need, but keep the mails comming so he can push the others over the edge.

mholhut said:
Are the LVC/LLSOC members talking it up at the LLSOC forums? I can't really say that I'm suprised however. I think they still hold alot of animosity towards LVC.

Well since I never even mentioned that I was posting it overhear as well, I kind of thought that they might wise up and get in line. I guess they are afraid of seeming to go against their godlike Lincoln engineers.

I really do hope that we can get these cops built, then we can move onto other bigger and better things for our cars.

This whole thing seems puzzling, and i wonder if the GMS people are just pulling your chain. Your telling me that 60 people is going to be enough to engineer and manufacture a new auto part? Hell, lets say you get another 40 responses, is 100 people really going to be a deciding factor in this? Out of the thousands and thousands of Lincoln LS's or T-birds or S-type on the road it only takes that few "users" to accomodate a part? I dont knock what your doing, i havent had any problems on either LS but if the parts wear out prematurely than i understand your angle. It just doesnt seem like enough of a market to research and develop an new product.

Fla02LS said:
This whole thing seems puzzling, and i wonder if the GMS people are just pulling your chain. Your telling me that 60 people is going to be enough to engineer and manufacture a new auto part? Hell, lets say you get another 40 responses, is 100 people really going to be a deciding factor in this? Out of the thousands and thousands of Lincoln LS's or T-birds or S-type on the road it only takes that few "users" to accomodate a part? I dont knock what your doing, i havent had any problems on either LS but if the parts wear out prematurely than i understand your angle. It just doesnt seem like enough of a market to research and develop an new product.
They probably won't have to design a whole new unit. They'll likely take one of they're existing units and design it to fit. The 2v and 4v Mustang units are probably similar in design, just different casings to fit the different mounting. Thats what will probably be the deciding factor.

I would be interested in using GMS coils for my 2002 LS with a V8, when I need to replace my OEM coils. I have 65,000 on the car currently, so I hope they become available soon.

I'm almost wondering if the Mustang coils can be made to fit...

The only problem is that the mounting tab is on the opposite side from where the connector is. That is, if the connector is even the same as well. I put the GMS coil next to the stock LS coil. I think on the passenger's side of the V8 that the Mustaing coils would fit. Could probably even use your stock COP boots. On the driver's side, there could be enough room for the harness to reach the connectors.

Then again, I don't know if there's any internal design components that would be detrimental to the LS's function. We'd have to check the height of the coils as well. Maybe GMS could lend us a test set to see if they work???? I'm sick enough to be a guinea pig!

coils.jpg

Mike, I'm pretty sure that coils are internally very similar.
As I said before the mounting bolt boss in on the opposite side and the boot is different (no angle). I think that we are close enough to getting them made that we could and maybe should wait until GMS steps up.
I guess I feel that we have a shot at this for three reasons.

1. The GMS folks never heard about the fact that the 3.9l and 3.0l motors in our cars had issues with the COP's. Our cars are not the main steam of the domestic performance world. So we have to show them that there was an issue.
2. They did not know that the Jag's and the tbird use the came COP's that almost triples the market base, so when I pointed that out, it was a major plus just like when GMS woke up to the fact that every rwd 4.6l uses one of two coils and three different boots.
3. We the owners are emailing and saying that we want them, who knows how many more out there will find out and want them as well. I'll bet that when the putz's over on the 'other' ls forum find out about these, they will be running over to GMS to get them. That is why I would prefer it if one of our members would get connected with GMS to be a dealer of the parts before they wake up and ruin it for all of us (hey Ken are you out there).

Every mail that we send them is another clear sign that there is a market for these coils.

If GMS won't make them I will contact another company that makes coils. I just found GMS, and got a 'definite maybe' from them before I called some other sources. I will keep calling, emailing and pressing the issue with parts companies until someone makes a better coil for our cars!!!!.

It is just like the old saying, 'never tell an engineer it can not be done, because he will prove you wrong'.
In this case it can be done, we just have to prove it should be done.

mholhut said:
I'm sick enough to be a guinea pig!

Oh yeah, I've already volunteered my v6 LS for testing as well.
But that will come soon enough although I might send another email as to how much our little group wants these coils.
as for the bolt boss, we could always get some small production machine shop to bang out a bunch of little ring brackets and use a couple of extra bolts to anchor them down.

I think that I will also call one of my old contacts for other coils and see if his company is interested.

Quik LS said:
are you sure the Jag uses the same coils as the LS?
the 3.0 definitely does as just about any oem replacement part uses the same number,

on the 4.0 I'm getting some conflicting info as some catalogs list it with the same number as the 3.9 for all years of the stype, some only list certain years and some do not even list any cross match.
And one lists at as same with a note about trimming the boot to length.

I mean, I'm sick enough to try retrofitting the Mustang coils to my car... but I'll wait for GMS to turn out some prototypes as well. I have access to a dyno so I can put some before and after numbers up for performance gains. I'm not in this for performance, I'm in it for the durability factor.

Also John, has there been any talk about pricing for these? I know many folks will be wavering on the vote.

And yes, another shout out to Ken to get on board as a distributor for GMS LS coils... that would be just desserts for some of the historical nay-sayers on the other side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back