Caliper Covers?

WhoBeDaPlaya

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used caliper covers on their LS? It would be quite a lot easier than powder coating it, plus I can't find a danged person in the Ames / Des Moines / Ankeny area who can do it (power-coating) :(

I was thinking of getting some red ones to try it out just so it'd be an easy install and easy to take off if i go for the paint. You mean those ebay ones right?

Dont do it. Overheated brakes are not good at all. with the caliper covered up how is it supposed to cool?

there is not much clearance between the caliper and the wheel, i would be worried that a universal cover would have interference. +1 on the cooling as well. why don't you just paint them with the caliper painting kits instead of having them powder coated? its a lot easier and doesn't take that long, i used the brush on style and didn't even have to take the brakes off of the car and was done in a couple of hours.

there is not much clearance between the caliper and the wheel, i would be worried that a universal cover would have interference. +1 on the cooling as well. why don't you just paint them with the caliper painting kits instead of having them powder coated? its a lot easier and doesn't take that long, i used the brush on style and didn't even have to take the brakes off of the car and was done in a couple of hours.

I was just going to use it for a how it looks not to run it i would rather paint it but wanted to see if to go red or black and I dont want to paint it twice right after i do it

I was just going to use it for a how it looks not to run it i would rather paint it but wanted to see if to go red or black and I dont want to paint it twice right after i do it

that's what photoshop is for :)

There are many pictures on this forum with painted calipers. Do some looking and see what you like. I painted mine black with the brush-on stuff. It worked really well. As for powder coating, you aren't looking hard enough. There are certainly a number of places in Des Moines that do it. A friend of mine here in Indiana does it at his house with his home oven. Anything small enough to fit in the oven he can powder coat. Do some searching and you might be able to find the materials to do it yourself.

Do it right.

lincoln.jpg

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/powdercoatingbrakes.htm

Has anyone used caliper covers on their LS? It would be quite a lot easier than powder coating it, plus I can't find a danged person in the Ames / Des Moines / Ankeny area who can do it (power-coating) :(

...this just seems like a really bad idea :shifty: ...

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to go ahead with the brake job (rotors, pads, SS lines, flush) and take my time with the caliper job (most likely late next March after winter).

Want to do it right once and for all - will get 'em powder coated black :)

lol. It would go nicely with the magnetic sun roof.

Members online

No members online now.
Back