Bob's LS Story

The VIN also brings up all of the options installed. There was never an LSC to be replaced by the LSE package! There is one report of one dealer putting LSC badges on some of the LSes that he sold, but it is not factory, it is not authorized, it is not real.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

hehe we are kinda derailing bobs thread.... I will post a new mystery solve thread when I have clean pics so everyone can chime in

Well good news. I got off work early and when I got home my owners manual and 2 new keys were delivered. Already received remotes, programmed them and they work correctly. Now I have three keys (one programmed) and two remotes. The bad news is the 10A fuse in the engine compartment for the a/c compressor clutch and coolant booster pump is good. That means the problem is likely more complicated. Still may just need a charge but I am out of R134.

Charging this variable displacement scroll system with TXV requires high and low side gauges and the pressure chart in the factory manual. First you need to check and see if the compressor oil has leaked out.
The PCM will not engage the AC clutch if the high side pressure is too low, if the high side pressure is too high, if the engine idle is too low, if the engine is overheating, if heavy acceleration is called for, or the compressor button on the climate control is off. It is also possible that your clutch is failed.
Adding one 12oz can of R-134a to a system under full vacuum is enough to raise the pressure to where the PCM will engage the clutch.

Thanks Joe. I am trying to feed it the last couple ounces from my existing can so I can get my deposit back. I hate giving back refrigerant. I will see if the new can gets it working then I will see if it leaks out quickly. If it holds I will have it evacuated and properly charged with oil/refrigerant. If not I will find the culprit and repair. It is Kind of on the back burner for now. I just want to get this car running safely and reliably so I can quit driving my F550 everywhere.

So on that note has anyone had success with the Dorman de gas bottle. The mood here is no but I live in San Diego where it never freezes. I would rather spend $100 and replace on them every 2-3 years (Gives me a good excuse to change the coolant) than spend $200+ and still have to replace on my dime every 5-10 years. Don't get me wrong, I buy the best parts I can get when I can. Factory water pumps and brake pads come to mind. These plastic cooling parts were not great to begin with so I have a hard time justifying the purchase price. Does anyone have a Dorman success story. Particularly from somewhere it doesn't freeze?

has anyone had success with the Dorman de gas bottle. The mood here is no

sounds like you already have your answer...

but its not the freezing that makes the Dorman bottle a piece of sh!t, its the fact that Dorman made a piece of sh!t for a bottle that doesn't last (or a lot of the time doesn't even work out of the box...)

but at the end of the day, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while... of course there have been a guy or two that did not immediately have problems with that bottle.

sorry, but I need to question your math...
I would rather spend $100 and replace on them every 2-3 years than spend $200+ and still have to replace on my dime every 5-10 years.

$100 every 2 years is $500 over a decade vs. just spending $200 and being good for the same decade...

and not having to deal with the car overheating again...

and risking other damage...

if you want to exchange your coolant, then just do that, why waste all that time swapping out the bottle if its not needed?

#JustSaying

yeah but then its costing me a couple hundred buck each time I replace it for the couple of hours it takes to do the job since I could be using that time to do things that make money instead...

adding maintenance to a car that already tends to have high maintenance is the last thing I want to do.

If it doesn't support CAN, then it isn't going to work at all.
Also, make sure your battery has a vent connection and it is connected to the external vent tube.
I wouldn't put that kind of stress on the torque converter either.

So Joe I have been searching the forums and cant find a definitive answer. My Innova 3100 (older original model) does not support CAN. I have two questions. 1. Are all year LS models CAN or just 2nd generation? 2. Which code reader do you use and would you recommend it?

Is the Motorcraft SP-468 the correct spark plug for these cars. Do I need more part number to be sure or is SP-468 all I need to know?

So Joe I have been searching the forums and cant find a definitive answer. My Innova 3100 (older original model) does not support CAN. I have two questions. 1. Are all year LS models CAN or just 2nd generation? 2. Which code reader do you use and would you recommend it?

2003-2006 are CAN-bus.

Well I got the Degas bottle out today. Once I get the new one in I was going to pressure wash my engine. It is covered in dust and dirt but very little oil except at the PCV valve and the oilfill pipe. Has anybody done this and are they going to tell me not to it causes problems or should I be OK as long as I try to avoid the major electrical components and their connections?

It is a V-8 I may be Miss identifying what ever is plugged into the end of the valve cover as a PCV valve

Well I went to Kragen to buy a degass bottle and I could already see stress fractures. It held pressure on the bench test but even so it made me not want to play so I am just now leaving forward with my $200 Ford product instead. Dorman cannot say I didn't give them a chance.

I hear what you are saying, and would really love more input, but my vague memory and the fact that it is FACTORY moulding for an LS makes methinks it IS super rare not non existant. What I believe my conversation in 2002 was is that the LSE 'replaced' the LSC.

technically the LSE (2002) did replace the LSC (1998)... but those are two totally different cars.

a Lincoln LSC is a "Lincoln Sport Coupe" the Last year Lincoln made an LSC was 1998, after that, all of their cars had four doors and therefore by definition, are not coupes. nothing about any of the LS that rolled off the assembly line is "super rare"...

just like the guy who swore he had the ultra Limited "SS" Edition LS, your car is lying to you. you have either a LS or a LSE.

So I made a little progress today. I installed my new degas bottle, filled the cooling system back up with the original coolant through a coffee filter, bled the air out of the system, charged the A/C with about 12oz of R134 and successfully pulled the codes with my new OBD2/CAN diagnostic tool. The only code is cylinder 1 misfire and it only counted 9 but that seems low. Also I believe an egr failure was reported. I am assuming I need to replace cylinder 1's coil (cop) and all 8 plugs. I will drive for a week and if my cooling system proves sound I will flush an refill with new Ford gold coolant. Tomorrow I plan to change the transmission oil and filter, repeat the air bleeding technique of the cooling system and change the coil if I have time.

I am assuming I need to replace cylinder 1's coil (cop) and all 8 plugs.

this would not be recommended...

A: rarely does a miss fire get bad enough for the PCM to detect it

B: by the time it does, its almost certain that there is another coil (or three) that is also starting to go marginal

C: good plugs are killed by bad coils, good coils as killed by bad plugs, always replace them as a pair and always replace all coils at the same time.

well I have a problem. I dropped my transmission pan to do a fluid and filter change and guess what? I have no access through the bell-housing to drain the torque converter. There is a rubber plug in front of the torque converter for the speed sensor tone ring on the fly wheel. Even if I could see the drain plug, pulling it would fill the bell-housing with oil and no way to drain the fluid. What am I missing. I am taking pictures an will upload when I figure out how. I don't want to put the pan back on until I figure this out. Please help.

My V6 didn't have a torque converter drain plug.Wish it did. I don't know about my V8.....I haven't messed with the great-shifting tranny on it. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back