Big Mike's Audio Overhaul Progress Thread!

So, today I got the HU I ordered from ebay. Painfully slow shipping, so the seller is refunding the cost of that. I haven't gotten anything down lately besides some small things, so at least I was capitalizing on down time by scoring a new deck. Finals for summer are almost over and my mom is out of the hospital so maybe I can start getting my sh*t together.

Not normally a Sony buyer, except when I was a kid and they were more reliable, but this wasn't a lowend deck. CDX-GT705DX, 6ch time correction, crossovers, 4 channel 13 band EQ, 120dB snr, 4v preouts, it was a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280708001296&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-v2Ze5uobiIt/p_158GT705DX/Sony-CDX-GT705DX.html

Not normally a Sony buyer, except when I was a kid and they were more reliable, but this wasn't a lowend deck. CDX-GT705DX, 6ch time correction, crossovers, 4 channel 13 band EQ, 120dB snr, 4v preouts, it was a good deal.
Single Din huh :confused:
I used to be a big time Sony HU guy back in early 90's. Had a copper plated case HU in my GN with 3 Ten Disc Sony changers hooked to it and it wrote the name of the CD in txt. People where amazed by that back then :lol:

I'm an Alpine HU guy now. Love the amount of crap it can do even tho it is a discontinued unit now.

I actually shopped alpine, found several acceptable models from various years , lost them all, and went searching for alternatives. For the price you can't beat the one I picked up. I didn't do double din because I don't care about movies or touch, I wanted the sound features I needed for the lowest cost. I have a older 1 din dvd/screen that needs a new remote, I may try to put em both in there when I pick up the new remote and everything else is done, idk. I actually like the pocket under the single din, it's useful for my phone and remote. If this car get to the point where it looks great and needs no real work done, then I'll start buying the more expensive toys. Whatever I get, it will have either imprint, mini-dsp, a bit one, a 360.2, or an ms-8 attached to it. I paid for this Sony unit with selling the older HU's I had; Pioneer DEH-2700 and 9200r.

They only reason I'm building a system before I'm done fixing wear and tear on the car is because the JBL stock stuff was not working and I had no tunes. My whole priority system on this project is to make it reliable (it is for now), and then mod what needs to be fixed instead of making it stock. My theory is to start with whatever annoys me most. I have gone without for half a year now waiting for some decent and interesting stuff to be in my price range and now I get to put it together finally!

I went out to finish my low-buck sound damping in the doors, worked for an hour with no shade in direct sunlight. I was sweating like a hooker in church and then it started raining. It was still bright outside. Florida pisses me off. I've been here for 20 years and I still can't see what some folks love so much.

I was sweating like a hooker in church and then it started raining. It was still bright outside. Florida pisses me off. I've been here for 20 years and I still can't see what some folks love so much.
Yeah I lived in Fla. for the summer for years until I got my DL then I couldn't go down cause I had jobs that I needed to feed my car addiction. Grandparents had a nice place by one of Hulk Hogans early houses on an island. Nice having a house on the Bay and being able to go sailing every day.

Anyway I was in the Stereo install industry way back in 1990 in North Brunswick NJ. I put a decent Pioneer CD player in my Challenger and it would skip bad when I shifted the Manual Valve Body 727. So I switched to the higher end Sony stuff as I thought Alpine was just way to over priced :mad:

Went thru a few years out of the stereo industry with my mortocycle death and then rehab BS. Hit my fiend up that now manages a place that makes stereo show vehicles and he cut me cost prices on Alpines and I haven't gone back. Just HU's tho as I still have the factory speakers and JBL amp crossed over for mids and up. Then I took my JL 13W7 and 1000/1 amp out of my WRX for the low end just cause I had it.

For such a miss mosh of stuff it hit 132.5DB SPL at a show just cause I wanted to see what it would do for a cheap system. However I love the Double Din so it's easy to see what song is playing or when I use the GPS it's like it came that way factory :D

Oh yeah I did buy this HU from Crutchfield for $380 I think cause my friends shop couldn't hook me up at the time. So I got a last years model for cheap.

132.5 with only 1000 watts is nothing to thumb your nose at. As long as I'm in the 120's I'll have more than I need, but I don't think that's gonna be a problem.

132.5 with only 1000 watts is nothing to thumb your nose at. As long as I'm in the 120's I'll have more than I need, but I don't think that's gonna be a problem.

Well with my speaker and amp they have done 140DB but I am using a sealed box. That and I haven't taken any of the sound deadening out of the trunk either.

If I get to the point that I want more I will either put a 2500 watt amp in, or another 13W7. However I will have to build a box IN the trunk if I do that cause it was a 2 person deal to put this one in. That or I'll build a raised floor and put my 27" Ramsdel in it just for shock value :eek2:

Well with my speaker and amp they have done 140DB but I am using a sealed box. That and I haven't taken any of the sound deadening out of the trunk either.

If I get to the point that I want more I will either put a 2500 watt amp in, or another 13W7. However I will have to build a box IN the trunk if I do that cause it was a 2 person deal to put this one in. That or I'll build a raised floor and put my 27" Ramsdel in it just for shock value :eek2:
Ports worth 3db and getting the sub in the cabin is worth another 3db so you did just fine.

I cant seem to get a good reading with the Droid SPL apps. Guess the Droid can only handle 128db couse it can read in 100ths but it stops at 128.00 even when I can hear the bass transition get louder.

Ports worth 3db and getting the sub in the cabin is worth another 3db so you did just fine.

I cant seem to get a good reading with the Droid SPL apps. Guess the Droid can only handle 128db couse it can read in 100ths but it stops at 128.00 even when I can hear the bass transition get louder.

What ever app I got wont go over 100 but it was a freebie so that may be how they get ya to pay?

Got my HU in between thunderstorms and laundry today:

All ready for solder.
GEDC0553.jpg

Soldered and heatshrink getting ready.
GEDC0554.jpg

Only had a large size of shrin left but it still worked fine.
GEDC0557.jpg

All put together.
GEDC0558.jpg

CDX-GT705DX ready to go in.
GEDC0550.jpg

Signal and remote ready.
GEDC0562.jpg

Ready to try it out.
GEDC0560.jpg

Works!
GEDC0564.jpg

GEDC0565.jpg

GEDC0566.jpg

It's dirty and disasembled, but still lookin' good!
GEDC0568.jpg

I was waiting for that. Alot of stuff needs attention, look at the fuel gauge! I've been pretty much having it sit and collect dust and driving the Maxima.

I want to get a nicer mounting kit soon, on a side note. That one came with the car and has seen better days.

Members online

No members online now.
Back