Best oil for the ls!

Interesting, I have always heard Valvoline was crap.

Given the synthetic oil is such a reasonable price, I just don't see not using full synthetic in any engine. The engines that have regular oil changes with only synthetic, still look pretty much new inside, even after 200K+ miles.

use walmart supertech 5w30 synthetic. change every 7500 to 10k mi and forget about it.

if you want something special use an acea a3 oil like castrol 0w40

I refuse to buy anything Wal-mart branded, off branded... and even some of the name branded auto related stuff that Wal-mart sells. And definitely won't buy any of the "universal" fluids they sell.

I've mentioned this before... but will repeat it.

Years ago I had a friend that worked/still works for Honeywell corporation... which is the parent company of Fram filters.

I was told (on good authority), that Wal-mart Fram oil filters are built to a different specification.

Now it should be obvious that Wal-mart is going to pay as little as possible for a product... for the sake of profit.

So Fram made a design change on their filters... per Wal-marts request... which was most likley in order to increase Wal-marts profit margin.

If Fram did it... I'm sure that other companies that make auto related fluids and maintenance products... did the same thing.

I believe that currently the supertech oil is supposed to be very good and has been well tested. I avoid it only because I don't know if that might suddenly change without notice. That said, I have heard good things about it.
The Castrol Edge A3/B4 advanced oil is just about the only oil I use now, and has been for several years. I get very good oil analysis test reports using it. (Yes, I know that it is overkill.)

Nothing wrong with doing oil analysis. I lnow of several companies that have "fleet" equipment... that have oil analysis done on a regular basis.

One advantage to it is finding potential mechanical issues... before something serious goes wrong.

I refuse to buy anything Wal-mart branded, off branded... and even some of the name branded auto related stuff that Wal-mart sells. And definitely won't buy any of the "universal" fluids they sell.

I've mentioned this before... but will repeat it.

Years ago I had a friend that worked/still works for Honeywell corporation... which is the parent company of Fram filters.

I was told (on good authority), that Wal-mart Fram oil filters are built to a different specification.

Now it should be obvious that Wal-mart is going to pay as little as possible for a product... for the sake of profit.

So Fram made a design change on their filters... per Wal-marts request... which was most likley in order to increase Wal-marts profit margin.

If Fram did it... I'm sure that other companies that make auto related fluids and maintenance products... did the same thing.
I heard like 10 or more years ago that Fram are garbage now, used to be the best but they stopped improving when they were in top so others have surpassed them. I buy motorcraft filters for this car and my super duty

I heard like 10 or more years ago that Fram are garbage now, used to be the best but they stopped improving when they were in top so others have surpassed them. I buy motorcraft filters for this car and my super duty
the fram ultra is the best filter on the market

they don’t make it for these engines though

I keep a stock of Fram TG2 filters in the cabinet. The only difference I have noticed with them... is that a few years back they stopped using a silicone gasket... and went back to rubber... like the PH2 has.

I believe the Ultra is still using the silicone gasket.

I used Penzoil platinum full synthetic since I can get it for 34$ for 5 Liters, also its made from natural gas so its still a petroleum based oil? is this type real syn

I used Penzoil platinum full synthetic since I can get it for 34$ for 5 Liters, also its made from natural gas so its still a petroleum based oil? is this type real syn
Legally, it can be and is called full synthetic. I don't see any problem with using natural gas as the starting point.

I've used Pennzoil for 21 years om my 2002 LSE with180000 km..............done nothing to the engine

I've used Pennzoil for 21 years om my 2002 LSE with180000 km..............done nothing to the engine
At 110K miles, mine were barely broken in. Report back when you hit 400Km

Legally, it can be and is called full synthetic. I don't see any problem with using natural gas as the starting point.
mobil 1 uses it as well. their 0W40 is about 30% pao (“real” synthetic) and the rest GTL

Last edited:
Sorry SG... the Motorcraft "synthetic blend" is junk.

Many years ago... my ex bought an Escape with 30k miles, (shortly after becoming my ex). She always took it to the dealer for oil changes.

At around 100k... her oil pan gasket started leaking.

Well... when I pulled the pan... the pan, windage tray, bearing caps... and oil pump pickup screen were covered with a crusty sludge.

I pulled the pump and windage tray... and spent a couple hours scraping and cleaning everything off. The pan was the worst. I then reassembled everything and installed the pan with the new gasket.

It is my understanding that Valvoline manufactures the Motorcraft "Synthetic Blend" oil.

It is also my understanding that Valvoline uses paraffin, (a type of wax), in their regular (non-synthetic) oils.

What happens to wax when exposed to heat? It melts and "cooks off". Thus the sludge in the ex's Escape.

The ex now uses Pennzoil conventional oil (no paraffin), and Fram filter in her Escape... and hasn't been to the local dealer since.

Mario,

I've been using Mobile 1 full synthetic products for decades. Both oil and trans fluid... in various vehicles. However... I do buy the Motorcraft Mercron V trans fluid for my LS... because it is fully synthetic.

My (new in 1995) F-150 trans fluid was changed out at 50k miles, (originally "Type F"), and has been running on Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid since then... with 225k miles.

First thing I did when I bought my LS with 74k miles... is change out the oil to Mobil 1.

The LS now has 233k miles on it with no mechanical engine problems. (hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I had a bad experience with Amzoil at one point... and will not buy there products any more.

So in my experience Mobil 1 is a good product..
and considerably less expensive than some of the other synthetic oils mentioned in this thread.
So I’m at 130,000 on my LS V8.. So should I start using Mobil 1 or stick with motorcraft synthetic?

Members online

No members online now.
Back