Best Brand Tire?

The WiseGuy

FUHGETABOUTIT
Reaction score
I took my conti in today to get my tierods fixed, and discovered bubbles in my tires. I have to get them replaced so I was wondering what you guys thought was the best tire for contis based on durability and performance?

Personally, I think the best tires in the market are Michelins, but they come at a price. They are very quiet, provide a smooth ride and have a very long durability.

your gonna get as many opinions as readers...

most brands have high performance tires, as well as tires that are quiet, and tires that ride smother than others... there are so many different things to look at.

I would weigh the main things you want the tire to do (durability, traction, smooth ride, low road noise), then look at what the different brands offer that meets your criteria. Then look at price (unless price is the primary concern, then factor it in with the previous items as well). Choose from what is left. All the major brands are probably going to have something that fits your needs, and will be fairly comperably priced.

I got Generals on mine P205/70R15's

There Ameristar G45's All Weather Tires. They ride real nice and they won't break ya.

i got michelin all weathers.. real expensive.. like 250 for 2. There real nice, Great traction and ride.. i need to get 2 more for the back

Check out sites like tirerack.com and see what they offer. For each tire the have a chart that gives survey ratings (from buyers) in various categories, such as traction, noise comfort, ride comfort and treadwear.

I personally have the Michelin Hyrdoedges on my Continental, they are a little agressive looking from the side, but are VERY quiet, have amazing traction and great treadwear. These tires are expensive though $117 at tire rack or about $165 local.

I would recommend maybe a MXV4.

I currently have the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance tires on my 1997 continental. Best tires I have ever owned. Consumer reports also rated them as the best.

JLewisinSyr said:
I personally have the Michelin Hyrdoedges on my Continental,.
wow thats what I got on all of my three cars but they can be costly. But the last a very long time.

mark0101 said:
wow thats what I got on all of my three cars but they can be costly. But the last a very long time.

I have had Michelins on every car I've owned. They are expensive, but the reliability and overall driveability has justified the expense. The hydroedges are kind of aggresive though, and maybe too aggressive for some for the Conti.

JLewisinSyr said:
I would recommend maybe a MXV4.

It depends where You live. In our country roads are awful, it is alowed to use studded tires in wintertime, The studs eat the hard surfaced roads and in spring it feels like riding on gravel. I have Michelin MXV4's on my '98 and they are scary. On new asphalt there is no road noise at all but 95% there are rimose roads and road noise is so loud at 35 mph that I have to scream to reach my passenger. The swash drives me crazy I thinks there is a problem with tires, beacuse on smooth road there is no problem at all even at 90 mph. My dash and door plastics are clinking. when driving over small bumps there is a loud banging noise in the cabin. Chasis has been inspected and everithing is in mint condition, car has only 37 Kmiles.
I don't know, how much Conti's are isolated but I don't have same problem with any BMW's (500, 700) or Acura RL, they all have some old Nokian tires.

What are the most quiet tires for Continental what can You suggest to make a ride silent?

jez said:
I have Michelin MXV4's on my '98 and they are scary. On new asphalt there is no road noise at all but 95% there are rimose roads and road noise is so loud at 35 mph that I have to scream to reach my passenger. The swash drives me crazy I thinks there is a problem with tires, beacuse on smooth road there is no problem at all even at 90 mph. My dash and door plastics are clinking. when driving over small bumps there is a loud banging noise in the cabin. Chasis has been inspected and everithing is in mint condition, car has only 37 Kmiles.

If you're getting a lot of vibrations and banging, it's not from the tires, unless they are overinflated. Something is loose or you have bad bushings somewhere.

As anyone who has balanced allot of tires will tell you, Michelin is by far the best....if you have the jack. I know no other tire that you can put on a computer balancer and hardly take any weight to balance it. I've had a bunch that didn't need a weight at all!....and most needed little like 1/4 ounce or so.

What this means is Michelin must have a real strong quality control system, because it is VERY rare to hear of a Michelin blowing out.

Maybe MXV4 acts good on wet and dry surfaces, I don't know.

But the road noise is frightful. As I said, maybe it is not a tire problem, there might be a peoblem with Continental's structure- MacPherson strut tends to transmit noise and vibration from the road directly into the body shell, giving higher noise levels and a "harsh" feeling to the ride.

Are You guys satisfied with Your Continental's noise level?

I just bought Yokahoma A4. They look to be a good tire for all season, if thats what u r looking for in a tire. But if u want a tire just for the summer then go with either michelin or goodyear.

Members online

No members online now.
Back