Bad miss

I'm leaning towards a bad vac leak, but cant find it. Tried to find with carb cleaner.

Did you check the t-vac line?

102_0685.jpg

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=716347&postcount=35

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=67948&highlight=vacuum+leak

If my two front O2 sensors were bad, would the car think it was lean? I am getting that good old rotten egg smell, but no O2 codes (this time). They need replaced anyway, but I just curious.

Can O2 sensors cause a miss??? I didn't think so but?????

It's the t line, it hooks up to the intake, then runs to the pcv, yes it on the drivers side.

I don't think its running lean, I think the codes means too much ox read by the o2 sensor.
Rotten egg smell leads one to think it isn't burning all the fuel, its getting into the cat.
It wont hurt to change the 02's, I am sure your getting sick of throwing parts at this thing.
On my 93 I had a bad miss.. rotten egg smell, changed the 02's ...no help.
It was a bad spark plug wire.
I am thinking vac leak or ext leak before 02 sensor.

egr tube?
In your parts list, you said you changed the egr.

Last edited:
Technically too much oxygen being read by the O2 IS a lean condition! :lol:

Anywho, to get both to read lean at the same time would indicate the car is actually running lean. Many things can cause this but the most common are a bad/dirty MAF meter and/of leaks in the intake.

Just check the obvious things first. Intake tube after MAF have any tears in it? The crank case breather hose leaking? Check the PCV grommets. Check all vac lines.

If all that is good then chances are the lower intake gasket it leaking. Its really not a big deal just have to remove a lot of crap in the way. Since you have it apart you should go ahead and get the plenum to IMRC and the IMRC to head gaskets. Also (and this is just me finding its worth the effort) replace the orings that attach the upper plenum to the lower and a new t-body gasket.

Also the FelPros are just fine. They are 1/3 the cost of OEM and in my experience they work better.

dont undeestimate the crank sensor

i had a simillar problem a few months ago after i had already replaced the crank sensor , i noticed a bit of oil around the sensor an cleaned it the proble went away it turns out the borg-warner sensor leaked oil internally . so i got a new sensor from ford and have had no more problems . it is not b.s. to say use only ford sensors. also change the cam sensor at the same time they are probably the same age and it may strand you, ask me how i know.

Technically too much oxygen being read by the O2 IS a lean condition! :lol:

Listen here smarty boots.
You know what I'm saying.
Its making the cats stink and giving a gas smell as it pukes out fuel it cant mix.
But what the hell .....tear off the intake before you take the time to look for other vac leaks.
Its a easy job :shifty:

Listen here smarty boots.
You know what I'm saying.
Its making the cats stink and giving a gas smell as it pukes out fuel it cant mix.
But what the hell .....tear off the intake before you take the time to look for other vac leaks.
Its a easy job :shifty:
You must have decided to not read the rest of my post. Douche. :p

JK :D

But still.

I'm going way back to my automotive diag classes here, but.....

Technically Bill, the oxygen sensors don't "read" oxygen levels. It reads the temperature of the exahust, and sends the information back to the computer as a voltage signal based on internal resistance.

Really it's a fancy overpriced thermocouple.

Technically Bill, the oxygen sensors don't "read" oxygen levels. It reads the temperature of the exahust, and sends the information back to the computer as a voltage signal based on internal resistance.

Like I always say, nice to learn something new.

See when writing a tune on my car I have a taRget A/F ratio in my fuel table that is in lambda. Its part of the computers learning code to adjust to whatever I set it at based on load. That function uses data aquired from the front O2 sensors and I just assumed it was based on actuall air count and not temperature change. I always thought the heat in heated O2 sensors was so they could sample the air better. Didn't reaLize their opperation was similar to a MAF.

Stupi question then, does my wideband function the same way?

Afaik, it would just be an even fancier, more over priced thermocouple. (has a greater range).

The heater is there to get the sensor up to temp quicker.

I'm going off a gut feeling here, but it doesn't seem like exhaust gas temp directly correlates to oxygen levels...

Ah, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor#Zirconia_sensor

Hrm, this is perplexing.

"In Bosch Premium Thimble Type Oxygen Sensors, the zirconium ceramic thimble projects into the exhaust system. The oxygen sensor's ceramic element becomes electrically conductive at high temperature. Then the O2 sensor element sends voltage signals back to your vehicle's engine management system to regulate the fuel to air ratio, for optimum efficiency."

That part about becoming electrically conductive sounds like a description of how a thermocouple works.

You may even be right medium, god knows that I've had some lamebrain ideas before.

Last edited:
Argh.

I was wondering how thermal change could equate to fuel ratio. I understand rich runs cooler then lean but there are too many other variables that will change the exhaust gas temoerature by a large margin for thermal to give an accurate fuel reading.

Damn yous Mike!!!!!

*smacks Mikes hand with a ruler*

JK :D

Hummm....

The voltage produced by the sensor is nonlinear with respect to oxygen concentration. The sensor is most sensitive near the stoichiometric point and less sensitive when either very lean or very rich.

Members online

No members online now.
Back