Attempted Theft

hard2say

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I was out smoking a cigarette on break here at work, and noticed this on my driver door (assuming this happened over the weekend at my house):

IMG_20111114_092901.jpg

They jacked the metal up pretty good, I'm just thankful they didn't get away with the LSE.

Are these cars easy for dirt-bags to steal? Are there safety mechanisms in place as far as the ignition is concerned?

Looks like I'm going to have to get the garage cleaned out ASAP.

Thanks,

Apparently, it wasn't too easy.
Yes, PATS will keep them from hot-wiring the car. The perimeter alarm should sound if they do break the door open.

Apparently, it wasn't too easy.
Yes, PATS will keep them from hot-wiring the car. The perimeter alarm should sound if they do break the door open.

Thanks for your reply Joe... Makes me feel a bit better...

With the right equipment pats can be bypassed.

Luckily the equipment costs around 10k. Gm vehicle owners are not so lucky on the other hand.

Bear in mind, you don't get the benefit of the alarm going off if you don't lock your car the proper way to arm it. I had locked my 06, thinking I had armed the alarm but in reality I hadn't. Someone was in and out of my car in about 30 minutes by busting the driver door window, and taking my touch-screen nav and a few other items I had in the car. When all was said and done - $7400 worth of damages.

Lesson here is that if you are keeping your car outside AND are not using an aftermarket security system - make SURE you are arming your alarm when locking the car.

Damn Tru. That's allot of damage! I had my laptop stolen from my 00. Thankfully the jerk that did it tried to pawn it. So I got it back but had to pay $350.

There's no window alarm per se, but if the alarm is activated and you then try to unlock the car and open the door from the inside (i.e. reaching in through the broken window to do it) the alarm will still go off. If the alarm is not armed (in my case), then the sleazeball can just reach in through the broken window and unlock the car/open the door from the inside.

I had to break into my car when I locked my keys in it at the airport, and i had no money.

Im telling you right now... the handle does squat in opening the door. I had to cut along the side ( i happened to have a contractors toolbag with me ) and peel the metal open, to jimmy the door locking mech ( opening it as if you opened it from the inside - thus no alarm )

MIND YOU

it took 20min, alot of noise and alot of looks.

I used a sawzall, hammer drill, pry bar, sheers, pilers, hammer & chisel. I knocked the door handle off completly, nothing usefull is behind it, in relation to opening the door.

vehicles are theft proof enough for many many areas.

Opening from inside does indeed set the alarm off.

Yes, so long as the car was locked by (a) the remote, (b) the electric lock switch on the inside of the door, or (c) the keypad outside the driver's door.

With the right equipment pats can be bypassed.

Luckily the equipment costs around 10k. Gm vehicle owners are not so lucky on the other hand.

Actually, my $400 scan tool will do it, but there is a fixed ten minute delay that you have to wait through. Most thieves probably don't want to hang around that long.

I had to break into my car when I locked my keys in it at the airport, and i had no money.

Im telling you right now... the handle does squat in opening the door. I had to cut along the side ( i happened to have a contractors toolbag with me ) and peel the metal open, to jimmy the door locking mech ( opening it as if you opened it from the inside - thus no alarm )

MIND YOU

it took 20min, alot of noise and alot of looks.

I used a sawzall, hammer drill, pry bar, sheers, pilers, hammer & chisel. I knocked the door handle off completly, nothing usefull is behind it, in relation to opening the door.

vehicles are theft proof enough for many many areas.

I know u said u have no money...but how do u plan on fixing the body and the door handle... if u couldnt afford to have someone come out and professionally break into it causing no dmg. and costing like under a hundred...and most are willing to take a deferred payment (considering half the time wallet is locked inside the car with the keys)

This is why I don't keep loose change or anything of value within eye-shot of the windows. I stuff it in the center console or glovebox or trunk. If there doesn't look like anything worth stealing, they move on.

That sucks. I know of three LVC members in the St Louis area that have had that happen to them. F@#king dirtbags.:mad: Karma is a b!+ch. The person will gets whats coming to them sooner or later.

anti-theft override

The perimeter alarm will NOT help you if the guy was able to finish what he intended to do. He intended to pop the door handle, which will easily allow him to move the rod that's connected to the key cylinder. If he lifts the rod up then it would be as if the key was turned to unlock the door and turn off the alarm(and if he holds it up all the windows will lower). The door handle is plastic and a thief can easily break off the mount, plus the key cylinder is not mounted to the door(like it should be), but to the door handle so that when the door handle is broken away, it can easily be moved to unlock position.

You can easily add shock sensors to both sides (very cheaply)that will work with the factory alarm.

I know u said u have no money...but how do u plan on fixing the body and the door handle... if u couldnt afford to have someone come out and professionally break into it causing no dmg. and costing like under a hundred...and most are willing to take a deferred payment (considering half the time wallet is locked inside the car with the keys)

I already had a spare door from the scrapper sitting in my garage, same exact door, driver side, black everything lol. Cutting it didn't cost me anything furthur than which was already paid.

So it was fine, however I had no cash and no wallet on me.

I posted up the door for the regulator, door control unit, glass, trim, few weeks prior and no one wanted it, so I might as well of used it.

Opening from inside does indeed set the alarm off.

No, I meant opening it as if you pulled the interior door lever with the doors all locked.

Its a bicycle brake wire, which is pulled by the silver locking mech when you pull the lever. Its accessible from the outside of the door, which fools the system into thinking someone is trying to open it from the inside.

No, I meant opening it as if you pulled the interior door lever with the doors all locked.

Its a bicycle brake wire, which is pulled by the silver locking mech when you pull the lever. Its accessible from the outside of the door, which fools the system into thinking someone is trying to open it from the inside.
but even if you open the door from the inside, it will set off the alarm, the inside door handles will not disarm the alarm, the alarm will only disarm from the keypad, fob, drivers door lock cylinder, or turning the key in the ignition.

what other way is there to open the door from the inside?

Actually, my $400 scan tool will do it, but there is a fixed ten minute delay that you have to wait through. Most thieves probably don't want to hang around that long.

Yep, the :q:q:q:q-bag parts guys that don't check registration when someone comes in to get a key cut.

Cover up your VIN # so its not visible from outside the vehicle so they can't get a key cut for your car.

As soon as I got home last night, I cleaned out my garage and made room for the LSE. Better safe than sorry.

Cover up your VIN # so its not visible from outside the vehicle so they can't get a key cut for your car.

except for it is illegal in most places to have your VIN covered up, i have been with people who have gotten a ticket because a parking pass had slipped down too far.

also even if they could get a key cut, it would still have to be programmed to the car for them to take it.

why even worry about stuff like this, that is what insurance is for.

Members online

No members online now.
Back