Anyone ever taken the throttle body off and clean it?

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine did this to his truck and got rid of a bad idle etc... never considered doing this. I imagine there is a gasket that might cost 5$ at orielly and a 3$ bottle of throttle body cleaner. Might be fun. :)

Plus I've heard of people soaking their intake tubes in hot soapy water to get the crap out of them. Not so keen on doing that but thought I'd share it.

When you take it off you can read the yellow sticker on the side of it that says NOT to clean it. :p

When you take it off you can read the yellow sticker on the side of it that says NOT to clean it. :p

Ok, but joking aside. I'm not going to hurt it by cleaning it with some throttle body cleaner right? (also heard seafoam would work).

Also, wanted to ask. I'm wanting to replace my rear hubs. If I'm keeping the mark viii hubs all I need are the bearings right?

Was going to follow this walk-through.

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/rear_hub.htm

edit: also.. I took the strut rod sleeves off a junk yard mark. Do I just cut off the front of the sleeve where it's was bent to take the gasket off or leave it and let the nut re-tighten against it.

Ok, but joking aside. I'm not going to hurt it by cleaning it with some throttle body cleaner right? (also heard seafoam would work).

yes! you will hurt it (so they say).leave it alone,He wasnt joking

Seafoam likely won't hurt anything, but I would steer clear of throttle body cleaners. You likely only need to clean the IAC passages anyways.

Throttle Body

WARNING:
DO NOT SMOKE OR CARRY LIGHTED TOBACCO OR OPEN FLAME OF ANY TYPE WHEN WORKING ON OR NEAR ANY FUEL-RELATED COMPONENT. HIGHLY FLAMMABLE MIXTURES ARE ALWAYS PRESENT AND MAY BE IGNITED, RESULTING IN POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

The throttle body (9E926) for this vehicle is a sludge-resistant design with a coating on the bore and plate. Sludge accumulation will not affect the throttle body airflow. Any attempt to clean the bore and plate area will impair the effectiveness of the coating. Do not clean the bore and plate area of the throttle body.

You'll need a press to replace the rear bearings.

WTF? Are you reading impared? Driller pointed out the sticker that says do not clean.

That means dont fuggin use ANY chemicals to clean the damn thing. Besides your car is just fugged up and you need to get rid of it. I have been reading your posts over the last couple years and its apparent you have very little idea of how to properly fix ANYTHING on your car and only make it worse or throw money at various things hoping one will fix the other.

You seriously need to get rid of that car and get something that does not require you touching anything under the hood other then the oil fill cap.

Cleaning your throttle body is not gonna fix your AC problem, your trans problem, your bushing problem or your vac leaks.

WTF? Are you reading impared? Driller pointed out the sticker that says do not clean.

That means dont fuggin use ANY chemicals to clean the damn thing. Besides your car is just fugged up and you need to get rid of it. I have been reading your posts over the last couple years and its apparent you have very little idea of how to properly fix ANYTHING on your car and only make it worse or throw money at various things hoping one will fix the other.

You seriously need to get rid of that car and get something that does not require you touching anything under the hood other then the oil fill cap.

Cleaning your throttle body is not gonna fix your AC problem, your trans problem, your bushing problem or your vac leaks.

Thanks bud. After reading several posts about it and seeing different comments about the 'special coating' and what would be the benefit vs. problem in doing this I decided to not do it.

Didn't say I had a problem with idling or anything did I?

I admit I've had a lot of problems with this car but considering my last problem was from the manufacturer selling me a wire that had it's polarity reversed I don't think I was to blame for the oversight in not checking of a 6 inch wire was manufactured correctly by Ford.

I also admit I ask a lot of stupid questions but then again are they really that stupid? Look up yourself the comments on "cleaning a throttle body". Some say it's fine others say it's not. But all of them say you are taking a risk in doing it. So, you could say I was getting a 'consensus' of what people with Mark VIII's had done and the results of having done that.

I don't see how I always make you so mad. If you don't like my posts don't post in them. I'm not trying to hurt anyone and it's not like I don't know how to do searches. The search on this site is horrible. Absolutely Horrible. Nearly useless. Even if you do a boolean search it returns miss-matched data. And I do use it. But more often I use google + lincolnvscadillac + search item.

So in response to this post please don't insult me. I haven't insulted you in any way, nor inconvenienced you in any way.

OH and thanks driller. One of the nicest guys I've seen on the 3 mark viii forums I've gone through over the last 6 years.

Seafoam likely won't hurt anything, but I would steer clear of throttle body cleaners. You likely only need to clean the IAC passages anyways.
what are the IAC passages?
You'll need a press to replace the rear bearings.

Got that. Thanks.

Here's something Interesting I just came across.

With the engine warm but stopped, I pull the intake tube at the throttle body and pour in the full can into the intake and reinstall the tube. Start it up, wail on it to open the IMRCs, stop, let it soak for a while. Repeat this IMRC soak a couple times. Then drive the Hell out of it. Takes a while for the smoke to completely clear, but clean secondaries are what you're after.

He's talking about seafoam.
anyone ever done that? :eek:

My point was all of your posts have been due to various problems with that car. That car has non stop issues and most of them you have fixed or tried to fix by using the shotgun method. Use buck shot and hope one of the parts replaced fixes it.

Why do you feel the need to remove the throttle body and clean it? You must have some current running issue you cant figure out and are trying for anything to fix it. I never said you had idle issues.

I may not be a nice guy but I aint gonna sugar coat anything after its apparent you have an issue riddled car and dont have the skill or money to properly fix it.

I havent "gone after" you before or yelled at you in any of your threads. I have only offered advice before today. Tommy has warned me about you over a year ago but I still just tried to help and offer options along the way.

I am sure you are a nice guy but a car like a Mark may be a bit much for you.

Fwiw, I cleaned the tb w/ tb cleaner years ago cause it was disgusting looking. Nothing bad happened and i'm glad I did it.

My car didn't explode, catch fire or release any of those goblins that they keep under the coating by me cleaning it.

what are the IAC passages?

On the passenger side of the throttle body and intake is a "D" shaped passage where air is short circuited to the intake plenum via the IACV from above the throttle blades. You may find sludge buildup there.

The topside of the throttle body should be relatively clean. You will probably see carbon sludge and gunk on the bottom side. You can clean that with some seafoam and a cloth - NOT a wire brush or such. Still - I would stay away from throttle body cleaners any any harsh treatment, "chemical" or "mechanical".

Once the factory "coating" is gone, you will likely find you need to clean the throttle body on a regular basis. That is why you are not supposed to clean it.

My point was all of your posts have been due to various problems with that car. That car has non stop issues and most of them you have fixed or tried to fix by using the shotgun method. Use buck shot and hope one of the parts replaced fixes it.

Why do you feel the need to remove the throttle body and clean it? You must have some current running issue you cant figure out and are trying for anything to fix it. I never said you had idle issues.

I may not be a nice guy but I aint gonna sugar coat anything after its apparent you have an issue riddled car and dont have the skill or money to properly fix it.

I havent "gone after" you before or yelled at you in any of your threads. I have only offered advice before today. Tommy has warned me about you over a year ago but I still just tried to help and offer options along the way.

I am sure you are a nice guy but a car like a Mark may be a bit much for you.

Sorry I'm a bit doubtful of things. I do sometimes take shot-gun fixed on my mark but it's because It's my daily. Take for instance the strut (bushings): replacing them myself wasn't an issue. Finding out that not having the original sleeves will cause an eventual fail was a surprise. So in the sense I fix things without doing the correct amount of research could be problematic for a mark owner I'd agree with you.

I like tommy. Lost his new number when I got a new phone and he's gone from here I think. Hope he's doing ok. Last I talked to him I was battling an overheating issue in which I was told (not acusing anyone) by several people that it was most likely not the water pump. So I replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator, replaced the burp valve/and pipe (couldn't get my valve open). After all this it turned out to be the freaking water pump. Hell I nearly got rid of the car figuring the head gaskets were blown (which is what tommy was led to believe.)

I also don't think Tommy would say anything that wasn't true about me so most likely he said something true about my personality and pointed out it would annoy the :q:q:q:q out of you. :D

As far as 'going after me' I was speaking of another thread you berated me for not doing a search. :D Nothing personal as I led you to believe.

And no: I don't have the money to fix everything on my car I'd like to fix. Not by a long shot. Nor do I always have the time.

i cleaned out my throttle body because it was horrible. i took the TB out of the car and i cleaned it with a tooth brush. replaced the TB gasket and put on the TB. also might be a good idea to change the TPS while there. its mounted to the back of the TB

Could I take off my tbody and clean it in the dishwasher.

Members online

No members online now.
Back