anyone ever get tired of just being "as fast" as the typical new family sedan?

v8only

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Since I've bought my mark viii, this has been bugging me. Now, I realize I've got an "old" vehicle by today's standards, but christ, 290 HP I'd think should be good enough, lol. I've pulled against many modern "sedans" from a mid 90's accord to a new 4 door hyundai, and in every case, i've either been just a hair quicker, a hair slower, or a LOT slower....

Man, it's so annoying that I'm about ready to scrap my exhaust mods and 4.10 gear swap (I've got it all ready to go on)...

Anyone else get pissed off every time some modern pos shows you up??

chip/tune, exhaust and gears. then see how much "faster" those other cars are.
tune is a big deal on 2nd gens.

No problems here. But I do hear you. What the new civic got 260hp. The one main thing is what you pay for your car and what are they paying for theirs? 22K
and more? My car is paid for.

No problems here. But I do hear you. What the new civic got 260hp. The one main thing is what you pay for your car and what are they paying for theirs? 22K

Yup, they are paying $400+ a month on car note not including insurance...Those of us that paid off our Marks can use that to save up for mods...all these modern cars are just confusing us and blinding us from how wonderful our Marks really are

x2
for what they are paying YOU could build a focking deamon

I do not know about you but i payed $400 for my daily driver 98k on the clock and now have about $3k in it with 129k on the clock.

nav, dvd, leather, moonroof, 18 inch chrome wheels, zr rated tires, custom sports suspension, pw,pl,tilt,cruise,300 hp, and extremely modable up to 650+ hp.

find that combination on any 2 year old car for less than $20k and I will personally blow you.

x2
for what they are paying YOU could build a focking deamon

I do not know about you but i payed $400 for my daily driver 98k on the clock and now have about $3k in it with 129k on the clock.

nav, dvd, leather, moonroof, 18 inch chrome wheels, zr rated tires, custom sports suspension, pw,pl,tilt,cruise,300 hp, and extremely modable up to 650+ hp.

find that combination on any 2 year old car for less than $20k and I will personally blow you.

I paid 439 dollars for mine with 104K in 2006. Thats 1 payment for the other guy.

Our problem is the weight... HP to weight ratio... These damn cars are so much lighter or smaller w/that much more HP. a 260hp Civic will spank us all day long because they don't weigh anything!

What will that car do in the 1/4? Even the hyundai genisis V6 has 314HP and curb weight of 3300.

That does not state what engine could have the 201 hp? I thought I saw commercial that it could be got with 260HP? I can't find that anywhere.

genesis really has 314 hp?? Jesus, no wonder I couldn't pull on him. I really don't street race anymore, as that's why I built my 66 mustang, (for the 1/4 mile track) but a little fwy onramp fun at times takes the stress out :)
You're all right about what I paid vs what they paid...guess I should stfu and put my gears and exhaust on...... and hit up blueovalchips for my sct tune

What I do love is that no one ever knows what I have...it doesn't look like it would hold it's own. I get a lot of "what is that thing"

The new Camry V6 was tested in the high 13's at 101. Even my 6spd V6 Frontier is capable of around a 15 flat slip, high 14's at around 94 with torque limiting tuned out. Times are changing.

Considering most new cars have 5-6-7 speed auto transmissions. Our 4 speed is a prehistoric joke. Any Maxima, G37, or Lexus would just walk away without even trying hard.

My 94 MB S500 had 315HP and 345lb/tq. and that was a good car/ motor.

I dont consider out cars fast, they are just fast enough for my needs and Im happy with that

yea........but i never get tired of lookin like a badass. lol! :p

cant do that in a camry now can you?? lol.

I don't consider a bolt-on Mark VIII cheating by any means. I consider it making it fair for us. My car weighs over 4000# with me in it. I still currently put out probably the same crank hp as a Hyundai Genesis (310-320 on the current chip tune). So, I've evened it out a little bit running lots of 13.7s on the current chip tune. Holeshot modifications were key. These cars have trouble getting out of their own way when stock. Simple fix. Gears and a stall alone will make the car perform as if it were lighter. Now, if I weighed 3300# like the Hyundai, then I would be in the high 12s. That is modern engineering for ya though considering that they have V6 engines that now put out the hp of the V8s of yesteryear. As long as that is happening, I am going to keep modifying. I could start ripping the interior and bumpers off, but I want to be faster in the comfort of my full street trim luxury automobile. Did someone say race seats and carbon fiber? Pssht. Not my thing. :shifty:

My take?
So you got a late model ricer that'll do this in the quarter. You're also paying on it, will be paying on it for years, have a car that absolutely nobody notices because the highways are full of them, and you'll never get laid because you own one.

X2

Plus it's like I really dig the WRX platform and will eventually buy one, (after my terminator), but around here all the drivers look like :q:q:qs.

Not to mention we get to whip around in a two door sport luxury aluminum block 32 valve cobra powered AMERICAN MADE LINCOLN!

Once upon a time i wanted a fast mark. I did the cobra shocks, tune, carrier bushings, engine mounts, MAF, CAI. Woke the 97 up a lot and I thought it was fast. Then I got my hawk.... 4.10s, magnaflows, full suspension, subframes, solid engine mounts, 6 puck clutch, adjustable master cylinder, short throw shifter and now i know a whole new definition of fast. Just wait till the Y-pipe Long Tube headers and LS6 intake go on.... Low 12's in a car that weighs over 3700 with me in it. It looks bad ass too.

I got my second mark for the luxury. It's hard to look better and ride better in a car that costs as little as these do today.

Remember, back in 1990 a Mark VII LSC would spank almost anything on the road. Today 225hp at the crank in a 4000lb tank wouldn't keep up with a base ford fiesta.

Members online

No members online now.
Back