Another headlight question

Workman1788

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on ways to restore headlights and it looks like Jamie is, by far, the best method. But I kinda want to try it myself. I just have one question that I can't seem to find an answer for, what is being used to replace the chrome backing? On other forums, I've seen anything from spray paint to aluminum foil. I know there's something better to use than that.

And some parts stores even sell it in a wider roll now, which is real nice. Advance Auto had it when i restored mine.

It's also the same material used on the grills and center body stripes on base models

You can even get it from sign shops in very large sections

dont buy it by the wide roll at the parts store, the chrome isnt as lusterous on the 8 inch wide roll i have tried it. the 3 inch wide is the best. autozone and advance auto carry it, both stores have different brands, but autozone carries the trimbrite, advance's version is actually nicer.
this is what advance auto carries and i like better
89016434_spn_t1818_pri_larg.jpg

and autozone's brand is chroma i believe.

Jeremy, has pecker head up there got yours done yet that I sent him? I been a wonderin about them. I haven't been around much lately so I thought I'd ask.

Havent heard anything about them being finished yet. He's been busy lately, so I wasn't going to bother him about them

Havent heard anything about them being finished yet. He's been busy lately, so I wasn't going to bother him about them

He is doing a set for me and Gman, so I guess he is on a first come, first serve basis. Might be a while I sent him my lenses about the end of November. Mine are the Hid/Halogen hybrids, so I imagine they might take longer. The lenses were really scratched up. Great work takes time. When you rush chit your get piss poor results.

Jeremy, has pecker head up there got yours done yet that I sent him? I been a wonderin about them. I haven't been around much lately so I thought I'd ask.

He is doing a set for me and Gman, so I guess he is on a first come, first serve basis. Might be a while I sent him my lenses about the end of November. Mine are the Hid/Halogen hybrids, so I imagine they might take longer. The lenses were really scratched up. Great work takes time. When you rush chit your get piss poor results.

yours are finished, they are in my trunk i finished them after work tonight, hang the expenses are next, then gman's, and then sappers, but sappers are gonna be easy because only a little has to be redone in each housing, i'm trying guys its very hard and i am already married to a motor swap i took on before any of these headlights, i really may have to stop doing these lights i just do not have the time anymore to keep up with this. if it was steady enough i would quit my fulltime job but no way is that gonna happen!

It's good to have a hobby job on the side that you can do at night tho...I wish people would start sending grills to be redone, I need to start making extra cash, or I'm going to have to find another job. Waiting on house sales and getting a shop started is beginnin to look like a pipe dream. Short of whoring out the wife and sellin dope, I'm doing anything for cash right now..and there's just not enough

yours are finished, they are in my trunk i finished them after work tonight, hang the expenses are next, then gman's, and then sappers, but sappers are gonna be easy because only a little has to be redone in each housing, i'm trying guys its very hard and i am already married to a motor swap i took on before any of these headlights, i really may have to stop doing these lights i just do not have the time anymore to keep up with this. if it was steady enough i would quit my fulltime job but no way is that gonna happen!

And you gotta get a pair of heads ready for me :p Busy, busy, busy. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back