American Air Suspension questions.

Iwantmymarkback

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to get rid of the airbags, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me to not do it, or to tell me that the American Air Suspension parts suck, I bought them. this is the look I like, and I'm really looking for just an general overview for what I'm about to get myself into.

I bought the "1.5 lower coils, and I hear that they don't come with the actual shocks or shock mounts? Is it all that hard of a job to do? I have a bunch of experience with mechanics, but have never changed springs. Are the directions really good with this kit?

And finally, any second gen marks with this "1.5 coils in it? Thanks.

It is a very simple straight forward swap. It took me 2 hours to do it for the first time. There will be instructions with the kit & it will guide you through the installation. It will be a strutmasters kit that you get shipped from florida.

Good luck

With a buddy, a floor jack, a set of jack stands, all hand tools, and a few curse words. It took about 2-3 hours, my bolts were a little bit of a pain to get out, took some finessing with a hammer. *****DON'T USE A TORCH ON THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS****** Doing so will weaken the LCA and could result in catastrophic failure. If you can't get them out, take it to a shop. I recommend using some penetrating lube and spraying them several times, several days before you try to do the swap.

Not a difficult job at all, especially with the lowered kit.

Lower control arm bolts may be tough, depending on where you live. PB Blaster is your friend! So is leverage!

Here's my 97. It's got the American Air Lowered kit installed....

05111901.jpg

I try to use the torch/cutoff-wheel as my last resort to everything.

The kit has EVERYTHING? It isn't missing anything?

I did the swap on my old 95 as well with just hand tools and jack stands - and lots of cursing for that lower strut bolt that wouldn't come out after 2+ hours of pounding on it.

I try to use the torch/cutoff-wheel as my last resort to everything.

The kit has EVERYTHING? It isn't missing anything?

The American Air lowered kit includes front struts and rear springs. Mounting hardware is also included.

The kit DOES NOT include rear shock absorbers or shock mounts. Since you're going to be working back there anyway, I advise you to pick up a set and change them too.

I would also replace the rear shocks and modify your shock mounts while your changing the stuff out.... your taking the suspension apart anyways...

so let me get this straight...the kit from american air suspension is missing the shouck mounts and rear shock absorbers. Can I still install this kit without having to buy new shock absorbers/mounts? I am having too many problems with my air suspension and after years and years of torture I told myself "I'M DONE WITH AIR RIDE." So I will be purchasing the 1.5" lowered kit...just wanna make sure I have everything straight and figured out before I start working on her.

Thanks guys

Ok, I think you may be confused with what they are saying. The stock system consists of Front air struts, Rear air bags, and shocks with shock mounts. The shocks and shock mounts are not part of the air ride. Since the struts in the front are integral to the front air bag assemblies, they are also integral with the coil conversion. However, since they are separate on the rear, the conversion only replaces the air bag (with a spring).

Hope this makes sense.

so let me get this straight...the kit from american air suspension is missing the shouck mounts and rear shock absorbers. Can I still install this kit without having to buy new shock absorbers/mounts? I am having too many problems with my air suspension and after years and years of torture I told myself "I'M DONE WITH AIR RIDE." So I will be purchasing the 1.5" lowered kit...just wanna make sure I have everything straight and figured out before I start working on her.

Thanks guys

Shock are a separate item from the air ride. Use Standard 96 Thunderbird Shocks to replace the worn out shocks. You will save a ton of Cash getting T-Bird shocks instead of the Mark VIII shock and you will like the difference.

Everything to replace the air ride will come with your kit.

98lincmk7lsc...THANKS! Your post clarified it perfectly. I understand the setup now...and yeah i was a bit confused. lol
mespock...thank you for your help as well.

This site really is awesome! Its been so long that I haven't posted. Glad to be back!

Members online

No members online now.
Back