AJ34S Jaguar S-Type R engine.

physically - probably.

However - the Jag and LS only used the same engine block - so none of the electronics are the same - so it is no drop in swap.

It would be hard to make the engine controls work. My wife has a Jaguar Vanden Plas, so I did a deep dive into the factory service manuals for the XJ series, which includes the XJR and Super V8 that have the supercharged 4.2 engines. First problem, the 4.2 has variable cam timing, which the Lincoln electronics are not able to control. Because of the differences in displacement, cam profiles, manifolds, etc. You would need a Jaguar PCM. Unfortunately, the Powertrain Control Module also needs to communicate with every other module in the car from the drivers door module, to the EATC, the lighting module, etc. Jag uses different networks that Lincoln. I think I remember seeing SCP in the mix, but there are also two other Jag networks, too.

Therefore you need to be not only a pretty good mechanic, but also an excellent powertrain software developer. If it were my project, I'd drop in the Jag engine and transmission, and create a network bridge that bridges the Jaguar networks with the Ford ones. Even if data on the net wasn't proprietary, and it is so good luck in building a translation table, it's a big job.

Best regards,
Frank C.

First problem, the 4.2 has variable cam timing, which the Lincoln electronics are not able to control.
2nd Gen LSes have the same infinitely-variable cam timing system as the Jags--as I understand it, they both use the system that was developed in Dearborn, though the Jaguaristas would never admit it. IIRC, the Jags do it on intake and exhaust while the LS only does it on the intake, though.

IIRC - the jag uses only a single stepped VVT - like a V-tech - much simpler than the GenII continually variable VVT

Why doesn't someone try this? I know its a lot to front to find out you can't combine a Lincoln AJ 3.9 with a Jag 4.2. There is a 2003 S-Type R engine forsale on ebay right now for $1000 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagu...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thats a pretty decent price if you ask me for an engine that is supposed to be running and includes the harnes and injectors. I would preffer to get bad Jag 4.2 and a bad Lincoln/T-bird 3.9 and combine but you got to take the deals where you can. If nothing else you could resell the engine after confirming you couldn't take the intake off of the Jag motor and put it on the LS. I've got 2 project cars and only a V6 LS or I'd be tempted to do it.

wow.. i wish i knew shiz about cars.. i would do it in a hearbeat. that thing would sound like a beast.

See another thing that gets me wondering. I am a hugh "top gear" fan. its that show from the uk that they like test high end cars and all kinds of crap. They were driving a couple of astin martens and the astin marten has the jag motor (well a little modified) but they have manual trannys in them, were as the only jags they have drivin that has a manual tranny is the xkr-R. So does astin marten have an adaptor plate to put whatever manual tranny on the jags based motor.

Oh never mind then. i guess that answers that. So what about the xkr-R it has a manual trans?
If you're talking about using the XKR's driveline, that would be a major undertaking, given that the Jag and the LS use completely different control systems. It can be done, but, given the specialized knowledge needed, there probably aren't many people who are capable of doing it.

If you're talking about using the XKR's manual tranny, that's an easier project; however, in addition to the all the hardware (which, being Jag parts, won't be inexpensive) you'll need an XCal (or similar) and a programmer who knows how to eliminate the feedback the LS's PCM is expecting to get from the 5R55N/S slushbox. There probably aren't very many of those people, either, but I'd wager they're more common than the previous group.

Members online

Back