Advancetrac, ABS and E-Brake light on

Would a wheel speed sensor possibly make my front right caliper pulse like ABS when all the other brakes are just grabbing? I have had that happen to me twice when braking from higher speeds.

Lol! Okay friday im going to take my wheels off and take a look @ the sensors. And yes I meant moot point... Why did I say mute? >.<

Also I did find that little cylinder looking thing and it had a plug into the top of it, I am guessing that was it.

Where did you all buy your sensors at?

Would a wheel speed sensor possibly make my front right caliper pulse like ABS when all the other brakes are just grabbing? I have had that happen to me twice when braking from higher speeds.

It sure could. If the computer believes the right front is spinning slower than the other 3 corners under breaking or locking up it will pulse that wheel (very over simplified). I'm wondering how you could tell that only one caliper was pulsing. It always feels the same to me. I just feel the pulsing through the pedal whether it is one wheel or all. Depending on the driving situation maybe it was pulsing that one wheel appropriately. If not, it likely was a wheel speed sensor or a computer glitch.

Just wanted to update anyone who searches and has this problem later on.

I just went out and took off all my wheels and cleaned every sensor. They were coverted in dirt and grime. One even had a spider web/nest thingy on it (with a live spider! :O). I cleaned off all of that stuff and got a tool to clean inside of the little slots and put her all back together. Put key in ignition, AdvanceTrac was cleared and working again. However ABS light was still on - so I started the car and rolled about 10 feet of driving, then all error lights went off. Test drove for a good 2 miles and even reenacted the situation that made the lights come on. All is good with my LS now (For now!).

Once again to clarify. Before cleaning sensors I had 'Check AdvanceTrac' and 'ABS' Lights luminated.

It sure could. If the computer believes the right front is spinning slower than the other 3 corners under breaking or locking up it will pulse that wheel (very over simplified). I'm wondering how you could tell that only one caliper was pulsing. It always feels the same to me. I just feel the pulsing through the pedal whether it is one wheel or all. Depending on the driving situation maybe it was pulsing that one wheel appropriately. If not, it likely was a wheel speed sensor or a computer glitch.

It was a really noticeable jerk. I think its a combination of my pads getting low + whatever made it pulse.

How do you take the wheel sensors off? I'm trying to fix this but am not sure how to remove the wheel sensor to clean it. Any Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

There is star screws holding each one. (gen2)

funnyscrew.jpg

You simply undo these screws and the unit should be free.

Just wanted to update anyone who searches and has this problem later on.

I just went out and took off all my wheels and cleaned every sensor. They were coverted in dirt and grime. One even had a spider web/nest thingy on it (with a live spider! :O). I cleaned off all of that stuff and got a tool to clean inside of the little slots and put her all back together. Put key in ignition, AdvanceTrac was cleared and working again. However ABS light was still on - so I started the car and rolled about 10 feet of driving, then all error lights went off. Test drove for a good 2 miles and even reenacted the situation that made the lights come on. All is good with my LS now (For now!).

Once again to clarify. Before cleaning sensors I had 'Check AdvanceTrac' and 'ABS' Lights luminated.

Glad to see this thread updated (albeit 4 months or so ago). I had posted that my Check Traction Control and ABS lights were on for about a year now... but had no idea how to troubleshoot it without paying someone to scan it with an ABS scanner.

Until recently I hadn't driven my LS much, but now it is my daily driver again... so I will try cleaning my sensors starting with the front and see what happens. Time to get it working right because my rear tires are about bald :) and I'm about to replace them... the trac control helps!

What about the Gen1's??? There are no star screws on the wheel speed sensor on my 01'

Wow, I remember this thread. Talk about a throw back...I don't even have my LS anymore!

What about the Gen1's??? There are no star screws on the wheel speed sensor on my 01'

Gen1's all seem to have a clip to hold them in place, you should be able to tell how they are removed.

Hello I'm new to this forum...If I ask a question that has already asked I'm sorry as there are alot of post in here and at the moment I don't have the time to do must researching....

I have an 2003 Lincoln LS V8 with traction control....The traction control light and abs light came on after my wife spun out while taking off...and never went away....About a month from then...(today)..the car started a complete power loss and would not run faster than 30 mph...then it would kinda cough and then open up and run...the traction control light was blinking and I noticed that I could turn off the traction control and the car got better...but the trac light and brake light then comes on....at first it seemed like a gas problem...but the car idles good when in park...I'm thinking that the rear ABS wheel speed sensor went bad...but I'm not sure if its the right or the left one...not even sure..as it might be something else....like the abs module under the hood.....I'm not taking it to a dealership...as I usually fix my own....and I can't afford them....I'm just not in a position to give away money....whats your ideas on where to start..??

I'm needing a service manual (PDF)...and would like to know how to access the codes...your help is appreciated...!

I guess if I'm going to continue to own this car I will need to buy a unit to read the computer...Do you know of a pig tail that will connect to a laptop or a hand held unit that will work with this car.....I seen Auto-Tap...listed in a above post...is this http://www.autotap.com.....the same one??....also were can I find the error code list?

I will do my best to contribute back to the forum with pictures or directions on what I do to fix this problem.

I took my wheels off today to look at the sensors, my 01 ls was built in 00 and my sensors appear as follows:

fronts are the "snap on" type and look like they are a quicker change then the time it takes to pull the wheel off

the backs are different, it looks like one 9mm bolt holding the sensor cable onto the hub, runs to a bracket (this is where mine corroded and cracked away) but then it appears to connect in a really hard to get to area behind the trunk well. I didn't get under the car but I'm not sure how I'll get my hand in there.

there are two available parts listed everywhere, a snap on type and a bolt on type, so I'm assuming on mine the fronts are the snaps and the rear the bolt (but not star as some have said)

I'll post some pics later

I took my wheels off today to look at the sensors, my 01 ls was built in 00 and my sensors appear as follows:

fronts are the "snap on" type and look like they are a quicker change then the time it takes to pull the wheel off

the backs are different, it looks like one 9mm bolt holding the sensor cable onto the hub, runs to a bracket (this is where mine corroded and cracked away) but then it appears to connect in a really hard to get to area behind the trunk well. I didn't get under the car but I'm not sure how I'll get my hand in there.

there are two available parts listed everywhere, a snap on type and a bolt on type, so I'm assuming on mine the fronts are the snaps and the rear the bolt (but not star as some have said)

I'll post some pics later

Fronts are snaps, bolt on are for the second gens. I don't think there are any differences in the rear other than there is only one type for each generation and a right and left side. I ordered mine from Max----> and he will give you the correct parts.
To be sure just take your wheel off and check it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back