Addco Sway Bars

DieselDan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I ordered New front and Rear 1 1/4" sway bars from neverenoughauto on ebay. I have done a lot of searching but I havent found any information, but does anyone know what exactly Addco includes with their bars? As far as rear end links, the kind of sway bar bushings. I think that I have heard that the same part number sway bars have evolved over the years slightly in design and what is included with the bars. Anyone have a picture of everything that was included with the bars? What I want to know is, 1 what kind of rear sway bar links are included (are they any good), 2 do the bars come with collars for the front bar. I thought I had heard that they do, and heard that they don't. I'm not too worried about the bushings as I am going with the greasable ES bushings. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rear swaybars have bushings and endlink kits.

Front only the bushings.

FWIW, you are better off ordering a set of greasable energy suspension bushings, because the addco stuff is junk.

1. The included end links are ok, but you might have to adjust the length, depending upon your ride height.

2. The collars should come with the front bar. If not, let me know, I have a nice pair for sale. ;)

BTW, here's a tip if you have an Addco front sway bar, and the front holes are too large for the OEM sway bar links. And every front Addco bar that I've ever seen has had this issue. :mad:

Use a piece of a stainless steel hose clamp, form it into a cone, and put it in the hole in the sway bar before installing the links. And I'd suggest putting the gap at either 3 or 9 o'clock.

HPIM4212.jpg

HPIM4218.jpg

HPIM4250.jpg

HPIM4252.jpg

+1 on the Addco front bushings sucking, they aren't even round! I ended up using ES greasebale bushings too, but mine still squeak at times no matter what grease I use :(
I had to do what DLF did with the front end links sleeve as well, even though it was the third bar or so and I told them each time the holes were to big! :rolleyes:
I went through hell getting the bars to fit on my car both front and rear, I Think it was 3 front and 2 or so rears... Thou most don't have this issue. Addco was great in helping though :)

I'm converting to coils and adding and Addco 493 (1.125") rear sway bar...this is the end links that were
sent with it- they're about 2" shorter than oem...does this seem right? I'd read on the mark VIII form that it should only be reduced about 1/2 to 3/4''
P3290249_zps99504850.jpg

---
my new used coils are 1.5'' lowered and from a t-bird; it may now be lowered less than 1.5'' now b/c I'm using rubber isolators top/bottom as well as a snowflake center cap as a perch
P3270243_zps9fffbf9f.jpg

P3290254_zps686e0787.jpg

it's running down hill a little bit, I dunno if it's worth adjusting to make 'level'?

How much of a difference do the thicker addco bars make?

Always wondered... thought about using them. I remember reading somewhere that the rear is a piece of cake but the front was a bit of trouble...

The sway bars will make your car handle much better. A lot less body roll... One if the best mods I have ever done!

ericsthename;2037280977. said:
I remember reading somewhere that the rear is a piece of cake ..
it is/was..hard part was paying the 200 clams for a new Addco ;)..they're often in the JY but may need new bushings? b/c the bar is fatter a couple washers/shims are needed on the front side of the clamp to body
swaybardiagram.jpg

diagram from 'BlackiceLSC' per Mark VIII form
I almost did my rear install incorrectly: I (over) tightened the end-link nuts on unloaded suspension-binding the sleeves, then lowered the car...the next day someone clued me in so I loosened em, drove a little bit, then re-tightened them, I've read that they should not be so tight that you can't spin the sleeve...I definitely noticed a handling improvement on the first test drive...now i want one for my brown M8

Members online

No members online now.
Back