Abs

Kevin O'Connell

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Took the mark to the local Ford dealer for an anti-lock brake light on today. The traction control turns on and off by itself too.
They don't have the 60 pin connector and tool to troubleshoot the problem- its obsolete and so are the parts to fix the system even if the tool was avaiable. HELP!

You probably have a dirty ABS wheel sensor, that's usually one of the common issues.

Do yourself and those that would try to help you a favor and put your year model in your sig file, since you dont mention what year car your working on in your post. HAHA

Are you working on a 94 mark 8 or a 49 cosmos?
I had to dig all the way back to new years eve 2006 to find out..

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=28703
(grins)

If it were me, I'd inspect and clean all the abs wheel sensors first.
A good can or two of brake kleen might solve the problem.

Kevin, you've been around here long enough to know not to do that.
:eek:

:F lolol it aint the dealer its the tech. ford dont care about a 10 year old car, so unless the tech has any experience on that car he wont know anything about it. at work im dubbed "the lincoln guy"

Are brake shops able to deal with the ABS system on the 1997 Mark VIII?

I sold a guy the very adapter you need. I put in an email to the guy to see if he would be willing to lend it out or sell it. I'll let you know if it turns out.

This is too weird. Carried six 40 lb sacks of dirt in the trunk for 10 miles from the store and the next time I drove it, the ABS and T/C Fail lights came on and wouldn't reset. Drove it like that for a couple of days. Then the next day, all was fine. No warning lights. Been fine since for a week. Didn't see anything obvious looking at the rear suspension. Baffled. Any ideas what happened, is happening?

My ABS light comes and goes also. I have cleaned them all sanded with like 800 sand paper till everthing shined and still get a light some times. well more times than not.

Are brake shops able to deal with the ABS system on the 1997 Mark VIII?

I sold a guy the very adapter you need. I put in an email to the guy to see if he would be willing to lend it out or sell it. I'll let you know if it turns out.

Eddie,

I received your email and responsed, as I am the guy you sold he adapter to.

Kerrigan,

Unfortunately I'm not able to locate the adapter ever since I've moved. It wouldn't be of use to you though because it doesn't work on the gen 2s. I bought it because I was told it worked for the 97 (which I have), but in all reality it doesn't connect to the harness... $75 bucks wasted on nothing!

I just saw this thread and posted so that you weren't holding out hope for something that doesn't work.

Thank you! The mystery continues. After two days of not working at all (both ABS and TC lights on,) the car went back into normal operating mode and they haven't come on since ... right after I bought all-around used set! This car continues to baffle me.

I swear these cars fix themselves. On mine the steering column wouldn't go in or out when set to Easy Access. And then, suddenly, it did. All on its own. And that's not all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back