A few questions from a new owner :)

My 03 has both Auto lights and auto wipers, the lights always on in Auto though, think the sensor is screwed up, think i have a code for it but i forget.
Sorry, yes all 2003 had auto wipers, and a few 2004 as well.

Sorry, yes all 2003 had auto wipers, and a few 2004 as well.
Now that you mention auto wipers .....do they work at all. I tried them on auto , but its as if the sensor is not working. Its not detecting the water drops at all then it suddenly starts then stops, completely illogical. Seems like a software problem again.....its not a big deal for me the part time feature works fine, so i can regulate from there, but its a nice to have , to show off to my friends with such an old car ,but with fancy features :)

Now that you mention auto wipers .....do they work at all. I tried them on auto , but its as if the sensor is not working. Its not detecting the water drops at all then it suddenly starts then stops, completely illogical. Seems like a software problem again.....its not a big deal for me the part time feature works fine, so i can regulate from there, but its a nice to have , to show off to my friends with such an old car ,but with fancy features :)
I can set mine to Auto but even if the windshield is actively having water poured on it they won't do jack shit.

I can set mine to Auto but even if the windshield is actively having water poured on it they won't do jack shit.
Yep similar for me. This morning was raining a bit, so tested it again it seems to work somehow, but the sensor is not sensitive enough. It works , but it needs too many drops on the windshield to activate. Seems like a software problem, but i am not sure its fixable.

My auto wipers work, but im in Vegas where it rarely rains so i leave them off because in Auto they cycle when i start the car. Not necessary when it rains twice a year, ha

My auto wipers work, but im in Vegas where it rarely rains so i leave them off because in Auto they cycle when i start the car. Not necessary when it rains twice a year, ha
Meanwhile in Florida: non stop storms and hurricanes :(

Meanwhile in Florida: non stop storms and hurricanes :(
Lol, ya that's usually how it usually works! Maybe that's why mine still work, hardly ever activated vs yours activated weekly, ha!

Now that you mention auto wipers .....do they work at all. ...

...i leave them off because in Auto they cycle when i start the car....

Unfortunately, the LS auto wipers did not work as well as the could have, and that "calibration" sweep at startup caused a lot of user confusion. I suspect that all this had a lot to do with them being removed once they knew the LS was not going to continue in production very much longer.

If yours do not work at all, then the sensor and/or prism on the windshield is likely detached. It has to be optically bonded.

Do note that at least some other brands do auto-wipers much better, and with no dry sweep on startup. It's a really great feature to have, when it works correctly.

Unfortunately, the LS auto wipers did not work as well as the could have, and that "calibration" sweep at startup caused a lot of user confusion. I suspect that all this had a lot to do with them being removed once they knew the LS was not going to continue in production very much longer.

If yours do not work at all, then the sensor and/or prism on the windshield is likely detached. It has to be optically bonded.

Do note that at least some other brands do auto-wipers much better, and with no dry sweep on startup. It's a really great feature to have, when it works correctly.
Yea mine works ok, i put them in Auto when it rains, but it only rains twice a year so i don't need the calibration sweep every day, wear out my wiper before it ever rains, ha

My auto-wipers work pretty well, on my 2000. In fact, my washer pump is still good, tested with direct 12V, but the driver is not sending 12V to the pump. I bought a spray bottle for this car and filled it with prestone windshield de-icer that you would normally fill the reservoir with and when I need a wash, I start the car, go to the front, and spray the windshield, which then gets automatically wiped! If it needs more than one wash, no problem, more spray gets more sweeps. And when driving in the rain, the auto wipers are great since they automatically change speed to keep up with increased precipitation rates! It does get the attention of others if they see me doing this, lol.

I did some testing today :) lots of snow here. So as usual its a software problem. I noticed the wipers work fine sometimes sometimes not, but if they start working they work until you shutoff the car and if they dont .....again until you shutoff the car, so its some kind of algorithm that we have to hit in order to engage the auto feature :) I will test some more. Snow and rain are going to be here for the upcoming 2 months.

It calibrates itself on startup each time.
It works by shining near IR light into the windshield at an angle. There is a near IR sensor located where the light should reflect back from where it bounces off the inside of the outer surface of the glass. If a water drop should happen to be where the bounce point is, it will cause the light to bend at the wrong angle and not bounce back to the sensor. It also has to account for the level of near IR light in daylight.

Ok people i am back. Didn't have time before Christmas to try to dig up into the modules with the Forscan. Anyway its done now, so i have some more data to share. Basically after disabling the auto headlights by using the As Built settings from RyLS i was also able to remove two annoying other things from my car. The Key IN chime, when door ajar. This was driving me crazy ...... and the startup ding , which wasn't so annoying , because it was dinging only 3 times, but i have disabled it anyway. So here are the settings that you need. Basically most cars with traction control only come with the following IC settings.
1C1D 0000 3rd is not necessary its only a checksum its auto calculated by Forscan , so i am not including it. This translates to binary : 00011100 00011101 this has door chime and key chime enabled. If you want to change them see below :
141D 0000 - 00011000 00011101 - No startup ding
101D 0000 - 00010000 00011101 - No Door Ajar and no startup ding. For disabling only door Ajar use : 181D

THIS DOES NOT DISABLE THE HEADLIGHTS ON chime. Its still working as expected there, so no worries :)

So now a question to @joegr . Which module do you think controls the car alarm? This thing i want to disable, because if i open the trunk , but do not open the doors and i try to close the trunk , but it does not close the car alarm goes on. It decides someone is opening the trunk and starts the horn. I want the alarm disabled, no one will steal this car in my country . I tried to work with the DDM module and it didnt do the trick. I will try with the IC module , but i dont think it controls the Alarm. Any help is appreciated .

I think that it is the FEM.
Yes, FEM it was indeed thanks for the tip. Problem solved alarm disabled. Only downside is now , when i lock and unlock the car the turn signals no longer blink, but i will live with that. I just double check it with the horn chirp , when locking. For anyone interested you need to change the GEM As Built configuration from 821C 5900 to 801C 5900 and this disables the alarm.

Played a bit more today with the modules it seems the car has indeed a DRL option and it can be activated on any car. There are two options to have the low beams automatically started like it was on my car by default, but this also started the lights on the rear . And there is also a real DRL option that uses the high beams with reduced output and the rear is not illuminated its a real DRL. You can activate it by modifying the GEM module from 821C 0000, which i believe is the default on most 2000-2003 US cars to 829C 0000, which will enable DRL on your car.

Members online

Back