A few questions from a new owner :)

Wonder if we could code that into our 'Murican market cars with Forscan?
It might, i know the dealer can but i don't know much about forscan, I've only figured out how to monitor a few sensors so far but i haven't spent any time reading about it. It can do a lot though if you know how to use it.

At least some of the Gen 1 light switches have "auto" capability. On my Gen 2 I think you just turn the switch to the left... and when you start the car... the headlights come on.

I say "I think" because I modded my gen 2 switch. Pic of Gen 1 switch below.

IMG_20211204_153835744.jpg

At least some of the Gen 1 light switches have "auto" capability. On my Gen 2 I think you just turn the switch to the left... and when you start the car... the headlights come on.

I say "I think" because I modded my gen 2 switch. Pic of Gen 1 switch below.

View attachment 828576787
My Gen1 does have that switch BUT it only toggles the headlights on in low light conditions.

TBH i never checked which bulb is engaged i will check tomorrow, but overall its annoying. Why do i have this Auto feature....its useless in this case. Anyway the Forscan cannot disable the feature. Nothing related to it from the menu , but maybe in the AS BUILT feature, thats why i ask if anyone has any idea ,which module i should experiment . Experimenting with all will required lots of time. Meantime today , while i was comparing both the Forscan and the VCI i noticed VCI had the feature to flash the PCM. I chose the option and it offered me a newer version of the PCM flash. So i flashed it and guess what . The gearbox is now working as expected. No more harsh Drive engagement and some other small strange things that were happening from time to time are gone. The gearbox is completely new beast its perfect now :) I am wondering how the previous owner coped with this software for at least 18 years..........so coming days i will experiment with the AS BUILT codes i have two things that i want to removed. One is the DRL, or headlights depending on ,which one is actually active and the other is the car alarm. If i open the trunk , while the car is locked ,when i close it a bit harsher the car alarm goes on. I dont need this enabled its annoying no one will steal this car where i live, because its probably the only such car in the whole country :)

It might, i know the dealer can but i don't know much about forscan, I've only figured out how to monitor a few sensors so far but i haven't spent any time reading about it. It can do a lot though if you know how to use it.
Btw thats a possibility. In fact you can go to here : https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt
Enter your vin and then paste as screenshot what you got there. Those are basically the AS BUILT defaults of your car . I will compare with mine and test some changes. Eventually this will solve the DRL and a few other things who knows :) So feel free to paste your AS BUILT defaults here . And its not only for you everyone who sees this please paste the screenshot, this will probably help identify some differences. Meantime here are mine, i think the PCM part is not modifyiable but still.

1638653304030.png

My Gen1 does have that switch BUT it only toggles the headlights on in low light conditions.
Still does your car engages any kind of lights , when you start it and put into Drive. Mine has this switch , but it seems useless , because it starts headlights or DRL, or whatever anyway :) Sorry guys, many replies , but i just got so excited, now when my gearbox issues are gone. I am so happy :) the car is so smooth now and so responsive its completely different car.

Still does your car engages any kind of lights , when you start it and put into Drive. Mine has this switch , but it seems useless , because it starts headlights or DRL, or whatever anyway :) Sorry guys, many replies , but i just got so excited, now when may gearbox issues are gone. I am so happy :)
it kinda does? When I go to start it and the switch is set to "Autolamp", it'll briefly kick the lights on, then I think it realizes that it's light out and it's not needed so it shuts them off after a bit.

it kinda does? When I go to start it and the switch is set to "Autolamp", it'll briefly kick the lights on, then I think it realizes that it's light out and it's not needed so it shuts them off after a bit.
Ok in this case , can you check my above post and share your AS BUILT settings :)

Btw thats a possibility. In fact you can go to here : https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt
Enter your vin and then paste as screenshot what you got there. Those are basically the AS BUILT defaults of your car . I will compare with mine and test some changes. Eventually this will solve the DRL and a few other things who knows :) So feel free to paste your AS BUILT defaults here . And its not only for you everyone who sees this please paste the screenshot, this will probably help identify some differences. Meantime here are mine, i think the PCM part is not modifyiable but still.

View attachment 828576788
The FEM controls the lights. Your scan is identifying the FEM as "GEM."

auto lights was dropped together with the rain sensor

classic ford move

Here's my default data pulled from my VIN (02, non sport V8)
Thank you RyLS, i tested with your settings and the problem is solved, no more automatic headlights. Also its not a DRL i verified and its definitely the headlights turning automatically not the high beams with reduced output. So if anyone wants automatic headlights that are switched on as soon as you put the car into drive and remove the handbrake then my GEM module settings are for you. 8254 5900 FF81 this will enable automatic headlights on your car. Now i am going to experiment with the DDM module i think i should be able to remove the annoying key in car chime somehow from there.

auto lights was dropped together with the rain sensor

classic ford move
Nope. Gen II did drop the rain sensing wipers, but auto-lamp remained. My 04 and 06 had automatic headlights. They also turned the lights on automatically when the wipers were on.

A lot of cars use the reflective IR sensor used for the auto-wipers for the auto headlight function. The LS (and many other Fords) used an entirely separate light sensor that is down there with the PATS warning light. That sensor is also used for the sun-load sensor for the climate control.

Thank you RyLS, i tested with your settings and the problem is solved, no more automatic headlights. Also its not a DRL i verified and its definitely the headlights turning automatically not the high beams with reduced output. So if anyone wants automatic headlights that are switched on as soon as you put the car into drive and remove the handbrake then my GEM module settings are for you. 8254 5900 FF81 this will enable automatic headlights on your car. Now i am going to experiment with the DDM module i think i should be able to remove the annoying key in car chime somehow from there.
Pretty sure the key-in chime is a feature controlled by the instrument cluster. If you stop the door ajar signal from the DDM, you'll lose cabin lights on door open and mess up the auto lock.

Nope. Gen II did drop the rain sensing wipers, but auto-lamp remained. My 04 and 06 had automatic headlights. They also turned the lights on automatically when the wipers were on.

A lot of cars use the reflective IR sensor used for the auto-wipers for the auto headlight function. The LS (and many other Fords) used an entirely separate light sensor that is down there with the PATS warning light. That sensor is also used for the sun-load sensor for the climate control.
My 03 has both Auto lights and auto wipers, the lights always on in Auto though, think the sensor is screwed up, think i have a code for it but i forget.

It's a nice feature ...in MN it would be nice to have cars with running/ driving lights on every car because of the unpredictable weather we get here ...it frustrates me to no end when it's raining and cloudy gray during the day and ppl don't turn there lights on ...my LSE has automatic headlights or daytime headlights and I love it ...with headlights and fogger lights lasting as long as they do nowadays and at such a cheap price it's great to have them

Pretty sure the key-in chime is a feature controlled by the instrument cluster. If you stop the door ajar signal from the DDM, you'll lose cabin lights on door open and mess up the auto lock.
I will experiment a bit upcoming days and let you know my results. I am quite aware about how programming of an ECU works and what are the limitations. I am thinking of taking an image of the ECU software with my KESS and then i will try to modify it a bit. Eventually removing 2nd O2 sensor and the EGR part. Also will check the thingie that is hanging besides the left cam cover its again kinda emissions something...... hopefully all those can be removed by software. For me the only thing necessary in a gasoline car about emissions is a catalytic converter everything else is just creating trouble.

I will experiment a bit upcoming days and let you know my results. I am quite aware about how programming of an ECU works and what are the limitations. I am thinking of taking an image of the ECU software with my KESS and then i will try to modify it a bit. Eventually removing 2nd O2 sensor and the EGR part. Also will check the thingie that is hanging besides the left cam cover its again kinda emissions something...... hopefully all those can be removed by software. For me the only thing necessary in a gasoline car about emissions is a catalytic converter everything else is just creating trouble.
Thankfully I live in a state where I don't have inspections, so I could have my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and not have issues registering it/driving it around. Can't wait to open this exhaust up! It's too quiet.

Thankfully I live in a state where I don't have inspections, so I could have my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and not have issues registering it/driving it around. Can't wait to open this exhaust up! It's too quiet.
Its not about the inspections i will probably leave the stuff working, but at some point , when it stops i will just disable it, because sooner or later the emissions shit breaks :) The car is getting too old and i live in Europe. Its basically a no support here, even if i want to. After all the previous owner used the car for 20 years without having the option to fix the gearbox software ....... the new software is a night and day difference. Its a completely different car.

Its not about the inspections i will probably leave the stuff working, but at some point , when it stops i will just disable it, because sooner or later the emissions shit breaks :) The car is getting too old and i live in Europe. Its basically a no support here, even if i want to. After all the previous owner used the car for 20 years without having the option to fix the gearbox software ....... the new software is a night and day difference. Its a completely different car.
Wait wait wait wait wait

You're telling me that your LS was driven 20 years with fucked up PCM programming?!? Lemme tell you, your transmission is bulletproof! Meanwhile, we see folks in here with failed transmissions at 130k miles fairly often.

Wait wait wait wait wait

You're telling me that your LS was driven 20 years with fucked up PCM programming?!? Lemme tell you, your transmission is bulletproof! Meanwhile, we see folks in here with failed transmissions at 130k miles fairly often.
Yes but it wasnt driven too much. The car is at 85K km, which is around 50K miles, plus the problems that i noticed were not that critical. The solenoid of 1st gear , when engaging drive was acting funny and aggressive, solved with the new software. The car sometimes didnt want to go to 1st gear , when stopping and , when you try to launch it was a bit ....slow :) but this was happening very very rarely. Maybe there were other problems that i didnt notice. Also sometimes the gears didnt go back as expected they wanted you to be more aggressive with the gas pedal probably something related to the auto learning feature , also solved with the new SW, but all those will not destroy the transmission. Its just a but annoying to drive and mess up the idle air control , when the car stops and is still is 2nd gear :)

IIRC, the LS will try to launch in 2nd unless you give it over 50% throttle. Jags do the same thing, even the STR.

IIRC, the LS will try to launch in 2nd unless you give it over 50% throttle. Jags do the same thing, even the STR.
It could be, but it was strange , because when it was in 2nd and i move the shifter to another gear it syncs and i felt the solenoid switching the car to 1st . Its most likely a software problem and not a mechanical issue. Still it will not destroy the transmission or damage it. I know this transmission has its weak points but most of them can be solved without removing it from the car. You can replace the solenoids and the valve assembly without removing it from the car and even if you have to remove it its a RWD car :) Its not that difficult. Overall its not a bad designed car i have my knowledge around cars and if you dismiss the plastic stuff around the cooling system and the weak gasket in the back of the AC compressor its a pretty solid car.

Still does your car engages any kind of lights , when you start it and put into Drive. Mine has this switch , but it seems useless , because it starts headlights or DRL, or whatever anyway :) Sorry guys, many replies , but i just got so excited, now when my gearbox issues are gone. I am so happy :) the car is so smooth now and so responsive its completely different car.
That's great news!

Members online

No members online now.
Back