98 mark VIII headers installed

Coherent

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had the headers installed for about a week now and the car's running great. It feels noticeably more powerful, gets much better mileage thanks to the new O2 sensors and the sound is epic. While cruising around town it doesn't drone excessively and with the windows shut you can talk to people and hear the radio without too much trouble. At low rpms and idle it's got a powerful deep sound to it. Flooring the pedal results in a very nice neighborhood rattling roar. Also it's not just loud. It actually has a nice performance sound to it.

The whole setup includes kooks headers, 2 metal core high flow cats, H-pipe, 2.5inch mandrel exhaust systems piping and 2 magnaflow mufflers. I finally bought another usb cable for my camera so here are some pics:cool:

Goodbye old rusted out mufflers, unnecessary 3rd cat other parts of the stock exhaust.
fsale068.jpg

Headers as seen from up above through the engine
fsale063.jpg

High flow cats
fsale066.jpg

It would of been a BIOTCH if someone drove after you and ran that camcorder over. But I think personally and remember I am not a spring chicken anymore, that it is alittle too loud for me. I am getting ready to put dual Hooker Aero Chamber muffs on mine. Not too loud and not too soft, just perrrfect.

But still like to see the additional pics though. If you like it, that is all that counts.

It would of been a BIOTCH if someone drove after you and ran that camcorder over. But I think personally and remember I am not a spring chicken anymore, that it is alittle too loud for me. I am getting ready to put dual Hooker Aero Chamber muffs on mine. Not too loud and not too soft, just perrrfect.

But still like to see the additional pics though. If you like it, that is all that counts.
It was pretty deserted where I was and the cam was off to the side of the road.

It's actually not that loud if you're in the car with the windows up. Most of the noise comes from behind the car.

I'm jealous love the sound.
If you dont mind answering what did it cost labor parts everything?
If the stock tips are in good condition would you cut them off and sell them to me?

I'm jealous love the sound.
If you dont mind answering what did it cost labor parts everything?
If the stock tips are in good condition would you cut them off and sell them to me?
They're all corroded and scratched to hell. Doubt that you'd want them. Anyway the headers+new o2's+header gaskets were like $1040 shipped. Then add in 2 quality high flow cats, H-pipe, mandrel bent tubing, 2x magnaflow mufflers and tips.

For labor it was around $500 for a shop to install the headers and then more for all of the welding and fab work for the exhaust.

That video was pretty awesome, wish you had done a flyby of the camera at 50 or so. That would have been cool to hear the car coming up then flying by. Would have sounded incredible and would be a cool ring tone. I like.

Here are some better pics taken today
Drivers side header
FSale077.jpg

FSale080.jpg

Passenger side header
FSale081.jpg

They're all corroded and scratched to hell. Doubt that you'd want them. Anyway the headers+new o2's+header gaskets were like $1040 shipped. Then add in 2 quality high flow cats, H-pipe, mandrel bent tubing, 2x magnaflow mufflers and tips.

For labor it was around $500 for a shop to install the headers and then more for all of the welding and fab work for the exhaust.

2G's easy. My motor is getting a little tired...blowing some smoke on startup so my plan is to find a donor motor to rebuild then do the headers when I swap motors.

Looks good, if it were me, I would buy from Summit Racing or somewhere a heatshield for that starter. Hate to see those headers frying that starter solenoid prematurely.

sounds awesome man! How much highway drone do you have?

Sucks cause I would love to put headers on my Mark especially after what I was doing today. Took the Twin Turbo Header off the Viper so it could be returned to stock and sold :(
2011-02-04_12-26-26_86.jpg

2011-02-04_16-03-42_264.jpg

Sucks cause I would love to put headers on my Mark especially after what I was doing today. Took the Twin Turbo Header off the Viper so it could be returned to stock and sold :(
2011-02-04_12-26-26_86.jpg

2011-02-04_16-03-42_264.jpg

Was the car run with those headers? They have not even blued yet ,look brand new.

I am not a huge fan of cars making too much noise, but that system looks nice! How much were the hedders??? They looks awesome!

Sound

That mark viii sounds bitchin.I think it sounds just like the mustang in the movie Bullit.Frank would be proud.All it needs now is a 5 speed.

sounds awesome man! How much highway drone do you have?

It has a bit of drone on the highway and driving around the city, but it's nothing unbearable. As long as you keep the windows up you can still talk to people and hear the radio fine unless you're really getting on the pedal.

I am not a huge fan of cars making too much noise, but that system looks nice! How much were the hedders??? They looks awesome!
$800 for the headers.

just a suggestion but replace the rag joint on the sterring shaft with a universial joint to in prove the sterring response and better feel. there is a thread on the site to lead you on what to buy. cheap to do and worth the time.

Members online

Back