97 Mark - No start condition

96hotrodlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Everybody

I've only had it happen twice in the past two weeks and it's after I have been driving it, turn it off for a very short bit and then try to start it back up. Nothing, power is good, everything appears normal but it just doesn't crank. (No starter at all)

No codes stored to explain the issue.

Usually, after waiting a minute or two, everything is good.

Any thoughts on where to start???

crank or cam position sensor. one or the other can cause intermittent no start. cant remember which. maybe both.

edit-nevermind. need more sleep.

He just said the starter won't turn/engage at all. It shouldn't have anything to do with crank sensor but I've been wrong before.

hmm. well that's strange. my bad.
in that case...loose wires. or possibly a solenoid starting to go bad.

When the engine is cold start it and shut it off 7 or 8 times. Then run it up to operating temp and shut it off then try to start. This should tell you whether you have a connection issue or if it's temp related. I've seen plenty of starters not wanna start when they are hot but start fine when cold.

Bet the signal wire on the starter is loose.

my aunt's 2nd gen does this.

When the engine is cold start it and shut it off 7 or 8 times. Then run it up to operating temp and shut it off then try to start. This should tell you whether you have a connection issue or if it's temp related. I've seen plenty of starters not wanna start when they are hot but start fine when cold.

the cougar does this. dad's truck used to.

Napa starters are junk my shop is a napa auto care centre and we have nothing but problems with napa starters and alternators many times car would crank 10 times perfect then click 10 times and no start wait a few and it would start again

But as mentioned check crank wire at starter the spade connector is bad for becoming loose I always replace them with a eyelet once I have a issue or I have a need to replace starter

Members online

No members online now.
Back