95, would not come out of park, would not start.

driveshaft

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if these 2 conditions are related.
The car sat for a while. It would not come out of park, and the fuel pump does not seem to be coming on. The brake lights DO work.

Try the brake stop light switch just above the brake pedal. Foot has to be on the brake pedal for it to start. Bad switch means no start.

I have a feeling the fuel pump is dead from sitting for a couple years. I don't hear anything that would make me believe it comes on. Not sure what to think about the shift being locked.

Try the brake stop light switch just above the brake pedal. Foot has to be on the brake pedal for it to start. Bad switch means no start.

What I meant to explain is that if the BOO switch is malfunctioning it will impede the movement of the shifter, which if it is out of the park position will not allow the car to be turned over. Have you tried sitting in the car with the key in the on position, foot on the brake ,and attempted to move the shifter?

I don't see how the 2 are related. I am afraid the pump may be seized from sitting. The tank was empty. I am getting spark, but no fuel. The engine cranks as normal. I may shoot a spray of carb cleaner in and see if it fires up. It should.
I have tried what you mentioned, roadboss. Still didn't work.

You could take a rag and try the schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure. Be careful watch your eyes..

Now that we know the engine turns over, go and check the wiring harness for the crankshaft positioning sensor. The connections often are corroded or retain moisturize, causing the failure to fire the engine. Wiggle the connection and or get some spray Electrical Cleaner and retry.

Members online

No members online now.
Back