93 Mark VIII VS. 04 350Z?

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So there is this tool that my friend knows that goes to our college. He has a Ninja 250 (Yeah, 250..starter bike) and a stock 04 auto Nissan 350z with a huge wing on it. He found my friend and we chatted for a few min today.

He claims he is a "professional" driver when my friend invited him to a ride around on his bike in some twisties with some sport bike group. Kid drives a 250cc Ninja and probably has never turned a wrench, definitely a pro driver!

Anyway, he also has a (he claims) bone stock 350z with a giant unpainted wing on the back. He doesn't seem to want to race just for fun which I would prefer, he would only want to race for money.

I've seen the video of a Mark VIII vs an 04 350z on youtube, and the Mark edges him out. Except, the youtube mark has gears, stall and a chip I think. My car is bone stock, but will have an off the shelf 93 octane tune from this chip http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=319
in the next week.

I would love nothing more than to shut this kid up. If I knew I would win, I'd throwdown like $50. I'm a broke college kid though, if I lose I'll be pissed and out a good chunk of change. Think I'd be able to take him with just a chip and minor weight reduction? (no spare, take out back seats) If so, what MPH would be best MPH start from a roll? 30? 45?

Oh, this would all be done on a closed course or track.

Best chance for you would be from a 1st gear roll. Keep it in 1st and then hit it and don't hit the rev limiter. With equal drivers he should walk you slowly but you never know.

go from a 40 roll, no faster or you wont catch first. Also if he's only racing for $ he might not be 'stock', this happens all the time. it being an auto i think you would be able to get him. good luck

what all has been done to that mark?

i know it has gears and a blower and a tune. but what els?

And BTW i raced a stock 350Z auto last year. i lost the first race when i left it in Drive. threw her in First and from 30 walked his ass.

what all has been done to that mark?

i know it has gears and a blower and a tune. but what els?

a whole frigging lot.

ENGINE:
Forged bottom end with:
Cobra Crank
Manley rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Manley Flat top Pistons (0.020 over)
SHM Piston rings.
Rotating assembly was balanced and prepared by Seanhylandmotorsports and the Engine was reassembled by ME.
Stock heads ported by Me to match IMRC deletes.
Cobra Intake manifold( Ported by me and runners were shortened 2 inches)

POWER ADDER:
Vortech V2 S trim running 12 PSI of boost.(3.2 Reichard racing 6 rib Pulley)
Anderson Meth Injection.
Upgraded Bypass Valve.
Reichard racing Manual belt tensioner and steel cobra tensioner help keeping the belt tight.

FUEL:
42 Injectors
255 Walbro HP fuel Pump.

Exhaust:
Kooks Headers from SCP.
Dual 2.5 inch into single 3.5 inch pipe and 3.5 inch Dynomax straight through muffler.

Trans:
Stock and original Trans with 94k miles on it with J Mod.
Dirtydog 4200 stall Torque Converter.
2 trans coolers.
trans temp gauge.

Rear end and suspension:
Stock rear end with 4.10 gears and track lock.
03 cobra coupe rear shocks.
KYB front shocks.
Coil over conversion and lowered over 2 inches.
Front sway bar removed.
Hub swapped to 4.5" bolt pattern.
Weld Prostar Wheels.
MMX driveshaft.

Bolt ons or supporting mods.
80mm C&L MAF
Meziere Electric water pump.
BBK 65mm Throttle body.

And a Driver mod

Oh jeez, not another one of these hypotheticals

I hate when these threads come up for one reason only... HP vs. weight ratio.

These damn import craps bring as much hp & they are faster or as fast as our car's with 2 cyl less.

So that right there grinds my gears!

1208281670285.jpg

Oh jeez, not another one of these hypotheticals

Proper grammar was used and am looking for honest opinions from other members with more knowledge. I am no bench racer, simply looking to lay down the smack.

I apologize for nothing. :shifty:

Well if your Mark is stock do not bet anything you can't afford to lose because because I am sad to say you most assuredly will.

My 93 with LSC pipes stomped a Z...and then I almost got to cave the Z drivers head in with a chrome pipe

You will not be laying down any smack without more mods.

Just buy kirks car

LMAO! This is true. I've actually raced the faster 370Z with a manual back before the dyno tune and walked away from him and those cars supposedly run low 13s. Mine has a strong low 13 slip in it now guaranteed. I've also kept well enough ahead of a 2009 WRXsti with the twin turbo and gauges up the pillar. That dude was surprised as hell. But it's all bench racing until I hit the track in October. ;)

But I have plenty of videos on my youtube channel to look through. The car was slow until I finally got a dyno tune. And that's how it becomes an addiction. Enough is never enough. I almost want to erase all of my previous videos because the car seems like a turd. LOL But at the same time, it is like my progress photos that I have taken bodybuilding and they're nice to have to track progress. My car almost feels a full second faster than it did when I cracked off my first high 13 last year. It's crazy. And I really don't have any videos of my car with "minor mods" because I had all of the bolt-ons done all at once. That's what is even more crazy is taking a car with almost full-bolt ons and still making it faster. The Cobra intake and dyno tune was the icing on the cake and I'm still running fat on the air/fuel ratios. None of the track videos on my channel are with the dyno tune including the 13.59 I ran consistent 13.6-13.7s on a chitty mail order tune manually shifting the car because the tune sucked so bad.

This is how the car drives now. And this is what I am hoping to get me a low 13 slip:

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC WOT after Dyno Tune - YouTube

According to my guesstimation from watching the video the car goes from 20-90 in just under 11 seconds.

Oh and yeah, there are too many variables but a 350Z should be faster than a stock Mark VIII. I surely wouldn't want to bet any money on that. And Gen2s are slower than molasses in January stock. If you have a Gen1 with a tune, you might stand a slight chance but that is still a pretty risky bet IMO.

Proper grammar was used and am looking for honest opinions from other members with more knowledge. I am no bench racer, simply looking to lay down the smack.

I apologize for nothing. :shifty:
Just tell him to race for fun and see what happens, and if he insists on racing for money, tell him to stick it in his a$$

Just tell him to race for fun and see what happens, and if he insists on racing for money, tell him to stick it in his a$$

Yep, if he can't do it for fun, then leave it alone. The whole deal may land you a ticket anyway for reckless driving, you never know and at your age, you don't need that on your record at this point and the ticket would be way more than the little $50 race. Just not worth it. It would be safer for you to text and drive!

Good suggestions, I'll just tell him for fun or no go.

Will do some friendly runs with my friends stock 01 GT to see what works best. And no, I don't expect to beat that car, ha.

That video you watched on the tube is 98CobrastarLSC. He used to be on the boards here but sold the car. It ran a 13.62 in the 1/4 mile so it was no slouch.

That video you watched on the tube is 98CobrastarLSC. He used to be on the boards here but sold the car. It ran a 13.62 in the 1/4 mile so it was no slouch.

I was wondering what happened to that guy...

twin turbo wrx sti? thats a rare beast right there. ive never even seen one and i see a lot of cars.

FWIW ive walked an early auto 350Z and surprised the hell out of a revup 350Z at the track.

Members online

No members online now.
Back