93 Mark VIII Progress Thread

Are those real LSC bumpers, or did you fill in the groove?

The car looks damn good by the way!

Looks good man! Now time to get rid of those old 10 spokes!..not sure if you have wheels or not but I've been looking to sell a set of 16"x7" thunderbird super coupe wheels for a long time..they've been sittin in my basment for two years and I need em out of the way, they're in perfect shap..id let em go cheap. On a side note post a video of the exhaust..interested to hear how it sounds.

Well started some work on the interior...

Old door panel

e8q8.jpg

1fo5.jpg

28dm.jpg

97 door panel. The bolt cover and door handle trim won't go on until I know everything is working and rattle free because that trim seems flimsy and I don't wanna be pulling it out over and over again.

ygnq.jpg

y9op.jpg

97 Rear quarter panel

3mw6.jpg

And start work on the driver side also.

oyoe.jpg

Will take some night shots later tonight for light stuff.

Some night shots. I couldn't get good shots of the interior lights but everything does light up from the door handle trim light to the mirror module. I haven't been able to find how to get the mirror module to work so I pulled wires out to my old controller so I can still use my mirrors. I will get some better shots of the interior lights soon.

iv7a.jpg

t7bs.jpg

Love the gen 2 mirrors. Maybe you could make a write up about the install.

I will actually try to when I get the mirror module and the turn signals hooked up. I have pulled the wires for the turn signal into the interior and have tested they work. I'm thinking about splicing them into the turn signal infront of the car with one going to the black wire and the other going to the high side wire (three wires in the front signal, one for ground, one for parking and one for high). I just want to find a way to properly pull the wires.

Did you get all the driver side door switches to work?

Yup, the trunk, fuel, windows, lock, and memory seats all work and light up. The mirror module only lights up for now. I tried the best I could to take the lights.

Driver side: Lock/unlock, windows (button covers are missing), mirror module, memory seats and door handle trim (not attached).
zuyc.jpg

Passenger side: Lock/unlock, window and door handle trim (not attached).
gy8f.jpg

I got my driver’s side Gen II mirror wired up but was unsuccessful with the connections I made. I ran out of time to go back and hook them up correctly. Please post what you find, chances are you will finish these before I will. Nice job on the door panels, how did you mount the door handles?

Finally got a video of the exhaust that I promised a long time ago.

[video=youtube;RSUFykPyB30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUFykPyB30[/video]

First & foremost I love your progress thread. You rock man! That car went from a random, beat, used Mark VIII to a very nice custom Mark VIII. I love that.

Than I gotta give you mad props for the electrical on the doors dude! That's bad @ss! Truly awesome work!

Thanks ultimate for the kind words.

I got my driver’s side Gen II mirror wired up but was unsuccessful with the connections I made. I ran out of time to go back and hook them up correctly. Please post what you find, chances are you will finish these before I will. Nice job on the door panels, how did you mount the door handles?

Sorry I missed your question. I used some factory bolts/nuts that are used to hold most body parts on. I had extra from the crash. They are the 5/16 or 8mm size about an inch long. I did drill new holes but only for one on each side IIRC. I basically put the door panel on and held the door handles in the place I wanted and made points, pulled the door panel off and drilled them.

Doesn't look like leather, way to glossy and not to mention it chips off and doesn't soak into the part. Ahh... more wrongly done stuff.

If you notice there is paint on the "off" sign of the steering wheel hence you can't see anything there. There was also paint on the multifunction switch and the hazard light switch which I had removed (It is the little things that bother me). I always thought it was fading but nope... just paint on it. There was also paint on the rubber grommet that wraps on the top of the steering wheel... that part which was just gummed on... ugh soo much imperfections.
oy1y.jpg

5od4.jpg

Wasn't even removed from the car to paint....:eek:
q67g.jpg

Painted and done. If you notice there is a metal washer on one of the gauge screws. I also hunted down the rattle I had so I removed that whole dash trim to find out what was broken. For now I put a silver washer and will replace it with a black one for temporary until I replace it. For now atleast NO rattles.

nd4y.jpg

Notice it is glossy/wet on parts. I put on preserver that hadn't completely dried yet.
kkmr.jpg

Also got the passenger side trim on and done.

gkqd.jpg

great job, I just starter on mine today. Got so tired of all the dents and dings

What kind of spray gun did you use?

pretty work, pat yourself on the back
----
is that a large/soft button eatc on a 93? :shifty:

The gun is a $15 one from harbor freight tools. Never had an issue with it. I didn't even thin the clear coat, but I just made sure to clean it with the proper thinner every time I finished or after 2-3 fills.

If the "large/soft eatc" is referring to the ac control unit then yes it is the later model one.

Got it done and works fine.

o0aa.jpg

While I had my car pulled apart I decided to go ahead and figure out why my sun visor lights didn't power up. Looks like someone had tried to plug just one wire in the hopes it would work but the visors have two wires while the car only had one. The older marks had a visor which had a internal ground hence only one wire from the car. The newer ones don't. The crappy thing was the ground was cut internally so I couldn't just splice it... anyhow got it done.

kk5r.jpg

cinm.jpg

I also replaced my newer eatc with the older eatc since I actually prefer it over the bubble button eatc.

yfwa.jpg

Also put very bright led bulbs in the puddle lamps. They do light up everything.

m53j.jpg

Converted everything over to a light blue/white color inside with leds. Also put a blue film infront of the message center but it's off.

hcvw.jpg

Sharp looking gen one sir! You have done basically what I have been wanting to do for a while now. Too many other projects and work related stuff getting in the way of fun things.

Need to find a 98 Air bag for that steering wheel now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back