91+ octane?

01LSv6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was curious, with the gas prices like this, what happens if we put like 87/89 octane in an LS? will it ping? or is it 'suggested' by Lincoln to use 91+ octane to achieve the peak power? I don't want to use cheaper gas and detonate, plus its been 90-108* outside the past 2 weeks. Thanks

do a search. this has been covered a zillion times.

Yes It Will Ping,, Yes Its Suggested To Use 91 +

Have U Looked At Ur Gas Cap Door?..lol

Lincoln recommends premium fuel for best performance, although mid-grade will work in a pinch. I don't think midgrade fuel is recommended for extended periods.

And I'll be the first to say it (although its been stated ad nauseum in other threads). If you can't afford the fuel requirement for the LS, you have no business driving this car.

ToddG said:
Lincoln recommends premium fuel for best performance, although mid-grade will work in a pinch. I don't think midgrade fuel is recommended for extended periods.

And I'll be the first to say it (although its been stated ad nauseum in other threads). If you can't afford the fuel requirement for the LS, you have no business driving this car.

+1 and others have mentioned that due to the retarded timing and extra throttle needed for normal driving that the lost MPG by using incorrect fuel effectively negated any savings. Remember premium is typically only 6 or 7 percent more expensive than regular and only 3 percent more expensive than mid grade.

ToddG said:

ToddG said:
beaups said:
+1 and others have mentioned that due to the retarded timing and extra throttle needed for normal driving that the lost MPG by using incorrect fuel effectively negated any savings. Remember premium is typically only 6 or 7 percent more expensive than regular and only 3 percent more expensive than mid grade.

+2. Do the math. In my area, it's $3 difference between regular and premium on a tank of gas. I'm sure an extra $3 dollars isn't going to hurt anyone on an already 40 some odd dollar fill up.

i go back and forth, i once tested my mpg on a road trip and it actually stayed the same. it does make the car ping, though. you know if you drive 60-65 mph, you will get up to 30 mpg. i drive 55 miles to work everyday, and have become numb to the feeling, so when i drive my ls, i get in the slow lane, put the cruise control on 65ish and watch half of a movie on the way to work and the other half on the way home

I did a search, but not an extensive one, and didn't find my answer. Sorry...:) I just wanted to know why they wanted you to use higher octane fuel. I've heard several reasons, but I wanted to know for sure. I always use 91 octane anyway. I used it in my '89 5.0 also when I adjusted the timing from 10* to 16*BTDC to prevent detonation. I'm just used to cars coming from the factory being able to use regular 87 octane. I was just curious. Thanks for the answer. Oh, and you drive and watch a movie at the same time...? cruise control isn't auto pilot lol. Be careful.

I think that the small displacement of the LS engines vs their output is the reason for the higher octane requirement. That manual states for "optimum performance" to use 91+. I had to de-tune my 71 mustang and have head work done to make the car run "normally" on the lower octane non-leaded gas that is avilable today.

Mine ran fine for probably 10 tanks of 89 octane, then began to ping. While it was not pinging, I had no reservations about running it, although I did notice a slight performance decrease. I now run 93 octane (premiun in MS) exclusively and the ping is gone. Oddly enough there is no 91 octane to be found in Mississippi....

I would definitely suggest that you don't run long an octane that makes your car ping.

This has been covere a lot but here goes again...

Each car is going to be different due to deposits and manufacturing tolerances. Some will ping others won't.

91 is the recommended. A normal car should perform at optimum with that.

However, I like to experiment and also have a level of irritation with using high octane IF it is not truly required. I am not an automotive or fuel engineer so these are just my opinions based on trying things out and reading.

I have run my 2004 LSV8 with 87. It will ping fairly easily but not all the time with 87, it might even knock under hard acceleration. I even suspect that it makes the engine stumble under extreme conditions. Mileage does seem to drop a bit with 87. I would not recommend using 87 except in cold weather, easy going cruise conditions.

I use 89 the majority of the time. I rarely get ping and usually only in hot weather and hard acceleration. My mileage is best with 89. I recall reading several times over the past 35+ years that lower octane burns quicker and gives better mileage, as long as it doesn't ping. High octane fuel is harder to burn and thus will give lower mileage unless the computer adjusts timing to the point where it improves the mileage due to more advanced timing.

I run 91+ periodically, usually summer time. I have no problems whatsoever as far as ping etc. My mileage is a bit less than with 89 tho.

The argument revolves around whether the engine computer is able to adjust the timing enough to prevent knock. With lower octane the computer has less range to work with. In my experience most of the high octane engines I have had are able to adjust the timing enough that the engines ping only under heavy load and hot weather. Ping is different from knock and I have read several magazine articles that say a very light ping under conditions like I describe are indications that the engine is getting the most mileage from the fuel and that no harm is done. If the engine knocks that is a different story.

Most recommendations are to 1) Use the fuel that doesn't ping except under occasional extreme conditions, or 2) Follow the manual and you will be safe, but may be spending more money.

When you look at the cost of gas, the MPG of our cars etc, you really only save a few bucks per year using lower octane. It is up to you whhether you want to be cheap and save maybe $50 per year or belly up to premium pricing.

Unless your engine has severe deposits or other mechanical problems, your engine will not blow up contrary to some opinions. I ran one high octane car for 120K miles on 87 in winter, 89 in summer and 91 in hard hot driving. My LS has about 17K miles on it with me "abusing" it by running 89 most of the time and an occasional tank of 87 or 91.

Your mileage may vary,

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back