6-71 blower

radicalrch

LVC Member
Reaction score
i bought a 97 mark 8 three years ago and have been kicking around the idea of making it a door slammer ever since...im a very good fabricator ...just wondering if anyone has seen a teksid 6-71 or 8-71 supercharged engine..i have a 6-71 i was gonna put in my ls1 powered 68 gto convert project but i think a blown mark 8 would be much cooler with those lines....any info or ideas would be helpful

i fabricate lots of sheet metal stuff and restore older muscle cars..i can handle anything sheetmetal or frame wise on the mark...thought i would check here for some advice before i tear into the mechanical aspects..as far as blower intake...stuff like that....didnt think i would get a bunch of smartasses...last time i was on here people were courteous and helpful ....guess that went away or something...i love the body lines on the 8 and think it would be cool with the stuffer sticking out of the hood...

i fabricate lots of sheet metal stuff and restore older muscle cars..

Props to you.

i can handle anything sheetmetal or frame wise on the mark

You must have some skills then, since the Mark don't have a frame. It's unibody.

...thought i would check here for some advice before i tear into the mechanical aspects..as far as blower intake...stuff like that....

There you go, thinking again.

didnt think i would get a bunch of smartasses...

With your writing skills, WTF did you expect? You don't take enough time to write legible sentences, why in hell should I take the time to try to help you?

last time i was on here people were courteous and helpful

Awww. Did the mean smart ass people on the internet get you all butthurt?

....guess that went away or something

Nope. Still here. But we're only courteous to non pinheads.

...i love the body lines on the 8 and think it would be cool with the stuffer sticking out of the hood...

The Mark VIII is not a damned 1960's car. If you really liked it's lines, you'd never even consider sticking a blower out of the hood.

you are right..the mark is a unibody...so are camaros and mustangs , novas and superbees..takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
obviously alot of people dont like blowers sticking out of the hood i just happen to be one of the people who do...there was a chassied out mark on racing junk that kind of peaked my interest and after seeing one tubbed out i thought the blower would add alot more to the prostock look. nobody hurt my feelings at all. ive read up a little about the teksid block and from what ive read it seams like it is built better than the ls1 chevy....that was what really peaked my interest. my son just bought his first lx stang and i gave him a 3:55 gear for it and hes building a 347 stroker...i was looking for a little direction from someone who has messed with blowers or superchargers on these engines to avoid a costly mistake. everyone knows that the cams alone arent cheap....thanks for the help

I once said if I knew the engine was on it's last breath, I'd like to fabricate a flat plane open intake and adapt a 6-71 blower on it. :p

Only because we have a few laying around work off of old detroit 6V71s. :D

Obviously the same boost basics would apply, forged internals not being the least of it. I assume it would need to be cog driven and that in itself would be a massive undertaking.

i say do whatever floats your boat, for a truly talented fabricator basically the sky's the limit, i also love the mark 8 body style but would personally never use anything other than the stock hood but hey that's just my humble opinion

I think it would look great with a big blower sticking out of the hood....huge meats stuffed under it.......full cage in it........I say more power to him.

Like this?

2unp3.jpg

262te7q.jpg

1zhno3.jpg

Different car, but still cool.
161z0vp.jpg

12517c1.jpg

This engine is froma Mark VIII :D
cobralowerwithblowerinstalled.jpg

Anyway the block is good for close to 2000 hp but the rest is not. The heads will flow a good amount as they are but if you need more then 800 HP you should port them. A Cobra crank will allow you to run up to 1200hp at the wheels. Since you need forged pistons and rods then I would also bump it to a 5.0 :D

A Twin Screw is really the easier and cheaper route with the same HP but I understand you are more after the look to go with the power. I like it when I go to the drag strip and see an unassuming 96 T-Bird with a 6-71 sticking out the hood or a Town Car with two snails peeking up through the hood.
Its something different and reminds me of my youth when I thought of crazy stuff like that.

If you have the skills then go for it. I for one wouldnt mind seeing it. To me its better then seeing a fairly nice Mark be stripped and parted off or sent to the crusher. :(

KarKraft was selling 6-71 setups, but they closed and I lost touch as to who picked up the manifolds and pulleys. you may want to search out some of the modular sites to see if some one knows as it has been done.

Oh for pete's sake, I put a 6-71 on a 350 stuffed '76 Oldsmobile Starfire. Stupid ridiculous. Never got a compliment. Wanted to drive the car into a bridge abutment.

A 6-71 has to be cog driven as Driller said. So if it all about show and not go, I say go for it. If you want to put more power to the pavement, there are better and cheaper ways.

My $.02, IMHO , of course.

ok..i ran into a friend at a cruise last nite who told me his cousin cracked a teksid block and supposedly knew someone else who did the same thing.
has anyone heard of this?
i saw the karkraft deal. There is a company that makes a blower adapter and called around for the 97-98 engine setups but they are designed to bolt up to the 02 up dohc engines...problem solved..parts guy at ford says the 02 heads will bolt to the 97 engine. already have the blower and heads and intake are on their way.
any more info anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.
my next step is to pick up another hood....im going to fabricate a gt 500 type scoop to match the lines on the car..ive seen some cobra r type hoods and my question is this.
If the only sharp lines on the car are in the gap openings...door trunk and hood jams...why would the hood not be more rounded instead of looking like anyone elses car hood ? just curious...
Info on these blocks cracking would be helpful...the way he described it sounded like a 302 block...gonna talk to him some more today and try to talk to his cousin and see...thanks for the info so far

what does everyone thinik of this cash for clunkers thing....there are gonna be alot of these cars thoroughly screwed and i honestly feel it will have a big impact on the custom car market just not for ford powered stuff but for everything ....especially with all the rest mods you see going on these days.
that movement just keeps getting bigger and bigger....
i havent seen what they pour into the motors yet but they run them till they sieze and then to the shredder the whole vehicle goes...

what does everyone thinik of this cash for clunkers thing....there are gonna be alot of these cars thoroughly screwed and i honestly feel it will have a big impact on the custom car market just not for ford powered stuff but for everything ....especially with all the rest mods you see going on these days.
that movement just keeps getting bigger and bigger....
i havent seen what they pour into the motors yet but they run them till they sieze and then to the shredder the whole vehicle goes...

What the heck are you talking about? Go back to the honduah forum and dirty up all their posts with your gibberish.

I think anybody can break anything at any time, however, if you would do some searching you will find that the Teksid block that was in the Mark Vlll is the prized block for its strength.

The only way you will crack a teksid block is by a rod going through it or the crank pushed beyond its limits. If the block has forged internals with a Cobra crank then you will have to make well north of 1200 HP to crack the block. If you had good enough internals the block can handle about 1800 before it splits.
As to the 02 heads.... now you have me wondering about you. There was no 02 Cobra, Mach1, Mark VIII so no 32V engines. I dont know what year the Lincoln SUVs got the 32V engines but you are off on that I would bet.

I've seen Teskid blocks take well over 1000 HP. I did see ONE that had a catastrophic failure when the crank came apart at 7000+ rpms with a big shot of nitrous.

I wouldn't worry about the block.

sorry bout the 02 head thing...meant 03 04 heads...parts guy at the ford dealer near me told me about the upper half swap as far as the newer heads and intake bolting up to the older block. It will be another couple months before i can really tear into anything...i have to cars of my own to finish and sell...one is a number matching 75 vette im in the middle of painting and the other is a 68 gto 400 4 spd that i bought off my soon to be exs new boyfriend he had to sell in his divorce. I thought that was an awesome trade as the gto is much easier to maintain.
thanks for the info and links...ill start posting pics once i tear into this thing

Hogan racing manifolds could prob make you an intake for the b heads. You would have to talk to them and establish a price to see if it would be cheaper than the c heads.

With the Mark VIII lines it would make great top end car. Also Teskid blocks are the strongest and the motor is only as strong as the weakest part. Prepare to spend thousands in short block money.

The poject would be sweet and we would need full updates with pictures too:D

Members online

Back